Oliver and Alfie are at home when Daisy and Amy arrive. Sophie is in Hammerfest in northern Norway.

We use adverbs of frequency – like sometimes or usually – to say how often we do things, or how often things happen.

I never have any problems with adverbs of frequency.

OK, let's see what you know. We use adverbs of frequency in this order, according to their meaning.

100%           0%
always usually/normally often sometimes occasionally hardly ever never

Are there any missing?

I think that’s most of them. You could include frequently, with usually. We use not very often too.

Very good, you’re right. These are the most common adverbs, although there are more.

They always hang out together.
The Northern Lights are usually green.
You normally see them best in September or March.
It’s often cloudy.

What do you notice about the position of the adverbs?

They are usually before the main verb, or between the auxiliary and the main verb. But they come after the verb to be.

Excellent! Can they also be at the beginning or the end of the sentence?

Yes, I think so. 'Sometimes I'm alone.' That sounds OK.

Yes, we can use some adverbs of frequency at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis.

Occasionally I meet her for a coffee.

We can use usually, often, sometimes and occasionally at the beginning of a sentence, and sometimes and often at the end. We use adverb expressions like a lot or not + (very) much after the main verb too.

She travels a lot.
He doesn’t study very much.

Be careful with never. It is already negative, so we can’t use it with not.

I never go to the supermarket with my mother.

I’ve just remembered some more expressions! What about once a week, twice a year, etc.?

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about those.

Take the medicine three times a day.
We usually go swimming twice a month.
You see them once in a lifetime, if you travel.

You see, I’m not always annoying.

OK, sorry. I’m not always right either. Usually, but not always!

Grammar:

What are your hobbies? How often do you do them?

Comments

ellen's picture
ellen 12 April, 2013 - 17:11

Hello
my name is ellen
How old are you?
Have you been to Azerbaijan?
Please~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Heaven's picture
Heaven 12 April, 2013 - 07:44

hi:) my name is Heaven, I'm 17 My favourite hobby is play football and I think all girl are fantastic!:)

ellen's picture
ellen 11 April, 2013 - 17:49

hELLO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My hobby are drawing picture and collect interesting information into their leisure time on the internet.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
yes Demy
I agree with you commets
Good books are friends. Okey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Demy's picture
Demy 9 April, 2013 - 14:14

Hi;)
Hobby is an interesting and good past time. It s an activity taken up in leisure time ...It keeps the people busy and gives pleasure also. Hobbies are of different kinds, different people have different hobbies. I have a lot of hobbies. One of them is reading.
Reading book is my hobby. I read only good and useful books. To get much useful knowledge from them Books are the chief source that provide knowledge, information and entertainment to our mind. Books brighten our ideas and ennoble our soul. People think that they can get more knowledge from the T.V. and the films, but it is absurd thinking. The best knowledge is stored in books written by master minded geniuses. Books are our best guides and honest friends.
Reading gives much pleasure. I can enjoy the company of great writers by reading their works. I can learn from them good and noble things of life. Good books are friends. They contain the wisdom of ages. They are an endless store of knowledge. We can learn much from them they give us food for the mind. Reading book is the best of all hobbies.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 3 April, 2013 - 15:19

♥i like very much paiting.....i love to draw portrets♥
♥also i like very much dancing.....ecxpecialy when i listen my favourite songs ♥
♥i practice very much them maybe i can say everyday..........that's all♥
♥ i think looks interesting ♥

sgalle's picture
sgalle 12 April, 2013 - 07:42

Hi i have a lot of hobbies , such as...I like play footbal, I'm doing it three days per week, I'm an italian guy, I'm 16...I love also reading books...what r u rading now?