Jingle bells, jingle bells ... Have you done your Christmas shopping yet? Watch this video to see how a shop is getting ready for Christmas.

This video is part of our Word on the Street series. Word on the Street is an exciting new English Language teaching programme co-produced by the BBC and the British Council.

You voted 5. Total votes: 1267

Do you look forward to Christmas? What Christmas traditions do you have in your country?

Comments

joesir's picture
joesir 24 December, 2015 - 09:41

Yes,I am looking forward to Christmas Day ,after today, it will be christmas day ,i am so excited now , in hong kong there are so many christmas trees and christmas lights on the street and the people sing christmas carols,hong kong people always eat christmas dinner with their family in a restaurant ,we often eat turkey,it will be 2016 soon ,what targets do you have for next year,i want to know ,tell me about them?

75 users have voted, including you.
fraenglishfra's picture
fraenglishfra 17 December, 2015 - 15:26

I'm from Italy; in Italy there aren't so many shops decorated for Christmas.
I love Christmas!!!

joesir's picture
joesir 12 December, 2015 - 03:22

In Hong Kong, many people have a Christmas party with their friends and lots of children like writing Christmas cards to their friends.Also, Hong Kong people like watching Christmas lights in Tsim Sha Tsui at night. The lights are bright and beautiful.
And I prefer giving presents to others. I always spend some time to choose Christmas presents for my friends.

pcholka's picture
pcholka 23 December, 2014 - 16:57

Hello! I am from Belarus! I am looking forward to Christmas! In our country there are some special traditions. And one of them is giving gifts to friends and family! But I prefer to receive them, because it is more interesting!!! :)

VaryaVatateka's picture
VaryaVatateka 21 December, 2014 - 18:30

Hi! I am Varvara. I am from Belarus.
In my country there are a lot of traditions. The first tradition is decorating Christmas tree. It is wonderful and very beautiful.
The second tradition is to buy a lot of presents for all family:sprint, clothes, shoes and other. I like gining presents more, than receiving and everyone should fell Christmas miracle.
The third tradition is to have Christmas dinner. Yummy!
Every year on the first of January we dance and sing songs. I like this tradition very much!
And the firth tradition is writing Christmas list. Every year children write letter for Santa. I like this tradition!

capitondasha1's picture
capitondasha1 19 December, 2014 - 18:46

I am from in Belarus.There are many traditions in Belarus,such as decorating streets with lights,having Christmas dinner and singing Christmas carols,telling Christmas stories.At Christmas night people pulling Christmas crackers.

StarGamer's picture
StarGamer 19 December, 2014 - 16:41

I`m from Belarus.We celebrate Christmas on December 25th.There are many Christmas traditions in Belarus,such as having Christmas dinner,singing Christmas carols,decoraning streets with colourfull lights,telling Christmas stories,pulling crackers and fireworks and we hanging mistletoe over a doorway.At Christmas dinner we eat Christmas puding,roast turkey and differents salats.We put many presents under Christmas tree for each other.

Yankaprimak's picture
Yankaprimak 19 December, 2014 - 12:23

Hi! I'm Yana. I'm from Belarus. Like all children I'm looking forward to Christmas. I think it's one of the most exciting holidays, something magic is in the air.
As for traditions, I think nothing special. Like all families we decorate a Christmas tree and have a traditional Christmas dinner. We cook chicken and meat. Me mum cooks a chocolate cake. At night we watch fireworks.

phanphuong's picture
phanphuong 16 December, 2014 - 10:06

Christmas in Vietnam is less busy and more quite than west countries. I only see the movie in that night. nothing special

Leia's picture
Leia 18 December, 2013 - 13:41

That looks funny and exciting. I also want to enjoy chirstmas!! However, I didn't celerbrate that. I didn't see any festival which related with chirstmas around me.

maryagnes's picture
maryagnes 16 December, 2013 - 21:10

I'm look forward to Christmas because I love the Christmas, Christmas Time with lights on the streets, songs and others things.
In my country, Portugal , there are some traditions for example on night of 24 December , people eat codfish with patotoes and on 25 December people eat turkey , and there are others traditions

Merry Christimas !!!

natianatianatia's picture
natianatianatia 15 December, 2013 - 09:44

Very good video.Yes,in Georgia we have Christmas Traditions too.But I think that yours is better :)

Toma English's picture
Toma English 6 July, 2013 - 23:51

I'm not looking forward Christmas because I'm Muslim ,but in Egypt , Christmas is not very popular because Christians are not many ,although they are the 2nd biggest religion in Egypt , also we don't have big celebration for Christmas , but we have some celebrations for the New Year instead ! :D

Linh's picture
Linh 28 May, 2013 - 12:12

In this video,the shops in Christmas day are really beautiful ! i like this air !!!!Although I rarely go out in that day ( because the streets crowed with many people )

SMRM's picture
SMRM 20 May, 2013 - 19:29

I really enjoy this video because Christmas is a party that i like and i love staying with the family , receive presents and you have a good time. :))))

AlinaKho's picture
AlinaKho 20 March, 2013 - 08:07

Celebrating Christmas in the UK seems to be awesome! I'd like to do it one day and hope my dream will come true. I live in Russia and here we celebrate Christmas is on January,7. It's not so popular here, actually, most of the people who celebrate it are very religious because lots of people think about Christmas as bout religious holiday. Probably that's why it's not so important here.