Magazine topic:
Music

5 best rock songs for learning English

by :
JoEditor

Listening to music in a foreign language is a great way to learn vocabulary – just find the words online and use a dictionary for anything you don't know. Or just have songs playing while you do your homework. I've tried to choose songs which are easy to understand and can be found on YouTube or Spotify, but which are still brilliant music!

5. Paramore – 'crushcrushcrush'
When you have a 'crush' on someone, you really, REALLY like them, and this song describes this perfectly. Paramore are very popular in England and have written lots of songs, so try 'Misery Business' and the more recent 'Still Into You' too.

4. Biffy Clyro – 'God and Satan'
Not the happiest song ever written, but it's very beautiful. If you want a more lively song by the same band, try 'Bubbles', 'Mountains' or 'Born On A Horse'.

3. The Cure – 'Friday I'm In Love'
OK, so this band was popular in the 1980s, not now, but their music is still great. This song also goes through all the days of the week. And who doesn't love Fridays?! Some of this band's songs are slightly odd, but if you like this try 'Boys Don't Cry' or 'Close To Me'.

2. The King Blues – 'I Got Love'
This is a fun song with a cute message. I saw this band live two years ago at a music festival in Liverpool, England, and they were really cool.

1. 30 Seconds to Mars – 'The Kill'
The perfect song to rock out to if you're stressed! This band also makes amazing music videos which are almost like short films – the video for this song is based on the horror film The Shining and is available on YouTube. More brilliant songs from 30 Seconds to Mars include 'Kings And Queens' and 'This Is War'.

I hope you enjoy listening to these songs – who knows, you might find your new favourite band! Look out for more posts with songs from other styles of music.

Note from editor: The songs on this list are the blogger's personal selection.

Which is your favourite band? Do you agree that listening to music is a good way to improve your English?

Comments

heidenescher's picture
heidenescher 29 March, 2017 - 19:51

my favorite bands are my chemical romance, fall out boy, panic!at the disco, fiatp, bring me the horizon, asking alexandria, one direction and blink-182. and i think that music really helps to improve your language

iva10's picture
iva10 9 September, 2015 - 22:07

My favorite bands are :One direction, One republic, Big time rush, Imagine dragons and much more. I really like to listen to music and also I like to sing.

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 25 April, 2015 - 16:45

One direction!!of couse.noone can beat one direction for any<well it's all directioners's opinion>other bands like westlife,ABBA,Boneyms are some more,but as a teenager of 21st century One direction has taken a large place in my heart whatever happens inside their band..really.and another small request to BC English Teens.as you all and I both see that half of the commentors including myself are directioners can you add more articles about One Direction guys and their songs?please if you can just keep me in touch.

Coffeenn's picture
Coffeenn 30 April, 2015 - 19:18

I like a K-PoP band called Boyfriend, too :) Try to listen please :) My favourite song is "Standing with you" by them ♥

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 30 April, 2015 - 05:58

Hi patchyplum. Thanks for your suggestion and we will pass it on to our team of bloggers. Do you have a favourite member? What kind of One Direction articles would you like to read? Please feel free to add your suggestions, everyone. Thanks :)|
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 4 May, 2015 - 07:28

thanks a lot.well i simply like every single member of 1D and every single moment.Can you just post articles of any news and the response of their fans.i think i'm really unfortuanate never to see all the five of them live on stage.and one thing more don't forget to have Zayn in your articles coz he worths every moment of their success...

Looneytribute0002's picture
11984x
Looneytribute0002 21 January, 2015 - 15:16

It's hard to decide on my favorite band. I love listening to rock bands like Paramore, Fall out Boy, Green day, 30 seconds to Mars, Arctic Monkeys, Nirvana, Queen,Guns n Roses..... ( the list seems to go on)
I personally think that rock bands make the best music and have very meaningful lyrics!!!

Raven's picture
Raven 1 August, 2014 - 20:35

Listening to music is one of the best ways to improve your English.
My favorite bands are thrash metal bands such as Sodom, Kreator, Slayer, etc.

Rio007's picture
Rio007 2 July, 2014 - 17:06

Hello guys,
I love rock music. My favourite band is Guns N' Roses. "Don't cry" and "November rain" are epic. I love the way their music makes me feel, cause it makes me feel good!! :) :)

Aytekin1D's picture
Aytekin1D 24 May, 2014 - 08:04

I really really love ONE DIRECTION. they are perfect .I firet seen in TV programme 'FREEZONE'.
When I listen their songs than I like English.I every day follow their music life.i HAVE ALL SONGS,PICTURES,GAMES,CLIPS and other matirials about ONE DIRECTION.I think I'm REAL BIGGEST ONE DIRECTION's FAN.Because I WRITE SONG,MAKE CLIP FOR MY FAVORITE BAND 'ONE DIRECTION'

SashaArr's picture
SashaArr 8 May, 2014 - 14:01

My favorite bands are One Direction and 30 Seconds to Mars. I think listening music is a good way to learn language, 'cause you like it and want to understand songs. ;D

SweetRobin3's picture
20124x
SweetRobin3 5 April, 2014 - 07:45

my favorite band is ONE DIRECTION
and Union J and Bastille also
my favorite rock-pop band is One Republic, rock bands Queen, Beatles and Linkin Park
i think yes, to listening music in English isa good way to improve English language

BrunaColdplay's picture
BrunaColdplay 23 March, 2014 - 22:13

My favourite band is Coldplay *-*.. Yes, I think that listening musics in english make easy learn english.. It helped me a lot..

dzeni's picture
dzeni 14 March, 2014 - 12:50

My favourite band is 1D. I am sure that listening to music is a good way to improve my English. On that way I learned a lot of words and my friends too.

PrincessViolin's picture
PrincessViolin 18 February, 2014 - 11:05

My favorite band is Colpa
there are some music that quickly remembered
and with this music, you can develop your language

maryagnes's picture
maryagnes 23 December, 2013 - 16:15

My favourite band is Arctic Monkeys, a British band , I also like Coldplay, Linkin Park, U2, The Beatles and others.. I like alternative rock songs.
In my opinion I think that listining music is a good way to improve our english because when we listening a new song in English and if we like the sound we try to understand the lyrics and then we find out the lyrics and translate. So I think that is good listening songs in English :))

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 23 November, 2013 - 14:41

I love music so much. Listening music is very good way to improve your language.
The best band are: Linkin Park, RHCP, Aerosmith, and ofc Metallica <3

WildChild's picture
WildChild 5 November, 2013 - 14:47

Green Day, Pretty Reckless and sometimes I listen to Avril Lavigne. ♥ I really love rock music, specially alternative and hard rock.. :)

Beka4's picture
Beka4 1 November, 2013 - 15:45

Give me an upvote please!!! I am new here... i love rock n roll very much...it's my live... i listening to many rock genres...my favourite is progressieverock....

Beka4's picture
Beka4 31 October, 2013 - 17:10

I love Rock n Roll music very much, it is my life ...I listening to many legend rock bands...but my favourites are: Queen, Led Zeppelin ... music is so interesting, this is main thing of our life :)) <3

Toma English's picture
Toma English 22 October, 2013 - 20:52

I adore One Direction ^_^ , and yes music is a good way to improve my English :) , they helped me to learn new words and read in a good way , also They helped me a lot in the Listening because my number 1 problem was the listening , I started trying to guess the lyrics by myself and then check them via a site for lyrics ,, also I'm obsessed with the boys of 1D so I have to follow them and their meetings and so on , those stuff needs me to be good at listening because I can hardly find a translation for videos of their meetings or maybe I can't find a translation at all , or I can't even find some "lyrics" for the meetings -_-
but really my Listening skills is better than a months ago , and every month it develops and I get better at English :)
also Thank you a lot , LearnEnglish Teens Team , you helped me a lot and I hope you add more and more videos and "listening skills practice" because I need them :)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 22 October, 2013 - 16:11

Hi Hanyc,
Thanks for your comments and welcome to LearnEnglish Teens. Please contact the British Council in Montenegro about the competition. If you need help doing this, send me a message using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the website and I will put you in touch with the people involved.
Thanks a lot! Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Hanyc's picture
Hanyc 22 October, 2013 - 15:53

I'm a big fan of 1D and I love all thier songs ! <3 But I like the songs u have gave us <3 Music helped me to learn English and Greman now I'm on Sweden!Thnx for the advice :)
Can some one help me Im searchin for the contest called:Montenegro english challenge.....

Ame666's picture
Ame666 18 October, 2013 - 12:59

I just can not chose my favorite band. That would be something between Iron maiden, Metallica, Black Veil Brides and Simple plan.
Now, I think it's totally true that music is a great way to improve your English, because if I wasn't listening English songs with lyrics when I was younger, I wouldn't know English as good as I know it now.

HereWeGo's picture
HereWeGo 13 October, 2013 - 13:28

I don't have a favourite band, but I have a favourite singer. I totally agree that listening to music is a good way to improve the English. I always listen music with lyrics, I think It's better. I can hear the words while I am listening to them

Natalija's picture
Natalija 5 October, 2013 - 12:42

I think listening to music is a good way to improve any language. It helped me a lot for learning German. I started listening to some German pop and rock bands, and it really helps.
I like listening to English and American songs too. I like Coldplay, OneRepublic, some songs by Paramore, Red Hot Chili Peppers, some songs by Beatles, Scorpions, Queen, Franz Ferdinand, Vampire Weekend, Maroon 5 and many others.

Gabby's picture
Gabby 4 October, 2013 - 23:29

I don't have a favourite band... It's very difficult to choose only one! I like The Kooks, Placebo, Radiohead and many other bands.
Musics help me to learn english, because I can study doing something that I really enjoy.

Harabeli Supersweet's picture
Harabeli Supersweet 4 October, 2013 - 18:47

My favourite band is Coldplay. I think that listening to the music and paying attention to their lyrics is a great way to learn new words of a specific foreign language. I listen to music in English all the time. I feel so excited when I can understand the lyrics without reading them. It's a really good listening exercise.

Lavender's picture
Lavender 2 October, 2013 - 06:06

1D. I'm charmed by their smiles.
But I'm more and more not fond of them. I know everyone has to grow up but I prefer them as simple as before.
I don't like them dressing up too much. I even hate their tattoos.

monikatoto's picture
monikatoto 30 September, 2013 - 18:02

I think that listeting to music is a very good way to learn some new words. Thank you for this songs!

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 22 October, 2013 - 18:13

yes i absolutely agree with you
my favourite music band is ONE DIRECTION!
i love Zayn Malik. i really learn a few words in english while i`m listening to music