Magazine topic:
Books

Nothing beats a real book

by :
RosemaryM

Call me old-fashioned, but I like a good book. And by that, I mean a real book. One that you can flick the pages of, one that you can put a bookmark in, one that has a battered cover and broken spine.

Last year, I was given a Kindle. I have never actually read a book on it. There's something frustrating about having to charge it up before I can read; with a real book you can just open it and begin. It doesn't feel the same in my hands: it's too light. My fingers miss the familiar ritual of turning the page. I had good intentions of using it on my year abroad; after all, that was why my parents bought it for me. In the end, I didn't use it. I ploughed through the French books that my uncle had lent me instead.

Over the last week, I have been proofreading several e-books, checking them for errors. Reading a screen for a long time makes your eyes feel rather tired. I don't get this problem with a real book! In addition, scientists say that looking at screens before going to sleep is bad for your health - so surely a real book is much better!

E-books are still a relatively recent invention. They are popular too, for a variety of reasons. An e-reader (such as a Kindle) takes up much less room (and weight) in a suitcase: perfect for people who used to have to take several books on holiday. Lots of people don't re-read books; an e-reader means they don't end up with a house cluttered with books they'll never look at again. People say they're more environmentally friendly: no trees are cut down for paper, no ink is needed.

However successful these devices are, nothing can beat the appeal of a genuine book for me. After all, if I'm short of cash, or don't necessarily want to re-read a book, I can always go to the library and borrow a book. For free!

Do you prefer to read real books or do you use an e-reader?

Comments

ninagi's picture
ninagi 15 November, 2015 - 09:51

I prefer real books than e-reader. What if someone don't have Internet, but he/she wants to read a book???

ScattyLittleWarrior's picture
ScattyLittleWarrior 25 October, 2015 - 09:15

Like author of this briliant and true blog said, nothing beats real book. I've already used an e-reader. I think it's good idea, they are enviromental and that is great. But I also think inventors should make some more invented e-readers, because using e-reader is really unhealthy for eyes. And I think that if there was a great, invented and briliant e-reader, never ever will it beat REAL BOOK!!!!!!!!!!

anime_lover's picture
anime_lover 4 October, 2015 - 14:48

i prefer real books because i feel alot more comfortable using them..But a kindle is sometimes helpful for people who travel alot and have no space for books..

HH's picture
HH 28 August, 2015 - 15:39

I think that both are really good. Although I prefer the feeling of turning paper, I usually pay much attention at the purpose of the stories or novels.
When I'm in a vacations with family or friends, I often take an ipad with me, so I can read novels on the Internet instead of those heavy real books.

bojana13's picture
bojana13 22 August, 2015 - 20:41

I prefer to read real books,It is much better,and you can also imagine it in your head.You know some people usual don t have time to read books,like some my friends .They prefer much more internet reading.And that isn t good,they are going to forget how to be creativ and how to imagine.

DennisaDenn's picture
DennisaDenn 21 August, 2015 - 14:37

I prefer a real book, I love the smell of a book and to flick the pages ! When I read an ebook, i don't fell that sensation.

Alexander111's picture
Alexander111 21 August, 2015 - 04:28

I prefer the real book, neither it's wasting paper. I prefer the paper book, neither it's old fashion. I prefer the old fashion book, neither it's expensive.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 21 August, 2015 - 06:14

Hi Alexander111. Do you mean you prefer real books even though it's wasting paper?
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

cklj's picture
19484x
cklj 18 August, 2015 - 18:14

I prefer a real book and I completely agree with the author of the article. A few months ago I had to read a book from my computer. It wasn't an e-reader actually, those were pictures of the pages from the book. I didn't liked that. When I finished reading I was tired. It would be so much better if I had the book in my hands.

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 27 July, 2015 - 16:35

a real book where people live within the pages is what intensify my soul deeply. a real book means life and it worth it..e-books doen't give you what comes with the sweet scent of pages and never allows you to give it a hug and keep it a little closer to yourself just to let my ownself know that they are there.of course therefore,i prefer the book than the much much developed complex book tecnology serves me

JuliaGlu's picture
JuliaGlu 27 July, 2015 - 10:49

Well, actually that's a good article. I also love books especially very old books. But there's some problems with books in our time. Kids don't like reading, they like computer games and it's sad for me. So today books are not so popular and people don't buy them very often and that's why I can't find some books in bookstores. So the only chance to read the book I wanna read is to download it on my e-reader. But when I have an opportunity I buy books. Btw I go to bookstores almost every week even when I buy nothing ^-^

iva10's picture
iva10 26 July, 2015 - 14:04

I prefer real books.I enjoy reading them and when i read i imagine how would that scene look in my head and how i imagine it.I read much books and i wish my friemds would read too

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 24 July, 2015 - 03:19

I'm old-fashioned and I like a real book. Because I can fold papers just like the way picture shows! …..:)
When I want to be a productive reader, I choose a real book; when I feel receptive, then I carry an e-book in the bag!

hadia's picture
hadia 22 July, 2015 - 07:56

OOps! I meant "don't call yourself" (in the first line) Sorry , it was a typing mistake!

32 users have voted, including you.
hadia's picture
hadia 22 July, 2015 - 07:54

Wow! This was the article I have been waiting for.....And please call yourself old-fashioned Rosemary! I think this is a Blessing, of which some people are bestowed with and that is Book reading! I usually avoid reading on screens (by e-reader ) , and believe me , it's not fascinating! I love holding a book and the thing you wrote that flicking of the pages and putting some bookmarks! While reading your article , I went back in the past in my memory and I remember my habit of collecting bookmarks of different colors and having different pictures on it .............It was fun! Well, really nothing can beat a real book! The point which I find in your article was the best that you highlighted a major health issue i.e sitting in front of screens for a longer time can damage health! yeah...you're right . It damages eyesight and has bad effects on our muscles of shoulders! But if we read a book i think there's no that such issue......well, it was lovely reading your article, Thanks!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 22 July, 2015 - 21:11

Hi hadia,

Glad to hear you liked the article! My sister told me that the reason books are printed on cream or off-white paper is because the contrast between white and black is too harsh for our eyes! Reading a real book is much more relaxing than looking at a screen!

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 9 September, 2015 - 16:36

Hey Rosemary M,

Thanks for writing an article on something I been telling people for so long. I completely agree that nothing can beat the feeling of turning the pages of a real book. And i must tell that it is scientifically proven that digital reading can reduce our reading speed by 25% along with harming our eyes. So it unnecessarily consumes extra time.
While some people may say that E- reading is cheap and it occupies less space, I don't think that it is necessary to buy every book we want. What are libraries for? Plus it is another special experience to lure a friend into a good book exchange. ;) ;) ;)

hadia's picture
hadia 23 July, 2015 - 10:59

Hi Rosemary! Thanks for your reply! Well your sis told you an interesting information.........Thanks a lot for sharing it with me!