Vocabulary exercises to help you learn words for everyday objects.

Which of these objects do you always take with you when you go out?

Comments

ellen's picture
ellen 5 May, 2013 - 16:22

hello June.
i am 15,too,
Azerbaijan has many historic places.For example:
1.The Maidens Tower
The Maidens Tower is the symbol of Baku. The 32-meter Maidens Tower is one of the beautiful and mysterious archtectural monuments on The Absheron Peninsula. It has Eight floors. The walls are 4-5 meters thick. You can enjoy wonderful view of Baku from here.There the a lot of the tower you can see the inner city within the fortress walls.
2. The Shirvanshahs palace.
The Shirvanshahs palace was the most prominent architectural complex in the madieval city. After the earth quake the capital moved from Shemakha to Baku and the shah built this palace. The palace is a two storey building with service rooms on the ground floor. Built in the 15th century by Halilullah I , the palace remained untouched for a hundred years. In the complex you can see 14th cenrury Bei-Kubad Madrassa Mosque.
3. Ateshgyakh.
The Ateshgyakh ( 18th century), which means ^ home of fire ^, is in the village of Surakhany, 15 km from Baku.
They say these ancient fires gave Azerbaijan its name, which means ^ a lond of fires^.
Arab invaders destroyed all the cult temples of fire -worshippers on the territory of Azerbaijan.
Centuries passed and Islam became the country official religion.
Azerbaijan exchanged cultural values with many countries . One of them was India, where fire is still sacred today.
The Indians paid to the local ruler for the right to build cells, a prayer room and a guestroom at the temple.
The inscriptions on stones set in the walls, made in Sanskrit and Hindi, testify to the Indian origin of the fire- worshippers temple at Surakhany.
Today the temple is a unique monument of world culture.
4.Gobustan.
Gobustan... For some people it is a museum under the open sky, for the others it is just cold walls drawings of nice dancing men.
Gobustan is a miracle, and a sacred place. There isn^t rich nature, But more than 40000 years ago people came to Gobustan,carried out rituals and brought gifts. ^ Gobu^ means ~a place hidden from peoples eyes ~ in Turkish. There are a lot of pictures of men, women and animals. The oldest is a huge fish 4 meters 30 centimeters long. The drawn fish belongs to the class of whales.
Scientists puzzle over the drawing which seems to show a connection of the Caspian Sea and World Ocean.
And many others places!!!
what about you?
what about your country?
Please answer..........................................................................

clp920's picture
clp920 3 December, 2015 - 19:21

Hi, ellen. I am from Azerbaijan too. I also love my country. I really appreciate your patriotism but I think if you want to get people around the world interested about our country it would be MUCH more interesting to hear something from you, your own impressions about Azerbaijan or tell us in which of the following places have you been.

June's picture
June 8 May, 2013 - 16:26

I'll spend my free time reading and translating all of this ><. But thanks anyway. You love your country very much, right?
Vietnam is a very small country.It is the easternmost country on the Indochina Peninsula in Southeast Asia. Have you ever heard about Ha Long Bay and Phong Nha Cave? They belong to my country! The USA and France used to want to have my country, but we were fighting very bravely and we won! Vietnam also has many delicious foods such as: Pho, Xoi,... I think Azerbaijan has many tasty foods too. Can you tell me some.
It's my pleasure to answer your question.

June's picture
June 4 May, 2013 - 11:31

Hi Ellen. I'm so so, thanks. Actually, my real name is Vy. I'm almost 15 years old. I'm from Vietnam. I remember you told you were from Azerbaijan, right? And you, how old are you? I don't know Azerbaijan very much so can you tell me about it?
It's nice to know you.

June's picture
June 3 May, 2013 - 16:12

I usually take nothing :). I seldom go out, mostly for my classes. So if I go out, I'll only take my school bag. My parents gave me a cell phone but to tell the truth, I am not really interested in using it. About purse, I told you before. I rarely spend money and I often put it in my trouser pockets. I don't know how I will be in the future, but I hope I won't change much:)).

Natalija's picture
Natalija 26 April, 2013 - 13:38

I always take mobile, wallet and purse. And I'd like to add sunglasses and watch, because it's impossible for me to function without those things.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 9 February, 2013 - 13:07

Hi ksenchenk! They're actually the same thing, but wallet is British English and billfold is American English. There are a few other differences - Americans sometimes say cell phone when British people say mobile phone. And, in America a purse is a larger bag for women for carrying small objects (British people call this a handbag) but in Britain a purse is only for coins.

Thanks for your question! I hope this is helpful!

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 22 September, 2015 - 04:33

Hi gianggiangphi. These two words are extremely similar and usually you can use either one in a sentence and there is no difference. But, if you are talking about something with only two possibilities, use 'each'. For example:

• My friend was carrying a heavy bag in each hand so I went and helped him.
  • There are two major cities in this region and each one is very prosperous.

You can't use 'every' in these examples because there are two hands and two cities. If there are more than three possibilities, you can use 'each' or 'every'. Does that make sense?

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Etibar98's picture
Etibar98 27 October, 2012 - 18:18

İ love my computer, my mobile phone , rucksack, wallet. I need them. But I don't need glasses. When I go out I take my wallet, mobile phone ,sometimes rucksack when going school or baseball and of course my keys.