Sophie decides to post videos on her world-famous travel blog.

We use relative clauses to describe or give extra information about something we have already mentioned. We often use relative pronouns (e.g. who, where, that, which, whose) to introduce relative clauses.

What are relative clauses and why do we use them?

A clause is a group of words containing a verb. Relative clauses are a way of giving more information about a person, thing, place, event, etc. We often use them to avoid repeating information.

The Uros people make fires. Their fires are used for cooking. = The Uros people make fires, which they use for cooking.

OK, so there the relative pronoun is 'which' and it refers back to 'the fires' and 'which they use for cooking' is the relative clause.

That’s right, which is used for things (never for people). There are a lot of other relative pronouns: who (for people), that (for a thing or a person), where (for a place), whose (for possession) and when (for a time).

What are defining relative clauses?

They are clauses that you need in the sentence for it to make sense.

The people who live here have had the same kind of lifestyle for hundreds of years.

If I said 'The people have had the same kind of lifestyle for hundreds of years', you wouldn’t know which people I was talking about.

There are no commas before and after the clause.

No, not with defining relative clauses.

The islanders pick the tall reeds that grow at the sides of the lake and use them to make the islands.

OK, so what about non-defining relative clauses?

We use those to give extra information, which isn’t absolutely necessary. We use commas to separate them from the rest of the sentence, unless they come at the end of the sentence, when we use a comma and a full stop.

That grey thing, which you can see on the roof there, isn’t very traditional.
The video’s from yesterday, when she was on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca.
This is Sophie, whose blog you’ve been reading.

OK, got it, I think. Is there anything else that I need to know?

Ah, you just used a relative clause with that. We can use that instead of who or which in defining clauses, not non-defining clauses.

So this grammar snack, which has been very interesting, has taught me everything that I need to know about relative clauses.

OK, it’s taught you nearly everything you need to know.

Do people still follow traditions or use old ways of doing things where you live? What do they do?

Comments

cesperolo's picture
cesperolo 7 May, 2020 - 14:11

In my country, a large part of people still follow the tradition, for example, at Christmas or Easter, but this is only the part that remained of our ancestors. Fortunately, there are various museums and open-air museums thanks to which the memory of our traditions is maintained

anna_v3r's picture
anna_v3r 26 March, 2020 - 13:01

Onestly, in my country people follows some of the traditons like the way we cook or others. But it depends on the area. My family and I still follow some of the traditions here, like going to church at midnight of Christmas' day.

gio_cra2004's picture
gio_cra2004 24 March, 2020 - 15:16

In my opinion most of the traditions are transmitted from generation to generation based on their lifestyle and their city of origin. For example, my grandmother makes typical Apulian sweets for the holidays. While other traditions are slowly disappearing.

chiarusso's picture
chiarusso 24 March, 2020 - 13:38

i don't know but i think that we respect and follow some tradition ,meantime Others tradition are getting lost

mart__'s picture
mart__ 24 March, 2020 - 13:37

In my country many people still follow tradition especially on food such as typical dishes but also on important holidays

mmatildepontoni04's picture
mmatildepontoni04 24 March, 2020 - 12:05

In my opinion, people who live in my country have had the same kind of lifestyle for hundreds of years.
For example my family still follow the traditions of our ancestors.

Roga's picture
Roga 6 November, 2019 - 17:20

In my village Hidalgo, Mexico, people celebrate Xantolo know as All Saints' Day on November 2. Xantolo consist in life and death ritual, where indigenous communities remember their dead, disguise and dance for their dead.

Lucrecampa's picture
Lucrecampa 24 March, 2020 - 13:35

No, traditions haven’ t changed in my family, for example at midnight on Christmas we go to church

Daniela's picture
Daniela 4 November, 2019 - 02:41

I am from Mexico many people follow the traditions of our ancestors, especially in the villages they continue doing things of past years, such as celebrating the day of the dead, Christmas, New Year and many other things.

Zyanmi's picture
Zyanmi 4 November, 2019 - 02:11

In my neighborhood there are people who have modernized the traditions, for example I have a friend who still puts ornaments for the festivities, but puts LED screens to decorate.

BH's picture
BH 3 November, 2019 - 21:52

The only thing they still do in the place where I live is to make tortillas by hand, some merchants use carbon to heat their food.

Morrogomes123's picture
Morrogomes123 3 November, 2019 - 20:26

People who live in Mexico generally follow some of the traditions of some years ago, although not all, and do not do them as before, since they change some or many things of what used to be done. In general, people living in big cities no longer continue betrayals, just as younger people do not usually do the same with older adults. Normally some traditions are the offering on the day of the dead or in ancient times several ceremonies were held towards some gods

LuCF10's picture
LuCF10 3 November, 2019 - 19:29

Although the people where I live already use the technology that does not prevent them from following some traditions or certain ways of doing things as before. For example, sometimes they cook with coal, move on horses, grow their own vegetables. The festivities of the town is something that does not go unnoticed and is instilled in each of the new families

JULIO_GUZMAN's picture
JULIO_GUZMAN 2 November, 2019 - 20:20

I'm from Mexico, in the neighborhood where I live the lifestyle is modern, but in some towns of Mexico the traditions of our ancestors are still preserved.

Hossainbd3's picture
Hossainbd3 1 March, 2019 - 10:43

Please help me convert the following sentence into compound.
"Having sweet smell and beauty,We love it very much"

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20518x
Tina - Coordinator 5 March, 2019 - 12:45

Dear Hossainbd3
Here you go ... It has sweet smell and beauty, so we love it very much.
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teens team)

Youjiro's picture
Youjiro 2 February, 2019 - 13:14

It is depend.People do not change from traditional things even young people.We are getting more old way our country sink bottom of the ocean.Our change only thing is fashion cloth.People love traditional way because they don't think about what is a best for us.Most of people don't do new way.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 25 October, 2018 - 13:58

Hi Lodestar,

Thanks for letting us know. I've just tried playing the video and it's working fine for me. Are you using Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari or another browser? Try using a different browser and see it that works. Are you having problems playing other videos on our site? If so, which ones?

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 13 November, 2016 - 07:36

Hi Ramdan,
We don't allow our videos to be downloaded. Sorry about that. You can watch them as much as you like online.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

barbars's picture
barbars 13 October, 2015 - 20:46

I have a question, when Sophie says "The amazing thing about these islands is THAT they are man-made", is "that" a relative pronoun? what is it? Thank you for you answer :)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 14 October, 2015 - 14:54

Hi barbars,
That's a good question! In the example you give, that is being used as a conjunction - it's connecting the two parts of the sentence together. But sometimes that can be a relative pronoun and you can learn more about it in this grammar snack: http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/grammar-vocabulary/grammar-videos/these-those
I hope this helps. Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

DROPE's picture
DROPE 9 July, 2015 - 03:17

I´m from Ecuador, here! always we celebrate the day of the
"inty raymy" this is about sun, when planted around the year who gives us energy it is the sun.

pierina's picture
2059x
pierina 8 July, 2015 - 21:23

Hi , here in Ecuador the people do not respect the tradition today. Sometimes, they even forget that in some places life still looks like before ages.

cristophersaa's picture
cristophersaa 8 July, 2015 - 17:46

in Ecuador is traditional to drink "chicha", when some traditional groups of the regions "bring the chicha"

nandosc9's picture
nandosc9 8 July, 2015 - 04:38

Here, in Ecuador, is very hard that the people accept the changes. Most of they prefer the old ways to do the things; is a archaic thinking to my opinion.
In costums, one that me likes very much is eat the "Colada morada" and the "Guagas de pan" are so tasty! It is celebrated on november 2th, in memory of our deceased.

Eseban's picture