In the Italian city of Verona, two families hate each other. Romeo is from the Montague family and Juliet is a Capulet, but they fall in love at first sight. This is their tragic love story.

Have you seen the film? The 1996 film version of Romeo and Juliet was a huge success and people love the story just as much today as when the play was first published in 1597!

Are Romeo and Juliet’s deaths just a tragic accident? If not, who is responsible?

Do you think the story of Romeo and Juliet is relevant to life today?

Comments

Elsa007's picture
Elsa007 14 March, 2017 - 14:40

Definitely I think the story is a tragedy. But all the way around, it's more than just a tragic accident. Because it put a question to us as for LOVE. Could the parents of the two fighting families imagine how strongly their son and daughter loved each other?
I don't feel sorry for Romeo actually, but rather I think he's beautiful. He showed that he couldn't live without Juliet at the risk of his life. And I think Juliet followed him to respond to his love. ---"Just the Two of Us"! Eventually, they're joined together to posterity.

I sometimes hear the similar story involving an arranged marriage. For teenagers, I reckon it's hard to resist parents if they have a power.✨

Sille12345's picture
Sille12345 14 March, 2017 - 08:35

Romeo and Juliet is a very sad love story, but their tragedy deaths isn't accidents. Their parents are why they both committed suicide, they couldn't accept Romeo and Juliet's love because of their hate to each other is too strong. Just because the parents fight it dosen't have to cause their kids death. But still if the parents hadn't fought they would maybe never have met.
I think the story is relevant for today, because many parents troubles goes beyond their kids.

bob56's picture
bob56 14 March, 2017 - 08:26

This is such a tragic love story. I think it is sad that the to families ruined two young people and their chance to love each other. To know that arranged marriage is still a part of our evolved world makes me really sad. I feel so blessed that I live in a part of the world, where we do not have to worry about arranged marriage, and I hope that this story will make people that creates these kind of marriages aware of the tragic it can cause.

danishpower's picture
danishpower 14 March, 2017 - 08:21

I believe that if the families had not been enemies Romeo and Juliet had lived a happy life.
So i guess you could say it is their parents fault. But there is so many other things that just went wrong. I think what Shakepear wanted to tell with this story is that people should drop their condemnations and just accept their love.

I think there is a relevant connection in the difference between races. It is really rare that christian people

Victoria1234's picture
Victoria1234 14 March, 2017 - 08:19

I think that their parents and families are ressponsble for this tragic accident. If the two families haven't hated each other, it would't have went this way. It is very childish to go and hate each other like that, and they first stopes hating each other when their children died and that is too late.

Mathildecf's picture
Mathildecf 14 March, 2017 - 08:14

I think that it was a tragic accident. Romeo never got the message from Friar Lawrence, about faking the death (like written^)
And if the families hadn't been in a fight, they would never be a couple.

KarateeKid's picture
KarateeKid 14 March, 2017 - 08:12

I find the story about Romeo and Juliet very tragic. It was a big misunderstanding, and it leaves you with a feeling, that they could have lived happily together if things had gone right. But aren't all love-tragedies like that? For example Titanic.
I think the parents are very responsible for the accident. If the two families hadn't fought in the first place, there wouldn't have been an accident. The parents should just have accepted that love is love, and given the two in love to each other.
The story is still relevant today because parents now days have to accept that love is love.

frikkemus15's picture
frikkemus15 14 March, 2017 - 08:12

I think that it is a tragic accident. Romeo never got the message from friar Lawrence telling him that Juliet had taken a drug to fake her death. Romeo thought that she is dead and kill himself. When she wake up from the fake death she so that he is death and she became suicide.

DasViking's picture
DasViking 14 March, 2017 - 08:10

I believe that it is the two families fault that Romeo and Julliet didn't have a "happily ever after". Because of their constant battles and fighting they forget one of the most important thing in life, that's right i'm talking about LOVE! And I know that sounds cheesy as hell, but unfortunately that´s the truth, or at least that's what I believe. If the families would stop their battles they might still have a daughter and a son. I think the story is great, but i don't know if it's so relevant today

AsianPower's picture
AsianPower 14 March, 2017 - 08:10

I believe that the families are the reason for their deaths, because they let their hatred overshadow their children's love for each other. I don't think it's just a tragic accident. It is so much more than that. Yes I think it is relevant today because arranged marriage is still a thing that exists. And even in countries were it doesn't exists families that hate each other were they won't let their children marry each other even if they are madly in love with each other.

frejalovesbieber1234's picture
frejalovesbieber1234 14 March, 2017 - 08:10

I think that under the circumstances it was a tragic accident, and i think no one is responsible, but if the parents didn't fight it would be different.
Do you think the story of Romeo and Juliet is relevant to life today?
I think that maybe a much more mild version could happen today where the parents didn't like each other, so the kids dont end up together but i dont think that anyone would kill themselves at the age of 14.

jegermegaawesome's picture
jegermegaawesome 14 March, 2017 - 08:07

I think that the death of Juliet and Romeo is tragically. But It wouldn't had happen if their families weren't fighting against each other. But it ain't only the parrents' and families' fault. If the priest hadn't gave Juliet the drug, Romeo wouldn't thought that Juliet was dead.

I think that the story still is relevant today, because some families are fighting against each other. Most teenager's parrents wouldn't be happy if their daughter/son mariage a person from exampel a country that they are in war with...

Juller's picture
Juller 14 March, 2017 - 08:02

I don't think their death was a accident. I thinks their parents and their families was responsible, but not only them, also the preist. The story is still relevant today, because their still are some parents that are like the parents in the story.

IntetNavn's picture
IntetNavn 14 March, 2017 - 07:56

I believe that Romeo and Juliets death were an accident, but the feud between their families definitely didnt help them. I mean, Tybalt wouldnt have had a problem with Romeo if the feud hadnt been there. I honestly think it was the feuds fault and the rest of the families for not breaking the social heritage. The feud had been there for generations and if the parents had tried to stop the feud or made peace before their childrens death, it wouldnt have ended so tragic.
I do think it is relevant for the present day with arranged marriages and dying love.

EJtse's picture
EJtse 6 September, 2016 - 10:17

I think Romeo and Juliet's deaths are to blame on their parents because their families were fighting just to be the most powerful in the city. If they were not arguing then R & J could have been happily married with the blessing of their families and no one would need to have died. The fued caused so many people to die. It's so tragic. I hope it's not a true story. It's a bit like things today where parents put a lot of pressure on their kids.

icecream1337's picture
icecream1337 20 May, 2016 - 12:24

I do not believe that it was a tragic accident. Due to the two families fued, they destroyed two young people's love. I believe that the only one who can be blamed for the tragedy is the Capulets and the Montagues. They were to caught up in their own problems with each other, that they destroyes theie own children in the process.
I believe that this could happen today as well. Love is all around us and people fall in love every day.

Sevka_85's picture
Sevka_85 9 May, 2016 - 03:50

I also like this work . Their death wasn't a tragic accident but the results of two families' hatred . Of course their families were responsible for all of this. If they let them marry it wouldn't happened .today also happen such hopeless love .

Gabry99's picture
Gabry99 20 April, 2016 - 22:31

I think this is one of the best works of shakespeare. I like it for the love story, the conflict between the two families, ended only after the death of the lovers, makes you think. Today, unfortunately, even if in a different way, there are a trouble of this kind.

saukgp's picture
saukgp 16 April, 2016 - 09:49

My favourite part in Romeo and Juliet has the death scene. Most romantic and tragic of all.

IWOUTO1337's picture
IWOUTO1337 10 April, 2016 - 11:32

I wouldn't really say that the death of Romeo and Juliet was an accident. I would rather say that it's an outcome of the two families endless fight. Just think about it, if the two families didn't fight Romeo and Juliet wouldn't have to hide their love in secrecy. I don't think this particular scenario would happen today. Though some people are not allowed to love one another because of religion or ethnicity.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 22 March, 2016 - 08:10

Hi danchi411, Thanks for your message. I'm sorry but this video is not available for downloading. Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)

00sil02's picture
00sil02 15 March, 2016 - 18:52

I don't think it's just a tragic accident. I think that the ones who are responsible for their death are their families who keeps on fighting. If they would've been friends the death would never happened. I think that the story is relevant today as well. I think that many people aren't able to live with the people they love because of religion or conflicts.

goppis1337's picture
goppis1337 13 March, 2016 - 21:26

Well i wouldn't say that their deaths was accidents. They were rather an outcome of the hatred between two families. This is not relevant today. There are no such pills that can stop your heartbeat and all that to seem dead.

STS_Wyvern's picture
STS_Wyvern 13 March, 2016 - 20:38

I would use a Swedish quote to describe this. "Vi är alla lika goda kålsupare" which means that we are all equally bad and I think that everybody in the story is to blame, the families for killing each other, the priest for not getting his message through, Romeo and Juliet for committing suicide. Also, it's not applicable to today's life as we don't hate someone so much we fight in the streets and hold each other from marrying the people we don't like.

Dade's picture
Dade 13 March, 2016 - 19:55

I think it's their families feud that is responsible for the tragic deaths. This could be compared to today, if you for example, take a girl from a very religous family that wants to marry a non-religous man and the girls family dissaproves this because of the man not being as they want him to be, instead of letting their love decide what will happen.

TovaBerntsson's picture
TovaBerntsson 13 March, 2016 - 19:50

I belive that their deaths was an accident but I Think it could have been stopped if the family wouldn´t hate eachother so much. I do acutally belive that this story can reatable to today´s World because it´s so much hate today. Everybody hates on Groups or single persons, so I really Think you can compare this story and the World we live in today.

GustafBen's picture
GustafBen 13 March, 2016 - 19:01

Their deaths were accidents as a result of a strong hate between the two families. I think this can relatable to today's world with a strong hate being created between different groups of people that, when they finally have a mutual lose or enemy, unite when it's too late.