This section gives you  help and advice for all types of reading tests and exams. We explain what you can do before a reading exam and during the exam to get top marks.

This section offers you lots of advice for reading exams and tests. Read the advice and do the exercises in this section so you are really well prepared for the next time you have a reading exam. Remember that the best way to improve your reading is to read as much as possible. Reading web pages, magazines, comics, graphic novels or song lyrics is all good practice.

Use the 'Book navigation'  box on the right-hand side of the page to work through this section.

How do you feel about reading exams? Have you had any problems or difficulties when reading? Tell us about your experiences.

Comments

lavanya's picture
lavanya 7 June, 2012 - 13:20

Actually, no. But i'm always getting into trouble because I can read a lot faster than other students and the teacher thinks I didn't read at all!!

mari@ch tunisia's picture
mari@ch tunisia 30 May, 2012 - 15:53

Well ;when I was sitting for my first reading exam ,I didn't understand the text but the exam after ;I had a probleme answering the questions and finding the exact words . I have this probleme until now and I don't know what should I do ! :)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 30 May, 2012 - 19:43

Hi Mari@ch tunisia,
The best thing you can do to improve your reading is..... to read a lot! Reading as much as possible in English, on websites, books, song lyrics or magazines will help you to improve. Read all of this section about reading exams, then try to read the stories in improve your reading. Start at Level 1 and see if you can understand them. Tell us how you do. Good luck!
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

mari@ch tunisia's picture
mari@ch tunisia 31 May, 2012 - 11:33

Hi Jo,
Thanks a lot!
I have already read a story:"the text"I got 100% for the "true or false" but i got only 80% for the ordering!

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 31 May, 2012 - 16:59

Hi mari@ch tunisia,
That's great! It sounds like your reading is improving already. Keep up the good work and please write comments on the stories and articles you read in the Improve your reading section. We would like to know which ones you enjoy most.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Iced Milk Coffee's picture
Iced Milk Coffee 19 May, 2012 - 12:19

Well, I think that my problem in reading is I tend to translate English into my native language. And this really takes my time!
I know it'll be better if I think about the context of the reading in English, but when I work with the reading in my language, it seems to be easier and I can get the meaning more quickly. I don't know what I should do to stop doing that... :)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 19 May, 2012 - 16:40

Hi Iced Milk Coffee,
From your comment I can see you have a very good level of English. :) I think translating in your head is natural when you're learning a language, but the more you read and practise, the easier it will be to read in English without translating everything into your language. Read as much as you can, and soon it will become natural to read without translating. Good luck!
Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Simon's picture
Simon 15 May, 2012 - 02:22

Excellent, niky_02nqn  sometimes learning words by yourself is the best way to remember new words, Do you have any tips to help others learn words by themselves?

My students make a list of new words and their meaning in their notebooks. Then they review these words every Sunday!

Simon (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Jelena S's picture
Jelena S 30 November, 2012 - 14:37

At my school,we also make a list oof words and then we translate them,it`s very easy than,but i like learning words by diffrent way.I love Justin Bieber and all teen stArs so i learn a lot of words thanks to music and movies are a help to :D

megadeth's picture
megadeth 11 January, 2013 - 12:41

hi Jelena!where are you from?and something.
you listen to Justin Bieber?(sorry its just my opinion!! :)

niky_02nqn's picture
niky_02nqn 30 June, 2012 - 00:54

Hello there! I'm so sorry! I haven't seen your answer!
Well, my best way to remember new words is writting, drawing, and listening them! That's it!
Best wishes and so sorry again!
Thank u so much for feedback!!! :)

ona's picture
ona 4 February, 2013 - 18:54

Hi niky 02nqn I m from Albania, Albania say helo to argenrina I speak very good spanish but we have to learn english don t you think.Anyway I have to say that I speak spanish but I can t write ,so (un plaser a conoserte<3)

niky_02nqn's picture
niky_02nqn 13 May, 2012 - 20:33

well,,,not always,,but sometimes I didn't know words and my teacher didn't teach me what they meant!!!!!
so,, I´ll learn for myself!
=)

lili's picture
lili 8 December, 2013 - 10:12

hey niky_02nqn
I totally agree with you sometimes it's hard especially when your teacher doesn't explain it this happened to me too... and i hate it... :) <3