Magazine topic:
Entertainment

The Sound of Music

by :
HannahW

I am coming towards the end of my stay in Salzburg and couldn’t leave without writing about The Sound of Music. The film was set in Salzburg, but most Austrians have never seen it. There are tour buses that take tourists around to visit the various sites in the film, and yet many locals don’t know the story.

I have grown up with this famous British film. All of my friends have seen it, most of them numerous times, and most people I know would be able to sing along with the songs. It is based on the true story of the Von Trapp family, a very musically talented Austrian family who made a stand against the Nazis. The star character is Maria, a nun who comes to stay with the family to help look after the children. I won’t spoil the rest of the story for you, but there’s romance, adventure and lots of singing!

When my friend came to visit from England, her top request was that we go on a Sound of Music tour. I decided that a bicycle tour would be better than a bus tour, because it would mean we would be able to explore more of the city and get some exercise too! We set off in the morning with a group of about ten other Sound of Music enthusiasts. Our guide was lovely and told us lots of facts about the film that we hadn’t known before. When we arrived at sites where songs are sung in the film, our guide got us to re-enact the scenes, which was a lot of fun (despite the bemused looks we got from passers-by!)

More recently I was lucky enough to go to the theatre in Salzburg to see the Sound of Music theatre production. The show is very popular in London and I was delighted to be able to see the German-language version in the very city where the story is based. The performance was full of energy, the orchestra was fantastic and I enjoyed every minute of it! At the end the cast sung a few of the most famous songs again in English, no doubt for the benefit of the British fans in the audience.

I can’t wait to return home to watch the film again - I will be able to point out scenes and say ‘I walked past that every day!’

Have you heard of The Sound of Music? Have you ever visited a place that you had previously seen in a film? Which films are special to you?

Comments

olybos's picture
olybos 7 July, 2014 - 05:55

When I first red this article I didnt like it.But when I red it more and more times it impressed me a lot.The title of the article made me thought a lot of things.I really enjoyed this article and I found it very interesting.I
want many articles to be like that because it attracts people to read articles like that.

SemaSou's picture
SemaSou 12 June, 2014 - 09:22

When I have first read the title of the article I thought it was about the importance of music or something like that it was only later when I had dwelt in it that I discovered it was in fact a title of a movie. and that pushed me to search for it on the net and to my great surprise I didn't only knew the story but it happens to be one of the best serials I have ever watched during my childhood , as a serial exists as well as a movie , the fact is that I have watched the arabic version and not the english one.. I must be thankful for the simple hearing of the melodies made me shiver with excitement and filled my heart with an euphoric nostalgia... The great epoch !

GerardG9's picture
GerardG9 10 June, 2014 - 03:12

I have visited places that I've seen in films but not some famous films. I've also visited places that I've seen in series and I think that is very interesting, to walk where the actors and actresses walked.
i Like this article .

diegbonilla's picture
diegbonilla 5 June, 2014 - 17:00

i like... think that I'll watch it soon.

JairHan's picture
JairHan 29 May, 2014 - 01:19

The article did not seem so interesting to me because it talks about a movie that even I know, I welcome the idea was to count as exercise bike but because it became interesting

cklj's picture
19483x
cklj 23 May, 2014 - 20:13

No I haven't heard for The Sound of Music before. I think that I'll watch it soon.
There are many films that I like but The Hunger Games is special to me.

miguelmora's picture
miguelmora 22 May, 2014 - 05:12

I found interesting article talking about this movie the sound of music and talk about the bike ride is so fun and inspires young people to exercise and get to know the city as well as it did.

Khaleesi's picture
Khaleesi 20 May, 2014 - 11:27

Aye, I've heard of it, but I haven't watched it. And from what I saw in the clips and trailers, the locations are amazing.
Sadly, I haven't been to any famous filming sites.
I think the most special franchise to me is Harry Potter. (It got me into the Fantasy genre, so I'm very grateful for that) The Star Wars saga takes the second place. Also (Like most) I'm very fond of Disney movies.

Negar1995's picture
Negar1995 12 July, 2014 - 07:35

i love harry potter too.i think stories of harry potter are great!!!

but i havent seen the sound of music.