How much do you love your mobile phone? Could you live without it? Find out what British teenagers, parents and teachers say about the subject!

How old were you when you got a mobile? Everybody knows that teenagers love their phones. Here are some mobile phone facts.

• Two-thirds of 12-15-year-olds in the UK have a smartphone.
  • People in the UK send 50 text messages a week on average.
  • British 12-15-year-olds send an average of 200 messages a week.
  • British girls aged between 12 and 15 text more than boys of the same age group. Girls send 221 messages a week!

Parents

Parents want their kids to be safe. Are teenagers safer with a mobile phone or without? Many parents want their children to have a phone so that they can be in contact at any time or in any place. On the other hand, for lots of parents a phone is a source of possible danger. Parents worry that their child may meet the wrong kind of ‘friends’ on social networking sites or that they might receive cruel messages from school bullies. Some parents have rules about their children’s mobile phone and internet usage and bad behaviour can result in removal of mobile privileges.

The great thing about my kids having mobile phones is that I can keep in touch with them. The worst thing about teenagers having phones is that some young people use them to send offensive messages to each other.
William, from Coventry. William is a parent of two teenagers.

A teenager feels lost without a phone. If my daughters behave badly, I confiscate their phones and their behaviour quickly improves.
Kiera, mother of 15-year-old twins.

School

Mobile phones are permitted at school in the UK but pupils are not allowed to use them in class and they must be on silent during lessons. Teachers can take away phones if these rules are broken. School students can use their phones at break time and at lunchtime. Some teachers in British schools complain that pupils don’t always follow the rules and that lessons are disrupted by people texting, making and receiving calls, looking at social networking sites, watching videos and even making videos in the class.

My mum is scared that I’m going to lose my phone or that someone is going to steal it. She won’t buy me the really cool phone that I want. I’ve got this rubbish one that doesn’t do much. I suppose that makes sense but it’s not fair that everyone else has a smartphone and I don’t.
Tam, 14, from Wrexham.

I know that some people want mobiles to be banned at school but as a language teacher I find that phones can be pretty useful in class ... for educational purposes of course. For example, the students write a dialogue in French, they record it on a phone, then they listen to the recording and try to correct any mistakes or improve pronunciation. They love it!
Stan, from Chester. Stan is a French teacher.

Messaging

A mobile phone contract in the UK usually comes with a number of text messages included in the price. Of course lots of people send messages completely free of charge using an app that’s also free to download. If you want to send text messages in English you need to know some abbreviations. Here are some to get you started:

LOL = laugh out loud
POS = parent over shoulder
BRB = be right back
TYVM = thank you very much
BCNU = be seeing you (meaning ‘goodbye’)
ASAP = as soon as possible
OIC = oh I see (means ‘I understand’)
TTFN = Ta ta for now (means ‘goodbye')
BFFL = best friends for life

TYVM 4 reading this article. BCNU!

Some parents confiscate their teenager's phone as a punishment for poor behaviour. Is that a good idea? What's your opinion?

Comments

polge's picture
polge 9 May, 2016 - 19:01

A mobile phone is really important for all teenagers. But most of teenagers are using it very very much.

Miguel999111000's picture
Miguel999111000 14 April, 2016 - 20:21

I like this article becouse the mobile phone can be very dangerous if you don't use correctly and this article try to prevent this.

carmenjd's picture
carmenjd 14 April, 2016 - 16:36

I think the mobile phone is important for teenagers but sometimes have poor behaviour it is good take the phone.

almucastillero's picture
almucastillero 14 April, 2016 - 14:47

I think, nowadays mobile phones are very important for our lifes and I desagree with that

Jesulin's picture
Jesulin 13 April, 2016 - 21:28

I think phones are important in our lifes,and they help us a lot,but sometimes we are addicts and we use them too much.I think we can live without phones and we need to use them less and respect some rules like dont use it while eating or speaking face to face.
In conclusion phones are important but not necessary.

ANABR's picture
ANABR 13 April, 2016 - 20:20

In my opinion, I think that nowadays teenagers depend very much on their phones; so sometimes it is properly that our parents take it away. in this way they will not have a poor behaviour.

Alvaromtb's picture
Alvaromtb 13 April, 2016 - 19:52

My opinion is that our parents, do the correct removing our mobile, so we focus more in our studies, which is what we should do

AnaCant3's picture
AnaCant3 13 April, 2016 - 19:43

I think that bad behaviour must be punished, and that's a good punishment because we are every time mor addicted to our mobile phones.

fbascon's picture
fbascon 13 April, 2016 - 17:37

We think the mobile phone are very important and essential in our life but these is false. We can live without our mobile phones.

isabelbm01's picture
isabelbm01 13 April, 2016 - 16:57

In my opinion with the passage of the years increasingly mobiles phones are purchased before the children and increasingly children studied less and take worst notes because they are distracted with the mobile phone.

Mjjimcan's picture
Mjjimcan 13 April, 2016 - 16:54

In my opinion it is a good idea becouse your parents know what is the best for you and all things they do are for your own the best, but sometimes students need their phone too search information or to do their homework.

Leonor's picture
Leonor 13 April, 2016 - 16:31

I think it depends on the time you pass with your mobile phone and how important is for you, because if the teenager is all the day with the mobile, confiscate it would be a good punishment for poor behaviour but if is a teenager who doesn't care about mobiles it won't be very effective.

nerea2016's picture
nerea2016 13 April, 2016 - 16:06

I think this article is very interesting.I can understand that parents want us to be safe but They have to understand that a mobile phone is very useful and can keep you in contact with them wherever you are.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 14 April, 2016 - 07:48

Hi Nerea2016,
Welcome to LearnEnglish Teens! I have changed your username because we don't allow real names (name and surname) as usernames for safety reasons. It makes it easy to identify you in real life. Make sure you stay safe online by protecting your identity.
So, please use this username to log in from now on. If you have any doubts or questions, please send us an email or you can check our House Rules here: http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/house-rules
We hope you enjoy using the website.
Thanks :)
Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens Team)
Nano_2001's picture
Nano_2001 30 November, 2015 - 16:23

In my opinion i think that this article useful as many teenagers now are using their cellphones badly. however,the cellphone is extremely important for contacting each other.

PandajuanCoarTacna's picture
PandajuanCoarTacna 6 November, 2015 - 01:50

In my opinion is a good option because the student usually distracts with this device, but the cell phone is very important for some things,

lacausitaangelaleiva's picture
lacausitaangelaleiva 5 November, 2015 - 16:24

In my opinion it´s not goog idea. because cell phones are a source of communication.

melgizeh's picture
melgizeh 5 November, 2015 - 16:23

Nowadays, cell phones are being misused by young people. They should spend more time with their parents.

Anngie_123's picture
Anngie_123 5 November, 2015 - 16:19

I think it's a bad idea, because the teenagers probably even behave worse , the parents should talk with their children.

Lalosgf's picture
Lalosgf 5 November, 2015 - 16:18

In my opinion I am not sure about that because the phones are very important for their and the solution is simple the parents has to talk with their childrens about this problem

mariamontcoart's picture
mariamontcoart 5 November, 2015 - 16:16

In my opinion it is incorrect ,it is bad idea ,because the parents can talk to the teenagers.

Mai_27's picture
Mai_27 5 November, 2015 - 16:14

I believe, before, the parents punishment to their children, They have to speak with their children, them if it's necessary a punishment yes, if no, no.

evelynjimenez's picture
evelynjimenez 5 November, 2015 - 16:20

in my opinion the idea is good because it is a way that the teen to understand that evil that they have done and at the same time it is not violence but only detract materially.

calebmm20's picture
calebmm20 5 November, 2015 - 16:12

I´m afraid I have to disagree.
I think that it is not a good idea to remove adolescents their mobile phones as a form of punishment however teens think that their lives depend on their mobile phones.