There are so many ways to discover, buy and listen to music. What's the best way? Read more to find out about the exciting music culture in the UK!

Do you download music? Do you buy CDs? Do you listen to music on your phone? Do you prefer to watch music or just to listen? What about the old-fashioned radio? Have you ever seen your favourite band or singer perform live? There are so many ways to discover, buy and listen to music!

Music videos

British teenagers like to watch their music online. Watching music on video streaming sites on the internet is now more popular than listening to the radio with young British people. Popular videos can quickly become extremely popular internationally. Justin Bieber’s song ‘Baby’ was the most watched music video on YouTube until 2012. Then, PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ became the first video to get a billion views. Now, it’s quite common for videos to pass the billion mark. Things can change quickly on YouTube!

Downloading music

Downloading music is a popular choice for young Brits. The BPI (an organisation which promotes the interests of British music) says that people in the UK prefer downloading singles rather than albums. In the UK you can download a single for about £1 and an album for around £10. Using file-sharing websites to download music is often illegal of course but some people still continue to get their music this way. Record companies and many musicians are very unhappy that people can listen to their music without paying for it.

Live music

The O2 in London is the second largest live music arena in Europe. There you can see world-famous bands such as One Direction, Justin Bieber, Scissor Sisters, Prince, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, and Take That. This massive stadium has space for 20,000 people. It also has 548 toilets! Tickets are not cheap. You can pay more than £50 to see a concert at The O2.

What about free live music? There are music festivals across Britain every year that are completely free of charge. Last year more than 150,000 people went to the Tramlines free music festival in Sheffield in the north of England. The two-day festival is held every July. Last year there were 900 performances in total including local bands as well as music from all over the world.

Music on TV

The X Factor is a British television music competition to find new talented singers. The 'X Factor' of the title refers to the difficult-to-define quality that makes a star. The show began in 2004 and is still popular. X Factor singers perform on a stage in front of the judges and a live audience. After the performance the audience at home can vote by phone for their favourite acts. Many winners then go on to get a UK number-one single. But you don’t have to win The X Factor to become famous: One Direction, the massively popular British boy band, competed in 2010 but they didn’t win, they came third!

What kind of music?

What are you and your friends listening to these days? Hip hop, dance, rock, heavy metal, rap, urban, reggae … individual tastes are very varied amongst British teenagers. If a type of music exists then there’s somebody who likes it. But a shopping centre in Birmingham, central England, recently discovered what kind of music some local teenagers don’t like. This is what happened: shoppers and shop owners complained to the police about teenagers behaving badly in the shopping centre. When a new sound system started playing Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, the antisocial behaviour stopped. The young people causing problems had gone! Classical music was clearly not popular with these particular teenagers.

Are you listening to music as you read this?

What do you think is the best way to find and listen to music? Tell us about your favourite music and how you like to listen to it.

Comments

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 29 November, 2013 - 04:06

Hi SandraB. I would definitely encourage you to download music legally, especially to protect your computer from viruses and malware. You can also listen and view songs for free on video sites like YouTube. :)
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

SandraB's picture
SandraB 28 November, 2013 - 21:39

I listen to basically all kind of music.Some of my favourite musicians are Miley Cyrus,Demi Lovato,Drake,Jonas Brothers,Kanye West,Chris Brown,Lily Allen,Britney Spears,Lady Gaga and a lot more.I also admire artists that used to be popular in the '90's.Even though I was born in 2000 I act like a true nineties child.I love Aaaliyah so much,and she is the one of the greatest artists ever.I love all kinds of music and in one moment I'm listening to Demi's ballad and in the other one to Rammstein.I usually listen to it on my phone,and I watch it on Youtube only when a new video comes out.

Leia's picture
Leia 13 November, 2013 - 14:01

I enjoy listening pop song and ballad. I like to watch music videos and just listen with my mp4 or cellphone. It is convinient and wathcing their performance is very cool.

Negar1995's picture
Negar1995 29 August, 2013 - 08:10

i always download music.i think its the best way.i can find every thing!and my favorite music is i cant believe from jeniffer lopez.and persian songs.i like rap too.

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 16 July, 2013 - 14:18

I sometimes used to download music in illegal ways . Downloading music is certainly more practical and convenient to me, because I can store the songs on various devices. After reading this article times ago, I decided to scan my computer viruses. It had got viruses while sharing files with unknown users. Now I do not download so many songs as before (because it cost) But I pay to download them in a legal way. Paying to download songs makes sure both musicians and fans benefit from it.

Toma English's picture
Toma English 3 July, 2013 - 00:07

Oh I think I'm using the Illegal way to download music :( but I always download old songs :D ,, I love calm songs , rap ,ummm I think I like all kinds of music :D
But my fav singers are Adele , Avril lavigne , 1D and Selena Gomez

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 4 July, 2013 - 05:03

Hi Toma English! It's great you enjoy listening to music but a word of advice: use legal ways of downloading music. Otherwise, you could be downloading dangerous files onto your computer. Stay safe!
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Toma English's picture
Toma English 15 July, 2013 - 21:40

I hope I could do so, but it's not easy for me ,, I can't buy any through the internet nor shops!! especially when I want English songs ,, only Arabic songs are available to me :(

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 19 June, 2013 - 09:40

mmm usually i watch music vedios in my computer .. i like to watch hip hop & rap . i like to change my music style .. because it make s me always in touch with the new typs of music ...

ellen's picture
ellen 16 June, 2013 - 17:37

hello tomurcuk
yes, so do I
i like Taylor Swift.
how old are you?
What do you like to make when you have free time?
What English songs do you like? And movies? Please answer.....)))))

tomurcuk's picture
tomurcuk 15 June, 2013 - 18:41

I like to listen music on youtube. My favourite song is "TAYLOR SWIFT\EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED".When I listen it, I feel better.

arpine1997's picture
arpine1997 12 June, 2013 - 08:23

i like to listen One Direction's songs so I am a Directioner and it's my dream to meet them in real

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 4 July, 2013 - 21:39

hi arpine1997,
We share the same dream. One Direction is definitely my life obsession. Being a crazy Directioner sometimes makes my mum mad.
I am happy that I found sb like you that can understand my obsession. love, SARAH K

serap's picture
serap 1 June, 2013 - 17:52

I like to listen to music when I feel bad or good, so I listen lo music everytime ;-)

ellen's picture
ellen 31 May, 2013 - 18:14

Hello, Piяvka
Not problem you know
So do I
Good summer and good holidays.
See you soon my friend.

Piяvka's picture
Piяvka 30 May, 2013 - 15:29

Hello, Ellen.
Sorry for late answer. I prepare for my summer trip in Europe.
Then I will in my town and walk there.
Ellen I can't write for you since 1 June till 17-18 June.
I don't interesting in Evrovision and didn't watch it.
Good summer.
Your Russian friend Piяvka.

Jerry's picture
Jerry 27 May, 2013 - 15:57

Music is relaxing, music is fun, music is good for everybody. It is as important as air or water or food. I could hardly imagine my life without it.

ellen's picture
ellen 24 May, 2013 - 17:46

Hello Dima.
My name is Ruyi.
But Everything say Ellen. How it is?
I am 15 years old.
Maybe, I will go some cities and countryes.
What your plan on three mounth of summer?
Have you been some countries?
Do you like to travel?
Do you prefer to work indoors?
Do you like talking to people?
Do you prefer to work alone?
Are you watching Eurovision Song Consect?
How it is?
Do you like Denmark music?
Do you like this competions Azerbaijan music.
I like Eurovision Song Consect Russia music. She performance it is very nice.
Are you energetic?
Your Azerbaijanian friend Ellen

Zoje10's picture
Zoje10 22 May, 2013 - 20:13

hi Demy,
i read that you were from ukraine. i have never been to ukraine but i always wanted to go there.
can you tell me how is life there.i`m expecting your answer.....................so curious
best wishes

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 21 May, 2013 - 18:22

I like to listen music when i am travelling or even when i am staying or i'm alone at home.My favourite music is pop and rap.

Piяvka's picture
Piяvka 21 May, 2013 - 15:39

Hello, Ellen.
No, I don't know Azerbaijanian's words, but you can tell me some of them.
I think I energetic, but no patien(((((. I like to work. But I don't like organaizing parties. I like to use this organaizing things
I;m 13 years old.
What your plan on three mounth of summer?
Your Russian friend Dima.
What is your name.

Piяvka's picture
Piяvka 21 May, 2013 - 15:25

Hello, Demy
Sorry for very late answer. I was ill. But now I'm well.
I haven't difficults with cycling. But there is the most problem: you can brake you body.
I will spend my holiday with my parents. We want to go to Europe, in diffeerent countries. But my town isn't big and there is a lot of factories and uninhabitant buildings. I can walk there. I live near Moscow. I hear that ther is a hospital in Hovrino(region of Moskow). Many people say that there is very fritened. I want to go there.
I try to describe me in one sentenses: I'm pleasent, funny, and active boy.
Our educational system, I think, normaly. We have six learning days and six lessons every day. I don't want change some there. I've passed my exames on 5. And what about you?
Did you pass your exames?
Your Russian friend.

Angelica's picture
Angelica 20 May, 2013 - 16:34

Hello !!!
I am crayz about music. I love PoP music. I usually listen to the music. I have got mp4 .I listen mp4.
If I listen to music, I will rest.....

jaime c.e.'s picture
jaime c.e. 20 May, 2013 - 13:24

the music is very important for the films, because can give emotion, and can give curiosity