Look at the magazine article and do the exercises to improve your writing skills.

How serious a problem is bullying where you live? What can be done to stop bullying in schools?

Comments

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 9 August, 2017 - 13:53

Bulling takes place where people feel stressed more or less.
Sometimes I come across people who are apparently impatient to bully someone just to work off. In such a case, I just keep off!
I don't feel I'm coward, but I feel poud, because I don't have to laugh the bully in their face! ;)))

Greatest123's picture
Greatest123 8 August, 2017 - 22:24

In my school , there is a lot of bullying. But I doesn't get it ! Why are people bullying ? Only they have a another religion or another skin color. This is a very weird situation. I think people must realize what bullying is. And people must respect each other. That is the key to stop bullying.

Greetings, Greatest123

bobila's picture
bobila 18 January, 2017 - 16:09

I don't have notice bulling in my school.Except one day that a boy made a comment about a girl's letter.He didn't want to hurt her but you can't be sure about how other people understand what you say.Bullying has to be stopped and I agree that teachers can do more about it.But I think that a person that has been bullied,has to ignore bullies.Talking to someone might help a lot.

Chujsajeny's picture
Chujsajeny 17 May, 2016 - 09:27

Bullying is also common at my school,I think the reason why are people bullying at my school is the difference.People have different styles, different labels of shoes and many thinks like that.
I had been bullet at my school for once by some girls,The girls we're year 8 and I am year 11 .I did not want to argue with them to make it worse ,and also because they are younger,So I goes to my head of year and had told him everything what just happens.
My head of year sorted everything for my. Now I am grateful to my head of year that's I did not had to deal with it alone . My advice is, If anyone any where any time and any age is bullying you tell that to the person you trust to and ask for help .It has not to end badly .After the storm comes the sun.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 18 May, 2016 - 07:56

Hi Chujsajeny,
Thanks for your comment. I was sorry to hear that you've been bullied but it's great that you told the head of year and that it has been sorted out. That's really good advice to share with other readers.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

sona's picture
sona 7 December, 2015 - 17:47

Bylling is a serious problem in my school. There are many student who call other students name,or others that try to put somebody in conflict. They find it like a game,but they don't know how that have effected in the psychology or self-confidence. I think that teachers should be more strict with this problem and should try to solve the problem and inform the parents of both bullied and bullies students. However,even we should do something to make the bullied to feel better. We can stay with them and help them to pass this difficult situations. If we all were against the bylling,then I think the byllies wouldn't repeat this behaviuor. Bylling is a nigtmare,as is written in the end of the magazine,so we should get up immiedately.(in figurative way)

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 8 December, 2015 - 09:00

Hi sona,
Thank you for your message. It's good to hear that you find ways to help people who are being bullied. I'm really sorry to read that it's such a serious problem in your school. Could you find a teacher that you like and trust and tell him or her some of the examples of bullying that are aware of. It would be  good to get one of the teachers to see the situation from your point of view and to realise how serious the problem is.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

BigBen6464's picture
BigBen6464 3 December, 2015 - 16:23

I think bullying isn't OK! We've talked about it a lot on our English lessons and I have also seen some bullying in my school. Bullies are pathetic and all you have to do is to ignore them!

Lavender's picture
Lavender 20 October, 2015 - 10:08

May I have a question? Is it OK for us to write "Another thing teachers could do is prepare lessons." I mean, is and prepare are both verbs, and can they come together? Because what I've been taught is that "is to prepare" or "is preparing". I'm so confused :(
Thanks in advance.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 22 October, 2015 - 08:10

Hi Lavender. This is quite a difficult question but let me try to explain. The sentence is trying to emphasise the verb 'prepare'. (In comparison, Preparing anti-bullying lessons is another thing teachers could do - 'preparing' is less emphasised because it's at the beginning of the sentence.)

There are many sentence beginnings like this.

• Another thing teachers could do is ...
  • Something teachers could do is ...
  • What teachers could do is ...
  • The best thing teachers can do is ...

After all these, put the verb we want to emphasise. It can be with 'to' or without it.

• The best thing teachers can do is (to) prepare anti-bullying lessons.

We can also put a noun there instead of the verb. That's why it's also ok to say the sentence below (because the -ing form functions as a noun).

• The best thing teachers can do is preparing anti-bullying lessons.

Does that make sense? :)

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 22 October, 2015 - 09:14

Thank you Lavender, that was a good question! And thank you, Jonathan for the sensible answer! Now I really realize that language is a creature!! :))
I'll study harder and would like to try to ask a question even it seems to be a minor detail…!

Tony2003's picture
Tony2003 8 October, 2015 - 01:18

Really though, where I live there are no bullies, but at school there are lots of bullies.Every day they just hit us,insult us on the Internet,even when I am in the holiday, they still not give me a break. For real, I would say that at school, if there are bullies,just kick them out of the school

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 8 October, 2015 - 09:27

Hi Tony2003. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( That is completely wrong and unacceptable. Have you taken any action yet? This must be very upsetting for you but it may need some action from you to put a stop to it.

• Tell an adult who you trust that you are being bullied. It could be a teacher or a family member.

• You have had some bullying online, so protect yourself. If you use email, Facebook or some other app, you can block bullies so they can't contact you anymore. Don't share any photos, videos or messages outside your trusted friends.

• I know it's painful to look at insults on the internet. But, don't delete them and don't reply to them. Save a copy of them because you may need to give them to somebody like a teacher as evidence of the bullying. Then they can take action to stop it.

This must be a terrible time for you but I really encourage you to be strong and follow this advice to keep yourself safe. Best wishes,

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

gabi02's picture
gabi02 11 September, 2015 - 07:38

I have been bullied at my old school. I don´t know why, they where calling me names it wasn´t much but i was sad because they where doing that. and when the bullies moved to another school som stupid boy started to bullie my little sister. and they where trying to scare her and said thing to her...

kyvalda's picture
kyvalda 5 August, 2015 - 12:58

Is internet going to become our real life?

Internet addiction is real problem nowadays. We use it everyday. When we just get up we go to check our e-mails, social networks etc. We even use it when we’re in public transport. Of course it’s good when we use it to get some information or for work and study. But bad thing is that we often try to make our time go faster by playing stupid games or just surfing internet for no reason. It’s completely wasting of time.
What’s wrong with us? Why is it so? The answer everyone can find out be checking own life out. In my opinion, the most common reason of internet addiction is our laziness. We think it’s much more easier to do our life just in front of PC using internet. We play sport games and think “Wow I’m good at tennis! I won last game!”. We even become happy when we get some virtual points or virtual gifts like “gold cube” in out screens. In this ways we just lie to ourselves and try to avoid real competition, to avoid real life.
Obviously, it’s big problem especially for young people. What can we do to solve this problem? Personally, I think our relatives and teachers have to involve children and pupils in real active life such as different kinds of sport, camping, interesting school’s journey etc. It’ll open entire world for young people full of interesting things to do. Even simple conversation between schoolmates the same age will definitely make them happier than typing messages in front of screen.
Hopefully, one day more pupils and adults will use every opportunity to be a part of real life than now.

4444's picture
1964x
4444 13 December, 2015 - 16:55

Hi kyvalda
thank you for this comment . I agree with you for all what you said. Unfortunately, internet becomes a very special and serious thing in our lives and it Seized our lives . AND We have to do something to involve this problem for our teens and children . Personally I think that parent have to control their children well and talk with them in this subject with a responsive method which can help them to stay away or we can say use internet rationally.

sssaleh's picture
1907x
sssaleh 21 July, 2015 - 17:09

Afriend of mine have been bullied . Obviously this problem affected his performance in school and they was hate go to school.
there some teachers dont deal strictly with bulling so it get more and more.

AnaB's picture
AnaB 13 June, 2014 - 17:00

I still haven't notices bullying in my school or around.
As first we have to respect ourselves. We all get mean words, even and we use it. Sometimes that is a joke, but other don't feel those words like we do.
Usually, people who are bullying make suicide. Many of them do it because they think that none understands them. Unfortunately, that is true. In my opinion if someone is bullied, that person should go to some psychiatrist. Also, there is some families who don't have money. If you don't have you can go somewhere and find some strange person and talk to the person. It's easier to talk about your problems to some stranger, than to talk to someone you know and doesn't care about it.
If I was bullied I'd what I just said. :)

Niluh's picture
Niluh 27 March, 2014 - 15:32

Bullying is also common at my school, some of my friends have been bullied. For example, my friend at school told me that she has been bullied when she was in elementary school, all of her friends used to get rid of her and say bad words to her, during the school she never had any friend.
Bullying is a serious problem, really serious! I do agree that teachers have important contribution to stop bullying, unfortunately only a few teachers are aware.