Magazine topic:
Books

Colombian bookshops - full of classics

by :
IainG

Reading is a wonderful way to escape the real world, and a cheap way to forget about your troubles. Here in Colombia, though, it seems that very few people read for pleasure on a regular basis.

Picking up a book to read can be a fantastic form of entertainment. Reading fiction can help you to forget about - or simply ignore - the real world for a short time. Books can be funny, moving, interesting, exciting, inspiring, frightening, or thrilling. Sometimes even all of the above and more. Books are places where you can let your imagination run wild.

For those who don't like the world of fiction, however, there are plenty of choices in the non-fiction section: biographies and autobiographies allow a reader to learn about a specific person, and entire floors of bookshops are filled with books on all subjects from history to music to film, to anything you can imagine.

Back in Colombia, there is a strong literary tradition. Colombia has many well-known authors who have written - and continue to create - many wonderful and compelling stories. On the international level, Colombia also enjoys an excellent reputation: the books and short stories written by the country's very own Gabriel García Márquez are famous around the world. As well as writing novels that are read across the globe, some - including "Love in the Time of Cholera" - have also been turned into very successful films.

With such a wide choice of genres, and such exceptional home-grown talent, then, why do so few Colombians read? I spent the first few months of my time in Colombia asking this very question. After a quick visit to the local bookshop, though, I quickly found an answer to this question.

Bookshops here are often filled with "classic" books. Almost all were written over 100 years ago, many even longer ago. As a result the language is very difficult for the modern reader.

These "classics" are important and excellent works - including the likes of Shakespeare, Cervantes, Homer and Voltaire - but they are not easy reading. They are books that require a lot of effort to understand and, therefore, are not relaxing. Consequently, they are off-putting for many people, particularly Colombians.

Colombians are not lazy people and I am sure that they would enjoy reading. They just need to be given more and better choices.

Do you like reading a lot? Are there lots of good choices of books where you live?

Comments

Martin159's picture
Martin159 3 February, 2016 - 02:18

I am from Colombia, I Iike read too much, when I come back from the school at 13:00 I often read a book under a tree and finished at 15:00. In my house we have a huge library whit many books and my town has a big library. :).

Negar1995's picture
Negar1995 9 August, 2014 - 08:24

i love reading and i spend most of my time on reading books and magazines.thanks God we have many good books in Iran...!!!

Gali_N89's picture
Gali_N89 5 June, 2014 - 01:33

Colombia, I should read to their writers, most of the novels and stories of Gabo, are set in Colombia, but in another time and I think for people there, it would be nice seeing as it was their land.

diebalbuena's picture
diebalbuena 27 May, 2014 - 05:18

Yes,i am balbuena, I like reading very much. In my country there arent lots of good choices of books. You can find something interesting just during the book fairand there are many libraries.

MiuMiu's picture
MiuMiu 2 May, 2014 - 09:57

"All God's children need travelling shoes
Drive your problems from here
All good people read good books
Now your conscience is clear
..."
Twist in My Sobriety song
by Tanita Tikaram

I am listening :)

cklj's picture
19481x
cklj 30 March, 2014 - 19:53

I love reading, always have and always will. In my city there are lots of great choices because of the many bookshops and libraries. I often visit them.

Amazing's picture
1962x
Amazing 15 March, 2014 - 22:14

I love reading.
In my town, there are many bookstores and many choices of books.
Today, I attended a literary event in my town.

dzeni's picture
dzeni 15 March, 2014 - 16:08

Yes, I like reading very much. In my country there aren`t lots of good choices of books. You can find something interesting just during the book fair.

LeKunzDew's picture
LeKunzDew 15 March, 2014 - 01:19

Hi! Im glad you had visited my country! Its such a shame we're not much of a reader people but we still having amazing well known writers! Thanks for posting :)) oh almost forgot! Im really into the reading thing now!

Harabeli Supersweet's picture
Harabeli Supersweet 14 March, 2014 - 13:18

I love reading. There are a lot of good choices of books where I live. I can find books in different languages here. I don't mind spending money on books, because I think when I buy a book, it's something earned and not something wasted.

Natalija's picture
Natalija 13 March, 2014 - 13:28

I adore reading, I spend most of my free time on reading. Yes, there are some really good bookstores in Serbia, I like to buy books.