Do you remember the 2012 London Olympics? Check out this blogger's memories of a wonderful summer of sport in the capital.

Reading text

An Olympic blog

What an Olympics!

Posted by Helen Nolan on 10 September, 2012 at 21:25

It’s all over! I’ve been writing my blog from London every day during the Olympics and the Paralympics and this is my final post to look back on a wonderful couple of months. Here are some of the things that were the most memorable for me:

The Opening Ceremony

This set the scene for the Games with an amazing show featuring music, dancing, historical figures, fireworks and British humour. A huge number of volunteers practised for months to make everything perfect. The best moment was when the old lady in Buckingham Palace turned round and showed that she was neither a lookalike nor an actor but Her Majesty the Queen. The next best bit was when she jumped out of a helicopter with James Bond (although I think that actually was an actor!).

Team GB

I was very proud of our team as we kept on winning medals and finished in third position in the medal table, which is truly a great result for Great Britain. There were so many incredible sportsmen and women. The ones that stand out for me are Mo Farah, the Somalian-born Londoner who won the 10,000 and 5,000 metres with the whole stadium going crazy, Jessica Ennis, the popular super-athlete from Sheffield who won the heptathlon, and Nicola Adams who won the first female boxing medal in Olympic history for Britain.

The Olympic Stadium crowd

Although the crowd cheered on the British, there was lots of support for athletes of other nationalities too like the wonderful Usain Bolt, from Jamaica, who won the 100 and 200 metres sprint to become the fastest man alive. There was also Oscar Pistorius of South Africa who was the first disabled person to compete in the Olympics. He went on to win two gold medals and a silver in the Paralympics.

New sports

I have really enjoyed being able to watch sports which are not normally shown on television. Before the Olympics I didn’t expect to love watching judo or find myself screaming at the television during a game of wheelchair tennis, but I really got into them. I didn’t know anything about goalball before the Paralympics but it became one of my favourite sports.

The organisation and the atmosphere

It took seven years of planning and 70,000 volunteers to make everything go well. Many people have said that the organisation was not as perfect as that of the Beijing Games, but there was a much better atmosphere which spread out through the whole city. The volunteers were always friendly and helpful and Londoners even began talking to each other, and visitors, on the underground trains!

What are your memories of the London Olympics 2012? Did your country win many medals?

Comments

may009's picture
may009 21 April, 2015 - 22:27

I saw London Olympics 2012 but I don't remember much. My country has many medals in Olympics as Athletics, boxing, swimming, and gymnastic so our country is full of athletes.

QueenGold7's picture
QueenGold7 14 April, 2015 - 16:17

I didn't see the London Olympycs, but my mother says that my country (I'm for Russia) didn't win many medals.

QUINTEROSVERA's picture
QUINTEROSVERA 22 April, 2015 - 02:35

The Olympics London 2012 was Alex Quiñonez that won an silver medal. (I'm of Ecuador)

francesca97it's picture
francesca97it 7 December, 2014 - 15:37

I saw the olympic games, i have seen especially swimming, diving and gymnastic. I saw also fencing, where italy has won a lot.

Wesal's picture
Wesal 28 October, 2014 - 06:17

I am big fun of Olympic games and London Olympic games were attractive for me, due to Londoners worked for it honestly and heartily, appreciated their hard work.

Katniss17's picture
Katniss17 18 August, 2014 - 16:26

I saw London Olympics 2012 but I don’t remember much. I know I loved the Opening Ceremony and that’s all. My country won two medals in canoeing.

Earth's picture
Earth 3 May, 2014 - 05:55

Olympics is my favorite. I've been looking for such a blog. Thanks it helped me a lot.

AnaB's picture
AnaB 18 April, 2014 - 10:47

It absolutely was the Queens appearance. She was amazing. I really can't remember did Montenegro win something.

Niluh's picture
Niluh 15 December, 2013 - 15:43

I remember when London Olympics held that was in Ramadan and i watched the opening ceremony whilst i was break fasting. It was so amazing, i saw parade of nations and found some countries i've never heard before.
Sadly, my countries won two medals only, one bronze and one silver :(

engleskigaga's picture
21979x
engleskigaga 13 December, 2013 - 13:59

I sow London Olympics 2012. My country did not win many medal but I was proud of my country. It was the best Olympics I think. The best was opening Olympics . I was very happy, when I sow Queen.
It was the best Olympic in 2012.
: ) : )