This section gives you  help and advice for all types of reading tests and exams. We explain what you can do before a reading exam and during the exam to get top marks.

This section offers you lots of advice for reading exams and tests. Read the advice and do the exercises in this section so you are really well prepared for the next time you have a reading exam. Remember that the best way to improve your reading is to read as much as possible. Reading web pages, magazines, comics, graphic novels or song lyrics is all good practice.

Use the 'Book navigation'  box on the right-hand side of the page to work through this section.

How do you feel about reading exams? Have you had any problems or difficulties when reading? Tell us about your experiences.

Comments

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 14 December, 2012 - 03:11

Hi andy and welcome to LearnEnglish Teens! Keep looking around our website. You'll find a lot of things to read, watch and do here. Let us know if you find something you like!

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

rudinaderveni's picture
rudinaderveni 11 December, 2012 - 15:53

Well....... I always love reading in my class and my teacher know that . I feel very good when i read in english language .

klara wisdom's picture
klara wisdom 11 December, 2012 - 14:59

Hello!!!!!

i have had difficulties with exam readings and i ve ben ashamed to ask for help and so i'd had to understand the meaning of the sentence. to find the words that i dont understand

jula's picture
jula 1 December, 2012 - 01:52

Hi! I've been studying British English for 10 years and I love the language! This year I'm sitting for the FCE, I had the speaking part on Wednesday and the 8th. of December all the other parts are taking place. My big problem used to be listening, but I'm a little bit better now. BUT the reading part is killing me! The time is not enough for me and besides some questions are really confused!
Well, that's it!

Simon's picture
Simon 1 December, 2012 - 02:11

Hi Jula, it sounds like your English is of a very high standard. In the reading part always read the questions before reading and highlight the key words in the question.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about reading and we will try to get back to you. Good luck on Wednesday!

Simon (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

joke111's picture
joke111 13 November, 2012 - 08:09

hi there im a new member here i like reading but i coudent realize the most of the meaning of words nd translate it in own languege and my speaking is aweful i cant speak very well hellp me plz

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 13 November, 2012 - 14:26

Hi joke111,
Welcome to LearnEnglish Teens. We have some reading activities that are for lower levels in our 'Read at your level' section. Start at Level 1. We are also preparing more reading activities for low levels so come back soon and we will help you to improve your reading.
Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Jelena S's picture
Jelena S 30 November, 2012 - 14:43

Hi,Jo Budden,
I love reading, not only on my language,i adore English books ,interviews and like evrything,i think i am not bed at it,so what level should i try??

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 30 November, 2012 - 20:24

Hi Jelena,
I can see from your comments that you have a really good level of English. On our site I think you should try level 3 texts in Read at your level. You can also read some of the Stories and poems but they are quite difficult, so don't worry if you find some of them hard. :)

LiliyaM's picture
LiliyaM 1 November, 2012 - 20:10

I like reading exams)))You can learn new words))))Stories are very interesting))))ALWAYS))I dont know why,but reading axams make me happy)))
But I feel little shy at the reading exams((((It`s make me nervous)))

Mina9's picture
Mina9 25 October, 2012 - 16:13

A year ago I started reading a book for(on my opininion)older students or it's just that i't seems to me.When i read i don't translate on my lenguage beacuse i understand the words-not all but half of it.I can't stand when i don't know seven or more words that are on the page and on the other pages.I know i will improve it by reading books but by now i can't stand it.Should i keep reading the book or something else like magazines,text on the internet.. ?

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 25 October, 2012 - 19:25

Hi Mina9!
If you're not enjoying the book and you are finding it too difficult, I would stop reading it. I can see from your writing that your English is great so there are lots of things you can read that you will enjoy. Have you tried our Read at your level section? I think you could manage Level 3, but if they're difficult, try Level 2. There are stories, interviews, book reviews...
Good luck and keep reading - the more you read, the easier (and more enjoyable!) it will become!
Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Jovana690's picture
Jovana690 25 October, 2012 - 14:32

Hi! i don't have problems when i read. Ok sometimes i don't read something very good, it happens.
;)

malaysia.2015's picture
malaysia.2015 20 March, 2013 - 17:56

hi
actually i remember that one time i had a french exam and for the first time i spent a half an hour in wathing the paper of the exam!!!i even didn't write my name!!!!

futsal's picture
futsal 24 October, 2012 - 18:42

Hi ! my reading is good .but in our country there is'nt English novels to read ,I searched a lot to find harry potter but didn't find ) .I tried to download them .where can I download these ?

Lejdi's picture
Lejdi 18 September, 2012 - 11:51

Hello!
I always write the new words on my notebook and then on Sundays I repeat them three times to remember how to write them and also how to read them.It is a very hard work,but not for me.Thank you!

Mastyil's picture
Mastyil 10 September, 2012 - 17:45

hi !
in the exam i find the text very easy to read, but i don't understand what's the subject, this is my problem.

TraubeTrauby's picture
TraubeTrauby 21 August, 2012 - 17:43

I love it and can't wait for it, but I'm always feel nervous. and when its the time for me to read it, my pronounce will go messy. But when I practiced in home, I can read it clearly with a good pronounce .. -_-

Mina9's picture
Mina9 25 October, 2012 - 16:23

It's the same with me. :( It's redicilous how Serbian people speak English.Their acent is weird.I'm really trying to fix that.But it's not working for now.My dad say that it's the best way to speak with your acent to make people understand you.But i really want to talk clearly.I love when people say it clearly. :)

komal's picture
komal 3 August, 2012 - 14:24

hi m from India. and i need help, CZ
i dnt know how to speak in English. my english is very poor...

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 5 August, 2012 - 06:33

Hi komal! Welcome to LearnEnglish Teens! There are many things you can do to practise speaking in English. One is to listen a lot, because you can repeat and copy things people say. Another thing you can do is prepare some words and phrases before you start speaking - use a dictionary, textbook or ask your friends. One final thing: to improve your speaking, do more speaking! This will help build up your experience, and you will remember things that you have said before.

This page is about speaking for exams, but you might find some more tips there.

Does that help?

Good luck, komal! Try different ways to practise speaking and I hope you can find one that is useful for you.

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 30 July, 2012 - 21:08

Hello bonitagvapa,

You are welcome to use LearnEnglish Teens to help you improve your level of English. That's why we are here! But please read our house rules and do not share your personal details   like your email address or skype details with other users.

Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Adol's picture
Adol 27 January, 2013 - 17:52

Hi i am Adib i come from Iran
i am just a teenage and i want
learn English if you can help me plz tell me how i should start
i want learn English and go uk or maybe usa plz help me i wait for your
answer :|

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 18 July, 2012 - 14:00

Hi Alqabbas

If you read a lot you'll become a faster reader. Keep reading as much as you can and you'll see it will become easier.

Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

loleta's picture
loleta 1 July, 2012 - 10:32

Actually, I have big Problem with in general not only reading .. But the real Problem that I am at the doors of the university and I need to improve my English. I try to read some short stories to develop vocabulary, but that will take along time

Simon's picture
Simon 2 July, 2012 - 01:55

Hi loleta, Reading short stories is a really good way to learn new vocabulary, well done! - you also have to write the vocabulary down in your notebook and try to make some example sentences to use the new vocabulary in context.  For listening practise watch some of the videos in Video UK or Video zone, this will really help because they speak naturally and very quickly!

Hope you find lots of interesting and helpful material to improve your English on this site!

Simon (LearnEnglish Teens Team)