Oliver and Alfie are at home when Daisy and Amy arrive. Sophie is in Hammerfest in northern Norway.

We use adverbs of frequency – like sometimes or usually – to say how often we do things, or how often things happen.

I never have any problems with adverbs of frequency.

OK, let's see what you know. We use adverbs of frequency in this order, according to their meaning.

100%           0%
always usually/normally often sometimes occasionally hardly ever never

Are there any missing?

I think that’s most of them. You could include frequently, with usually. We use not very often too.

Very good, you’re right. These are the most common adverbs, although there are more.

They always hang out together.
The Northern Lights are usually green.
You normally see them best in September or March.
It’s often cloudy.

What do you notice about the position of the adverbs?

They are usually before the main verb, or between the auxiliary and the main verb. But they come after the verb to be.

Excellent! Can they also be at the beginning or the end of the sentence?

Yes, I think so. 'Sometimes I'm alone.' That sounds OK.

Yes, we can use some adverbs of frequency at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis.

Occasionally I meet her for a coffee.

We can use usually, often, sometimes and occasionally at the beginning of a sentence, and sometimes and often at the end. We use adverb expressions like a lot or not + (very) much after the main verb too.

She travels a lot.
He doesn’t study very much.

Be careful with never. It is already negative, so we can’t use it with not.

I never go to the supermarket with my mother.

I’ve just remembered some more expressions! What about once a week, twice a year, etc.?

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about those.

Take the medicine three times a day.
We usually go swimming twice a month.
You see them once in a lifetime, if you travel.

You see, I’m not always annoying.

OK, sorry. I’m not always right either. Usually, but not always!

Grammar:

What are your hobbies? How often do you do them?

Comments

Flo Gert's picture
Flo Gert 19 May, 2013 - 09:06

I like motocycling a lot, and i ride mine every day. I would like ti be a racer in the future... =D

MALINE's picture
MALINE 18 May, 2013 - 03:07

Hi all,I like listening to music and practice my english,I study english everydays or at least I try.

Beka88's picture
Beka88 17 May, 2013 - 22:58

In leisure time ,I love reading special the poetry and I like listen music and browsing Internet

LiliyaM's picture
LiliyaM 15 May, 2013 - 16:39

I love music)I love singing and dancing too)But English is one of my hobbies))))
I love books)If you open the book you start the biggest advanture EVER)you can think that i am crazy,but i like smell of new books)

fatmira n's picture
fatmira n 2 May, 2013 - 15:15

I have many hobbies,,some of thems are dancing,voleyball etc.i practise them when i have leisure time>>>>>>

uninvited's picture
uninvited 29 April, 2013 - 09:36

Hello,I'm a boy from Turkey.I'm 17 years old.I saw nice exercises in there.Then, I registered.Thanks to everybody.

vanianio's picture
vanianio 26 April, 2013 - 12:37

HI everyone, my name is vanianio . I like drawing , listening music , and dreaming. i want to improve and learn my english. I found this website and i hope i can speak english well , and i like to have friend in here to, so i can improve my english hehehehe ^^

Natalija's picture
Natalija 23 April, 2013 - 14:18

I have many hobbies and I think it's very useful, because through hobbies, we develop all our talents and we can find out what do we like the most. I like to read a lot, since I was a child. I read every day, and have so many favourite books.
And dance is my biggest passion-I dedicate it about 4 hours daily, and I can't imagine my life without dancing. It keeps me alive:). I like both ballet and the modern dances, and I could dance every day, ceaseless. And learning languages, of course. I study the new language every year and find it very amusing. I speak fluently four languages-English, French, Spanish and Turkish, and I'd like to improve Arabic, which is so interesting. I know just the basics of this language.
And I liked drawing when I was little, but I haven't practiced for years, so I think I'm not talented anymore, because everything requires practice. I like cooking sometimes, and making pastry and cakes, esp for holidays and for friends and family.
I also like rollerblading and it's the way I spend my time with friends the mostly.

cuty cat's picture
cuty cat 23 April, 2013 - 13:42

well, hi every body, im new here!!
i was practicing in this wed site more then 2 moths ^^
and today i decided to sign up !!
i really enjoy learning, even thought im arabic!!
but i speak english very well!!

Natalija's picture
Natalija 23 April, 2013 - 14:06

Hi, cuty cat:)
It's great you've signed in:). So, I think you're the first girl from Saudi Arabia here:), and I'm the only one from Serbia, at least I think so:).I like your country, but have never visited it. So, could you tell me something about your country and people there? Does the Arabic language is the only native language in Saudi Arabia, or people there speak some other languages too as native language?
Greetings from Serbia:)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 23 April, 2013 - 13:52

Hi cuty cat,
Welcome to LearnEnglish Teens. Now you've signed up you can practise your English even more, by writing comments. :)
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

manikak2002's picture
manikak2002 22 April, 2013 - 18:43

Hi All,
my hobby is sleeping and dreaming about my future.. i will have to work out my English training. I would like to have a friendships here to improve my communication. please let me know if any one is interested. Thanks in advance .

Demy's picture
Demy 22 April, 2013 - 19:10

Hi, manikak2002 ;)
It's good that you want to practice your English on this wonderful site =) I am sure it's will help you to find a lot of answers to all your questions about learning this language. So if you would like I can be your friend =) And if you need any help you can ask me =)
I am waiting for your answer soon <3

manikak2002's picture
manikak2002 23 April, 2013 - 16:34

Hi Demy.. Thank you.!! I'm looking forward to learn new things.. sure. I will need your help. how to improve my communication skills? . I did my schooling in my mother tongue language lusually I use mother tongue to interact with others. I'm afraid when i speak with other in English. I was asked to improve communication. I don't feel any improvements yet. I do watch English movies and i read a news paper..I forget everything with in a hour what ever i read in the morning. Do you able to understand my problems and worries ? Please let me know your thoughts .. Thanks in advance!!

Demy's picture
Demy 25 April, 2013 - 16:33

Hi, manikak2002 =) Sorry for a little late answer...
I understand what do you mean. I had this problem (and sometimes I have it and now). Being able to communicate your thoughts and feelings in a clear manner can be very difficult. You’re not alone....

http://www.usingenglish.com/articles/70-ways-to-improve-your-english.html There you can find many tips, that I always like to use =) Was it helpful? I really do my best to help you.....<3

manikak2002's picture
manikak2002 27 April, 2013 - 16:18

Hi Demi,,Sorry.. I didn't get chance to look at it.. I'm looking into it now.. It looks good.. Thanks for the tips..

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 26 April, 2013 - 08:43

Hi Demy,
I have cut a lot of the text from this comment. Please don't copy and paste text from other websites into your comments. It's very easy for us to see when users have done this. In our House Rules we have this rule:
Do not share content that is not yours

• Do not copy ideas or information without saying where it came from. Only add content that is your original work.

It's great to see that you're helping other users on the website, but please remember this rule. OK?
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Demy's picture
Demy 29 April, 2013 - 16:13

Hi JoEditor, I understand everything =( Big sorry from me...
But all most everything I wrote by myself... And I told about my experience about learning Greek and English. For example as for me a very effective method is singing and I wrote about it... I take only some tips from site, that I have mention there... So sorry again if I made something wrong... I just want to help manikak2002...
Best wishes, Demy

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 29 April, 2013 - 16:52

Hi Demy,
Thanks for your reply. Don't worry at all. I know that you were trying to help manikak2002. We just have to be careful about our users copying from other websites and as part of your reply was copied, I cut it down a lot. Sorry, if I cut some parts that you did write yourself. Ooops!
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Natalija's picture
Natalija 23 April, 2013 - 14:23

Hi, Marli:)
I like dancing, as you, and I've been dancing since I was 5. How long have you been dancing? What kind of dance you like the most and do you dance in a dance group or by yourself?
Greetings:)