Oliver and Alfie are at home when Daisy and Amy arrive. Sophie is in Hammerfest in northern Norway.

We use adverbs of frequency – like sometimes or usually – to say how often we do things, or how often things happen.

I never have any problems with adverbs of frequency.

OK, let's see what you know. We use adverbs of frequency in this order, according to their meaning.

100%           0%
always usually/normally often sometimes occasionally hardly ever never

Are there any missing?

I think that’s most of them. You could include frequently, with usually. We use not very often too.

Very good, you’re right. These are the most common adverbs, although there are more.

They always hang out together.
The Northern Lights are usually green.
You normally see them best in September or March.
It’s often cloudy.

What do you notice about the position of the adverbs?

They are usually before the main verb, or between the auxiliary and the main verb. But they come after the verb to be.

Excellent! Can they also be at the beginning or the end of the sentence?

Yes, I think so. 'Sometimes I'm alone.' That sounds OK.

Yes, we can use some adverbs of frequency at the beginning or end of a sentence for emphasis.

Occasionally I meet her for a coffee.

We can use usually, often, sometimes and occasionally at the beginning of a sentence, and sometimes and often at the end. We use adverb expressions like a lot or not + (very) much after the main verb too.

She travels a lot.
He doesn’t study very much.

Be careful with never. It is already negative, so we can’t use it with not.

I never go to the supermarket with my mother.

I’ve just remembered some more expressions! What about once a week, twice a year, etc.?

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about those.

Take the medicine three times a day.
We usually go swimming twice a month.
You see them once in a lifetime, if you travel.

You see, I’m not always annoying.

OK, sorry. I’m not always right either. Usually, but not always!

Grammar:

What are your hobbies? How often do you do them?

Comments

Ken's picture
Ken 10 August, 2016 - 09:20

Hi Panda
I've got questions for you.
1. What are the titles of your favourits?
2. Do you read boys' manga, too?
3. How old are you?

hadia's picture
hadia 25 October, 2016 - 02:33

Hey Ken!
Do you watch Anime??? I haven't ever read manga but I love watching Anime.......that's one of my fav. hobby :)

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 18 June, 2017 - 10:45

I haven't read manga but I've watched a few of them. They are good, and you can learn a lot of Japanese words from them. My fav manga is Yokai watch. And yeah, watching anime is one of my hobbies too. Pokemon, Beyblade, Doraemon, Naruto, oh, the list is endless.... :)))

Ken's picture
Ken 29 October, 2016 - 14:19

Hi hadia.
Thanks for the comment.
I guess you're a fan of Doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan or Sazae-san, huh?
d(-_^)good!!

hadia's picture
hadia 7 November, 2016 - 15:08

Doraemon is love. It has always been my favourite. But the other on the list are unknown to me. Well, I'll try to watch them too ;) Obviously, if you say, they must be a good watch.
Thanks, the ;/

EkinA's picture
EkinA 7 August, 2016 - 21:14

I've got analog camera. I often use black and white films. I normally take photos and photofinishing.
I occasionally do yoga and ı bike twice a week.

serg83's picture
serg83 5 June, 2016 - 19:23

My hobbies are foreign languages and computer. I'm learning English each day. I do various exersizes.

armando's picture
armando 2 June, 2016 - 03:33

I like swimming. I forever swimming at afternoon unti the night swimming is fresh!

Fado23fado's picture
Fado23fado 15 May, 2016 - 15:08

My favorite hobby is to play basketball. I usually play basketball with my close friends after school. I think that to play basketball is good way to make a new friend. I live a dormitory so i have change to read book with my friends.I read a book with my friend twice a week. After the read a book, we share information each other. Therefore, we gain easily knowledge about different issues and sometimes discuss about some topics each other.

Drylan's picture
Drylan 2 April, 2016 - 23:59

I'm always listening to music and I love listen to new albums. I occasionally practice sports in school. I often read books, mostly young adult novels and I seldom play videogames.
Sometimes I play guitar, but I'm not very good at it, lack of practice, I guess.

princess2001's picture
princess2001 10 December, 2015 - 09:08

My favorite hobby is cooking but nowadays I'm much interested in learning English language. I usually visit this site once a day for learning something more about spoken English. As far as cooking is concerned, I cook gravy once a day, only in the evening, and occasionally cook rice. I normally go for shopping once a week or a fortnight but can never sew my clothes myself due to being very busy nowadays as I'm having to attend classes twice a week. further I visit my relatives quite often a day as I am living in their neighbourhood.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 10 December, 2015 - 09:53

Hi princess! Nice to meet you!
What a lovely lady you are!
BTW, I'm interested in what you cook. Will you tell me about gravy please?
Elsa

princess2001's picture
princess2001 7 January, 2016 - 19:19

Hi Elsa, would you like to introduce yourself to me? I think your English is better than mine and you are the person who passes comments on other's comments. It help us improve our English.

princess2001's picture
princess2001 7 January, 2016 - 18:53

happy to meet you too. thanks for appreciation. as far as gravy is concerned, I usually cook seasonal vegetables and try to avoid meat rice as they cause constipation weight gain. I occasionally watch cooking websites to learn new recipes and to improve already learnt ones.this hobby has benefited me in the way that now my dishes are tastier than they were before.

Nicoll19's picture
Nicoll19 20 October, 2015 - 16:51

Hi! My hobby is playing volleyball and go out with my family, but I usually go out with them once a week, because I study from Monday to Saturday.

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 21 October, 2015 - 14:21

Hi, do you frequently hit nightclubs to dance?
I've never been there, my parents worry about my going to a pickup spot, but sound fun...! :)

AlessandroCT45's picture
AlessandroCT45 20 October, 2015 - 16:39

I always listen to music, read a book and play sports, I do karate in the mornings and play another ball sports at night. i usually dance and sing because is very interesting and is a good moment for spend time with my friends.

Arialixa's picture
Arialixa 20 October, 2015 - 16:34

I always liisten to electro music, I usually dance the famous game "Just Dance 2015" in the afternoons and, finally, I sometimes readd a good book in my free time.

Diegocoart's picture
Diegocoart 20 October, 2015 - 15:15

my hobby is listening to music in English to facilitate my learning of English and I almost always visit british council is a good web site

Karen_Yhanela_coart's picture
Karen_Yhanela_coart 20 October, 2015 - 15:10

My hobby is lisening to music. I usually lisen to music with my friends in my free time.

Anelitatali's picture
Anelitatali 20 October, 2015 - 15:04

I like to play with my brother and my cousins also and like dance, all the weekends I always go out for a walk with my cousins friends and sometimes with my parents is super fun.

Melodycoart's picture
Melodycoart 20 October, 2015 - 14:59

My hobbies are play soccer twice a week. I always read a book of fiction. I sometimes check a facebook and gmail, also play video games once a week.
Thanks.

Nargizka1995's picture
Nargizka1995 27 August, 2015 - 10:55

I always play with my daughter. Also, I like sew a clothes, read a books, cook something interesting from internet books , but now I do not have free time, it so sad...(((

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 27 August, 2015 - 11:22

Hi Nargizka1995. Thanks for joining LearnEnglish Teens but this website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old. You are welcome to keep on reading pages on here but please do not post any more comments, as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other. But you are welcome to join our LearnEnglish page for adults and post comments there: www.britishcouncil.org/learnenglish

Best wishes :)

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)