Sophie has just arrived home after a work trip to the United States which turned into a nightmare.

Some verbs are irregular. Their past forms do not end in -ed.

So how do I know which verbs are regular and which are irregular?

You have to learn them!

Learn them from the list? Oh no!

It's not so bad. There aren't really so many verbs to learn and remember that English is much easier than many languages. The past forms don't change.

I took a taxi to the airport. (take → took)
That was when we spoke. (speak → spoke)
One person gave me his last bar of chocolate. (give → gave)

I see what you mean. I made, you made, he made, she made, it made, we made, they made!

Exactly! They're all the same. And the negatives are all formed with did + not + the infinitive without to. The question forms are very similar: did + subject pronoun + the infinitive without to.

What did you do all day in the airport?
Did you have enough food?
We didn't think you would get home in time for your birthday.

OK, you're right, that's not too bad. Are there any exceptions?

Yes the verb to be. The past form is was for I, he, she and it, but were for you, we and they.

It was horrible not being able to phone you two!
There wasn't any food. I was so hungry!
We were stuck in the airport.

So what about this verb list?

Right, here it is!

Present Past Simple Present Past Simple
be was / were begin began
break broke bring brought
steal stole swim swam
take took teach taught
tell told think thought
understand understood wake woke
wear wore win won
write wrote

Wow! OK, so how do I learn these verbs?

There are lots of things you can try:

• Make cards to test yourself – put the infinitive on one side and the past on the other.
  • Write sentences with different verbs in them. Include some negatives.
  • Make up stories and record yourself. The story could just be about what you did last weekend.
  • Do practice activities online. You can start by doing the ones below on this page!

OK, I'm going to start learning them now!

Have you ever been stuck in some terrible weather?

Comments

pparedes984's picture
pparedes984 3 January, 2017 - 03:49

I only been stuckk on rain, One day my friends and I went to buy some stuffs for a project when we came back to my home a terrible rain fall in the city and we didn't have money for thata reason we had to came back walking and we got wet and we had a flew for a few days but it was very funny

VShirleyCh's picture
VShirleyCh 2 January, 2017 - 15:39

The truth that I live in a country that does not have the four seasons, ie no snow falls in my country, neither makes cold nor very great storms, although in the province that I live is too cold and almost always rains, then the climates in which I always get caught in the rain, and it rains a lot all day, so I'm almost always trapped in a bad weather hahaha, although it is not so much like in other countries that terrible storms, that destroy houses or flood places. And for that I am very grateful.

AlanIgnacio19's picture
AlanIgnacio19 23 August, 2016 - 20:48

This is reallt helpful, I think I know everything now for so far, that you very much it was really helpful! Great website!

shamim's picture
shamim 5 August, 2016 - 19:42

I remember when I was a kid, we went to trip (my family and me) we started our trip at early morning...on the way we stuck in morning fog...It was terrible!!! my dad was driving but he couldn't see the front!!! he stopped the car on the roadside, we stayed there for a few hours...when fog disappeared, we continued our trip.

englishmeow's picture
englishmeow 7 June, 2016 - 23:31

I once had a flight from Hong Kong to Chicago and there was a typhoon. Our flight was delayed 5 hours and we had a 3 hour ground stop. Many people were stuck at the airport.

Roby666's picture
Roby666 2 July, 2014 - 02:15

Hi there
i want to thank all the staff for this great website
i was looking for this useful lessons for along time
and i'm so glad because most of my answers are correct :)

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 2 July, 2014 - 11:42

Hi Roby666. Thanks for your comment! It makes us very happy to hear that you find our site useful :) Please keep on visiting LearnEnglish Teens and let us know what you like on here. Good luck with your studies!
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

nguyenvuhau's picture
nguyenvuhau 23 May, 2014 - 05:39

I've never been stuck in a terrible weather. Sometimes I must shelter from the rain when I lose my raincoat or I have problem with my old motorbike.

dzeni's picture
dzeni 16 March, 2014 - 17:05

I learnt irregular verbs last year so I know all verbs from this table. Thanks British Council for all these exercises. They are very helpful.

Nerminka's picture
Nerminka 9 March, 2014 - 17:50

British council learn english teens is very good. This site helped me for learn english

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 2 February, 2014 - 19:06

Hi Tanna,
Sorry, but for copyright reasons you are not allowed to download our Grammar videos.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

nikki's picture
nikki 14 November, 2013 - 11:34

i love your web its really useful but the videos wont play i tried it whit other browsers but it didn't worked