What do you think of as typical British food? Roast beef? Fish and chips? Tea and cakes? Or maybe there's more to British food than that? Check out this video to find out about what people in the UK are eating these days.

This video is part of our Word on the Street series. Word on the Street is an exciting new English Language teaching programme co-produced by the BBC and the British Council.

What do you think about British food?

Comments

akyaho's picture
akyaho 5 May, 2013 - 14:03

British tomato salad looks good!!
and Itarian cheese also looks delicious^^
because i love cheese♡

Asaka's picture
Asaka 5 May, 2013 - 13:10

There were many delicious food in the video!!! I have never eaten black pudding. So, I'm looking forward to eating it:) I like fish and chips, too♡

uga's picture
uga 5 May, 2013 - 11:58

When I visited London about 30 years ago, I coud hardly find any foods except a pile of potatoes at a supermarket. But now it seems the situation has been changed.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 5 May, 2013 - 12:21

Hi uga,
If you visited London 30 years ago, you must be older than 17! Our website only allows for users aged between 13 and 17 years old to write comments. Please don't comment again. Parents and teachers can use all the material on our site, but they can't write comments - this space is reserved for teenagers.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

lovecats's picture
lovecats 5 May, 2013 - 11:12

Wow!!! I didn't know only fish and chips so I was glad to know other British food (: I want to try them!

chie250's picture
chie250 5 May, 2013 - 10:36

I've never eaten British food,so I'd love to taste them. Especially, FISH-AND-CHIPS! xD

takumiino's picture
takumiino 5 May, 2013 - 08:51

Black pudding!? Is it really tasty? I want so badly to try! Have you had it before?

Tricia's picture
Tricia 5 May, 2013 - 07:12

This video was really interesting!!!
I think it is very good that people can try a lot of kinds of foods!!!
I would like Britain people to try Japanese food too!!!
I also want to try black pudding!!!

two-coloured-graph's picture
two-coloured-graph 4 May, 2013 - 13:45

British meals seem to be more yummy than I've ever heard or expected!

eri's picture
eri 4 May, 2013 - 09:47

I'd like to have these foods when we go to UK!
I was unlucky that it wouldn't introduce Japanese food:(

May22misa's picture
May22misa 4 May, 2013 - 01:23

The video was so good that I could understand almost all!
I want to try to eat British food.

lia's picture
lia 10 May, 2013 - 04:18

hello Zidny, introduce my name is lia, actually it's my call name. are you Indonesian? nice to see you here. c u

Cana's picture
Cana 3 May, 2013 - 16:18

Ahh they look delicious❤❤I am hungry now! XD
That's so good to get chances to eat food from different cultures.

But I don't think they are healthy like Japanese food. And I want to know that Japanese food is popular in Britain:))

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 4 May, 2013 - 06:50

Hi! One of my friends has sushi every single day. It’s part of his new healthy diet. He has sushi for lunch, and steamed vegetables for dinner. So I think sushi’s getting quite popular now! How about you, do you like eating food from around the world? What food is popular in Japan at the moment? Could you recommend a few Japanese dishes for us to try?

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

pengin's picture
pengin 3 May, 2013 - 14:36

I have never tried British food.
I was Interesting that the leporter said there are many kind of counry food are in Britain, because British food is no good.
I am looking forword to eat food in Britain.

supercell soccer's picture
supercell soccer 3 May, 2013 - 13:08

The "new" English food looks so delicious!
I wonder if there are also Japanese food in the UK

Hanna's picture
Hanna 3 May, 2013 - 12:19

I think British food tastes good. At scool we learned that British people usualy eat oatmeal for breakfast and drink tea with milk all day long. But I see that traditional breakfast is very big and nourishing and doesn`t include poridge.
What is a black pudding?

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 3 May, 2013 - 13:40

Hi Hanna,
It's true that many British people drink lots of cups of tea during the day. To answer your question, black pudding is a type of black sausage made with blood. I think most people would only have a cooked breakfast at the weekend. I think toast or cereals is more popular on a normal school day.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Hanna's picture
Hanna 3 May, 2013 - 13:51

Hello Jo,
Thanks for your answer. Here, in Ukraine, we eat black pudding too, but it has another name(Krovjanka).

greengreendays's picture
greengreendays 3 May, 2013 - 05:51

Looking nice!
I'm studying about food in the UK
So this video was good for me
I will try to cook some foods which I saw in the video

Jenny blaer's picture
Jenny blaer 2 May, 2013 - 13:53

Through this vedio, I can feel that Britain is a multicultural country once more.
I want to try full English breakfast and fish and chips.

Natalija's picture
Natalija 20 April, 2013 - 22:29

Hi, mgguegun;)
I like French kitchen too, and it's one of the best. I like French croissants, la cafe au lait-white coffee and laduree macarons, of course;). Have you ever tried some food from Balcan countries?
Greetings;).

mgueguen's picture
mgueguen 15 April, 2013 - 17:00

I'm french and I think France has the best meals of the world ;p Like 20sep_fm
, a glass of milk is enough for my breakfast , but I would like to taste a full british breakfast !! It looks delicious ! I'm sorry if you don't understand my comment , my English is so bad =0 Thank for this video !

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 21 April, 2013 - 08:03

Hi mgueguen! I'd definitely recommend you try a full English breakfast if you get the chance. It's especially good on a cold morning. It warms you up. And don't worry about your English, you did very well :-)
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Natalija's picture
Natalija 2 April, 2013 - 19:26

I don't like English food, it's too heavy for my taste. And I don't eat eggs and bacon. My favourite breakfast are some cereals with milk and fruits. It's healthy and gives you energy.