Think of a number with two digits. For example, 43. Follow the Magic Gopher's instructions and he will amaze you by telling you what number you chose.

Did he get your number right? How does he do it?!

Comments

Crouton's picture
Crouton 20 December, 2015 - 14:59

Look, if you take a number N=10xa+b, where b is between 0 and 9 and a between 1 and 9. Ok?
So, you have (10a+b) - (a+b)=9a, right ? After that, look at the multiples of 9, they have all the same sign. When you have your result (ex: 12>1+2=3>12-3=9), which is a multiple of 9. The squirrel must just say these sign and he's right ! Understood, now ?

Crouton's picture
Crouton 20 December, 2015 - 14:26

Woof4, look, if you take N=10a+b, where b is between 0 and 9, and a between 1and 9, you have :
(10a+b) - (a+b) = 9a. Ok? So, the result can only be a multiple of 9 : 9,18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81, 90. After that, look at the signs in the table. You can notice that all the multiplies of 9 have the same sign. The squirrel has just to show this sign and he's right. You see, it's no magic, but mathematics.

kaboooom's picture
kaboooom 16 June, 2016 - 08:39

He's not a squirrel, he's a raccon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haider7427's picture
Haider7427 3 February, 2016 - 21:12

It can see you in the camera and hear you if you move out of the way it gets it wrong I tried that and he got it wrong

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 4 February, 2016 - 03:58

Hi Haider7427. Let me reassure you that our games 100% do not use the camera or microphone. If we ever add a game that does, the game will say so clearly. Thanks for your comment :)
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Ani4ka5aseva's picture
Ani4ka5aseva 24 October, 2015 - 13:17

Oh, it is simple algebra: always the symbol from the card is following that numbers: 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81... But this squirrel is clever, realy! :)

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20506x
Tina - Coordinator 23 September, 2015 - 19:20

Hi hannaramm57,
 Thanks for letting us know. Is it loading for you now ? I've just tested it and it's working fine for me.  Are you using Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari or another browser? Perhaps you could try using a different browser and see it that works.
Let us know how you get on ...
Best wishes Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20506x
Tina - Coordinator 4 November, 2015 - 17:08

Hi Sarahappy,
I'm sorry it's not working for you ... I've just tried it again and it's working fine for me. Take a look at my comment above which will give you some ideas to try out. I hope you manage to get it working.
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)