Magazine topic:
Life around the world

Volunteering is fun!

by :
FrancesS

One rainy afternoon I was sitting at home feeling so bored. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I wanted to meet people and have new experiences so I decided to start volunteering. I logged onto my computer and found a website where I could volunteer on a farm in France.

Volunteering provides so many opportunities to have fun and share great stories. My time working on a farm was a new experience for me. It was basically a free holiday as food and accommodation were provided. However, it was not your typical holiday as I had to look after fifteen horses and sleep at the top of a tower in a fourteenth century castle! I soon discovered that I was an awful farmer but it did not matter because I made some great friends and also improved my French.

However, you do not need to go abroad to volunteer. I have had plenty of adventures at home as volunteering can become a hobby. For example, I love singing so I had a good laugh waving my arms in an attempt to conduct my local choir. I did slowly improve and it felt great to conduct the choir in a concert. At university, I organised a concert for charity with my friends. It was really fun finding bands and raising money for a cause we believe in.

It is true that you feel good volunteering but there are also other advantages. I once volunteered as a steward at a charity sports event where the organisers gave me cupcakes from an expensive London bakery to thank me for my services. I also volunteered in a charity shop so I found loads of nice cheap clothes to update my wardrobe.

While this is all fun, my favourite aspect of volunteering is creating and sharing stories. My terrible attempts at farming have given me hilarious stories to tell! Talking to volunteers from different countries and backgrounds has also helped me learn more about the world. I feel thankful to have had so much fun with many nice people thanks to volunteering.

Have you ever volunteered or would you like to be a volunteer one day?

Comments

sona's picture
sona 23 October, 2015 - 18:37

Thank you for answering my question,but I also want to know about free course in Britain. Which tests can I do to win a scholarship?

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 24 October, 2015 - 11:51

Hi sona. Have a look at this page from Education UK: http://www.educationuk.org/global/articles/scholarships-financial-support/

You'll find information about scholarships available to students from different countries. As for which tests to do, I'm not sure but I would guess that it depends on which course you want to do and where you hope to study. I would also imagine that an English language test such as IELTS would be required.

I hope that information helps you. Good luck :)

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

sona's picture
sona 22 October, 2015 - 17:40

I want to volunteer in Britain,because I like to improve my English. Please JoEditor,can you tell me what to do to start volunteering there ?

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20504x
Tina - Coordinator 23 October, 2015 - 08:19

Hi sona :)
You could take a look at the British Council's Education UK  website and perhaps contact them to find out about volunteering in Britain.
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teens)

tommytieu101's picture
tommytieu101 6 September, 2015 - 21:27

I have take part in voulunteer group in fruit bank. I could make new friend and studied how to plant a tree. It's really interesting. And it's very easy to find your favourite voulunteer jobs. Just search Internet or Facebook, you will find your jobs.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 7 September, 2015 - 08:48

Hi tommytieu101,
What's a fruit bank? It sounds like a great idea, could you tell us more about it?
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team).

Aslana's picture
Aslana 6 September, 2015 - 06:42

I think to ba volunteer is very good idea? because you help people/ Volunteering in other countries help you work and travel.
I working volnteer in my university. I like it? it is very interesting/ Volunteering help me to create new friends.)

bojana13's picture
bojana13 28 August, 2015 - 14:01

I would like to volunteer some day.I like to help people and give them adviceses how to solve some problem.

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 28 August, 2015 - 10:57

I heard a lot about voluntary work when i was 11 so i decided to read and know more about it.
I went to Palastine last year with some of my cousins, there was a lot of poor children and families and the places that they live in were horrible.
We gave them clothes we fed them we talked with them, and it was the best experience 've ever had in my whole life.
Seriously be a vlounteer, and you won't regret it because it's such an amazing thing.

Greeting, Tunisia