Magazine topic:
Life around the world

Like two different worlds

by :
KatieS

I come from London in England - a very big city! Over 8 million people live in London, and it's always busy with tourists from other places too. So moving to a little town with only 15,000 people was a big change for me! I am living in a little countryside town in Germany at the moment. I thought I would always prefer living in a city, but it turns out there are good and bad things about both.

In the countryside, the towns are smaller and so everyone knows each other. That's nice because people are usually friendly! At home in London, I don't even know my neighbours!

Another nice thing about the countryside is that it's very green and there's lots of fresh air. I like nature, and it's nice to see how the seasons change the trees. When I arrived in autumn, the leaves turned red, gold and brown. Next came winter, and the branches were bare, sometimes covered in a white layer of frost! And now spring is here, there is blossom on the trees and things are starting to grow again.

When I walk through the little town here, it is often still and quiet, and there's a feeling of peace that doesn't exist in London. In London there are always people around, even in the middle of the night. My favourite thing about living in the countryside is that at night I can see thousands of stars. At home I can barely see any! That's because there's too much light in the city, but here everything is dark and the stars twinkle like diamonds in the sky.

One thing I do like about living in a city is that it's easy to travel. We have the tube (underground trains), buses and trains, and we even have buses that run all night. Here, the last train is before 9pm, and there's only one an hour!  At first that was hard to get used to, but now I always remember to plan my journeys carefully - I don't want to miss the last train!

Another good thing about cities is that there are lots of shops, so you can usually find what you need. In my town here there aren't many shops, so I have to go to the nearest city if I want to go shopping for clothes! We do have supermarkets though, and lots of bakeries - yum! I am lucky enough to live above a bakery, so I often try new types of bread and delicious cakes! The people in the bakery are always friendly too, and they remember me because I often go there!

I've been here for over 6 months now, and I've got used to the peaceful, quiet town here. Now it feels like a shock when I go back to London and there are so many people, and everyone is always in a rush! I don't like how busy it is in cities, it's too stressful!

I always thought I was a city girl, but now I've been here I like the countryside too. They are like two different worlds, but both feel like home!

What do you like about cities? And what about the countryside? Do you think it's better to live in the city or in the country?

Comments

hermione123's picture
hermione123 28 March, 2021 - 14:05

I live in between one of the biggest cities in my country and a suburban. And it's fun because it's not so busy. Well still busy actually, on the weekend there's always a traffic in front of my house (my house is located in a main road), and in the middle of the night there are always some cars driving so it's never quiet at night. And because it's really near the city, I can go to malls and cinemas easily. However it's always crowded so my family usually take a walk in a fields and villages in the suburban. We also have many nice neighbours even though i don't know much about them. I don't have so many neighbours actually, living in the main road means your neighbours usually are shops or offices or restaurants. Still, I love where I live now :D

NamTien2000's picture
NamTien2000 25 June, 2016 - 04:18

I was born in a small town in Ha Noi. I have been living here for 17 years now. i live with my parents, my young sister. there are many neighbours, they are so friendly, supportive. it's fresher air in town than city centre because in the city there are high building. However, I get used to going to school in the city. it's so far. after finishing lesson, i would prefer to return my little town because of peace

Rio007's picture
Rio007 13 September, 2014 - 14:25

To be honest i don't really like to live in the countryside because i am a person who likes the city rush, who loves being busy all day and who adores all the city lights!! In the essay i read the part when it was written that in the countryside the towns are smaller and so everyone knows each other and that was nice because people were friendly, but this is the good side of the medal the other side is that because the towns are smaller people tend to like gossip and don't always mind their own buisness but feel the need to judge everybody elses moves and that is wrong....I am not saying that this doesn't happen in cities too but in the countryside is more likeable to happen. I live in a big city and never get to rest much so i am not going to say that i don't like to spend 2 weeks in the countryside because that would be a lie. I sometimes need the peace that the countryside offers when i am exhausted from that noise and stress that is always our companion. I said that i like the city rush and the city lights but humans need rest and peace too and i can only find it when i am lying in the fresh grass up in a hill, surrounded by Nothing and where the loudest thoughts that i hear are me thoughts, nothing else!! This is heaven on the countryside! :)

Amigo110's picture
Amigo110 9 April, 2014 - 17:53

Reading this assay makes me to remember about my countriside..I left my peaceful country and arrived to a crowded city when i was a 5th grade boy..All my childhood memory relates to this palace..I remember my small house besides a large garden with many kinds of plant..at that time, I and my sister lived with mom, my dad was rarely at home because of his business..I remember when the summer came, I often went to swimming in the river with my friends. We climbed on the fence of bridge ....and shout " 1..2..3 as fast as a fish , we jumped down cold water together, we dived as deep as we can and then float on the water ...we pull down the youngest boy's head under water and laugh..It's most interesting moment i could ever forget..I remember the moment we went to the field at night, we put candes in a box and made it became light to lead us went on right way in the dark..we sang , chatted and laughed, the are many stars in sky, they brighted like diamonds..The field was quiet with only sound in the dark is our laugh..I grown up and had to move to a dynamic city to start a new life with my dad..Everythings changed too much in a 5th grade boy's eyes..I missed my mom, my country with rivers, feild, and my friends..The changes of life made me change..Step by step I got used with this city, with my new friends and morden life..

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 10 April, 2014 - 09:13

Hi Amigo110,
Thanks for your comment and for telling us about your life growing up in the countryside. Part of your comment made me think that you may be older than 17. If you are over 18 please go to our LearnEnglish website and register there. You can use the material on this site, but the comments are just for 13-17 year olds. I hope you understand.
Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

msaah66's picture
msaah66 7 April, 2014 - 07:32

Hi, a good assay and compare between tow places one a big city and another small city and what the advantages and disadvantages.also have been talked about real facts about tow places.

SandraaB's picture
SandraaB 6 April, 2014 - 20:58

My whole country has 650,000 citizens and my town has 35 thousand.I would prefer living in a big city like Belgrade,Zagreb,but the air is much healthier here and you cant really get lost.Even though,I prefer big towns,because youre always with so many people,but on your own

beyourself15rock's picture
beyourself15rock 5 April, 2014 - 21:27

First, i have to say that,this text is really really good!
I think they both are beautiful and good .For teenagers and young people is city, and for old people countryside,but it depends about person, and taste.

SweetRobin3's picture
20125x
SweetRobin3 5 April, 2014 - 15:12

I like big cities like London, Paris and etc.
but i think live in countryside is good for health and for life too
i live in countryside: in Azerbaijan in Ismailly
and i like the place where i live :)

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 4 April, 2014 - 16:49

My country is small. Bosnia and Herzegovina has just 3 million people. I live in town. But my town has everything what I need, We have a lot of supermarkets, swimming pools, caffee, hairdressers, night clubs, secondary schools, big supermarkets, promenade.. But we don' have an university. That's big pity, because when you're 18 you have to go in other town and leave your family, friends and your town..
I'd love to go somwhere new. I love travelling, but I haven't had a chance for it. I'm studying very hard and I'm going to travel when I finish my collage.

serap's picture
serap 1 April, 2014 - 16:46

It's relly nice living in city, so you have lots of facilities. I have been living in city since I was born, but it is also nice living in countryside- it is healthy. There is fresh air in countryside, city is crowded and there is pollution. If we compare them, I can say they are both nice for people- it depends on what you like and how personality you have!

Harabeli Supersweet's picture
Harabeli Supersweet 28 March, 2014 - 17:46

You can find everything next to your house in a city. Life is more energetic, more social, more interesting. But peace that countryside offer you can not be replaced. Anyway, I think that city is the best place to live and countryside is a good place to relax during the holidays.

Niluh's picture
Niluh 28 March, 2014 - 16:31

I have been lived in both, city and countryside, but now i live in city. Everything is so different when i live in small city, i used to walk to school because there isn't any bus runs near my house. I had to go to the center of the city when i want to go to the supermarkets or mall, a city doesn't even have a cinema! However, small city has a great atmosphere, i found it really peaceful and comfortable to stay in.

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 27 March, 2014 - 22:29

I have been living in city since i was born. For me, living in the city has many advantages, we can go to the supermarkets or stores to buy anything we want and have lots of services to better our life. However, the city is always a crowded and complicated place to live, my city usually has high rate of crimes and traffic accident. Therefore, I would like to have a chance to live in the countryside someday which is thought to be peaceful, healthy and friendly place to live in.