Magazine topic:
Sport

Extreme Sports - Do You Dare?

by :
Rachel Lewis

Yesterday, I did something a bit different. Not only did I turn 23, but I celebrated it for the first time away from my friends and family. By "celebrate", I mean I went bungee jumping.

Are you a bit of an adrenaline junkie? Could you throw yourself out of a plane? Swim with sharks? Go paragliding? It's normal to be very nervous about these crazy activities - not everybody enjoys them, and some would rather not even try. And that's absolutely fine. But for those of you who are interested, here is my review of the latest extreme sport I have tried.

Great Canadian Bungee is the biggest bungee jump in North America, with the rebound alone being bigger than any other bungee jump on the continent. I pre-booked my jump so that I could choose the time for my birthday. This particular jump is very near Canada's capital city, Ottawa. This means it is quite easy to access, but the easiest method of transport is by car.

I arrived, gave my name to the lady at reception, and then had the unpleasant experience of signing the disclaimer. At that point, I questioned myself. I was essentially signing my life away, and saying that if I died, it was not their fault. Wow. I signed anyhow, and a little while later, I was allowed to walk up the path to the scaffolding, where the jump takes place.

I should say that this jump site is rather beautiful, in a rustic way. You are surrounded by white and grey cliffs amongst lots of trees, and are jumping towards blue water (which you can hit when you jump, if you wish). The day I was there was a sunny and warm day, which always helps. After climbing the steps up the scaffolding, the process begins.

We were a group of approximately 10 people in the same jump group, and our jump order was assigned by height (heaviest to lightest), putting me towards the end as men often weigh more than women. I watched several nervous men tentatively fall off the jump platform before my turn arrived. For this reason, I would say bungee jumping is not for the faint-hearted!

Then, our scheduler gave me a waist harness and strapped me into a harness with 2 holes for my feet. We walked to the platform area, where 2 more seasoned bungee jump instructors were waiting to assist me. After double-checking all of my harnesses and safety equipment, I was attached to the jump rope and allowed to walk to the platform edge.

Personally I have no fear of heights. Birds terrify me, but heights are pretty cool with me. After my countdown from 5, I spread my arms into a swan dive and leapt from the platform. The DVD later showed my entire jump to be rather more graceful than I had imagined it to be. The rebounds were almost as good as the first jump, but then the blood did indeed rush to my head. One of my shoes also felt like it might fall off under the strain of holding my body weight until I was lowered into the waiting boat.

To summarise, it was a great experience and a wonderful birthday present to myself, but not as much fun as skydiving. And definitely shorter! But if, like me, you enjoy the feeling of adrenaline, I'd certainly recommend it.

Would you like to do a bungee jump?

Comments

cklj's picture
19482x
cklj 14 December, 2015 - 19:49

I wouldn't dare to do a bungee jump. I'm a person that doesn't love adrenaline that much and I simply don't have the courage needed. I actually am afraid of doing something new and something as dangerous as this. I don't think I will ever have the power to convince myself to do that.

AnD's picture
AnD 9 May, 2014 - 07:53

Well done! Yet, I prefer a bit different kind of extreme. I think, real extreme is something, what noone ever did, like, let's say...go over the world in a boat, or, at least, over Pacific :) I think it's cool XD. I I'll go on and do it someday!

dzeni's picture
dzeni 22 March, 2014 - 09:30

I really enjoy the feeling of adrenaline. In my country, Montenegro, there is one place where organized bungee jumping. It`s river Tara which has canyon ranking at seventh highest in the world. I watched it a few times on tv. It`s really amazing and incredible experience. I want to try it one day.

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 16 July, 2013 - 14:43

I have already seen the video, and I have decided not to try ever any extreme sport. NEVER. I do not wanna die so soon

spongebob's picture
spongebob 28 June, 2013 - 13:52

i saw the video and it was very terrible , she was really hurtet on her back and shoulders
it was really scared
bungee jumping is so exciting but also very dangerous
in fact i don`t like extreme sports
i wanna be alive...

ilyaKZ's picture
ilyaKZ 29 May, 2013 - 10:39

I've wanted to take part in any extreme sport since I knew about them. It is cool and interesting. But it must be safety. I'm not such person, who wanted to have a risk of his life to have adrenaline. It is
foolishly at least...
But I'm pleased to throw myself out of a plane. Certainly, I have a little fear of height but it makes the jumping more interesting =)

Aminat's picture
Aminat 12 May, 2013 - 09:44

I like extreme sports!I have tried once rafting. It was amazing and unforgettable)I want to try more extreme sports such as bungee jump or Deep Water Soloing .I want to jump from a plane with a parachute,I have no fear of heights. I'm not afraid to try new extreme things .I think I could jump out of a plane ,but not to swim with sharks ...In general i really like extreme sport and I think that in the future I will try new extreme sports))))

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 8 March, 2013 - 14:37

I like doing extreme and grazy things but this sport its really dangerous i think

Bora F's picture
Bora F 21 February, 2013 - 18:47

I like crazy thinks and extrem sports are my favorite ...I think that in the futer i can practice bungee jumping...

Mateo Andres Garcia Zambrano's picture
Mateo Andres Ga... 12 February, 2013 - 23:22

mateo garcia 901
i like the xtreme sports becouse i like the adrenaline for all my body
make that sports is very exiting
i liked practice someone day whit my friends and my family

sebastian xD's picture
sebastian xD 12 February, 2013 - 16:40

must be so deep thoughts which then must pass the adrenaline rushing through your veins really cool

sebastian pedroza palacios's picture
sebastian pedro... 12 February, 2013 - 16:40

i find it amazing to read and there are things I liked q as q want to feel the fear goes away and is very fascinating

Mr Cheese's picture
1926x
Mr Cheese 8 February, 2013 - 10:09

I love extreme sports but I haven't any.
I want to jump from a plane with a parachute on my back. It would great!
I love surfing, skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, windsurfing and hang gliding of course. With a delta plane you can see the world from the sky.
But my favorite Xtreme sport is Wingsuit flying. Like a bird or a bat I'll fly with wings!!! Wonderful!!
I think in the whole human history, flying was a dream. Imagine living a dream: No best birthday gift.

Ghost's picture
Ghost 7 February, 2013 - 12:11

Bungee jumping great form of relaxation. He does not suit everyone, but the one who tries to get a lot of adrenaline. I just jumped and I advise everyone to get a lot of impressions!

Hann-y's picture
Hann-y 11 November, 2012 - 15:36

Awww, I always wanted to try something like that. But I haven´t got enough money... But it is still one of my big dreams :)

AnD's picture
AnD 9 May, 2014 - 08:05

That's nice, because, I guess, not everyone would dare! I do love extreme and all these crazy things! But I'm not going to do it nowadays ,not because I want to live long :), but because the risk should be worth something more than a bit of adrenaline!
I think even less people would dare to save a life of a friend, risking your own... I'm not even sure about myself.

Blue sea's picture
Blue sea 15 May, 2012 - 19:20

OhOhooo.....If i were in your position ,i would need a really deep breath..and wouldn't able to step up scaffolding....you were set free in minutes......WELL DONE

Rachel Lewis's picture
Rachel Lewis 16 May, 2012 - 16:26

Thank you! Yes it's certainly not for everybody but it was fantastic. Big deep breath, calm thoughts and pretend you can fly!