Magazine topic:
Life around the world

Flapjacks: a British snack

by :
KatiedeS

The other day I was talking to an American friend about how I wanted to make flapjacks. We went out to buy the ingredients at the supermarket together and she was very confused as to why I was buying porridge oats. As it turns out, flapjacks are a completely different thing in the United States from what we have in the United Kingdom. In fact, if an American person talks about a flapjack, they will usually be describing a pancake. I spoke to some of my French friends about flapjacks too, and they haven't come across them before either! After doing some research online, I discovered that flapjacks originate from the UK so really are a truly British snack.

Flapjacks, as we know them in the UK, are sweet tray-baked oat bars made from oats, butter, sugar and golden syrup or honey. You can also add yummy extras such as dried fruit, chocolate chips or nuts to make them a bit more exciting. Here's my flapjack recipe if you want to have a go at making them at home. They're really easy to make but can be very moreish!

Ingredients

• 250g porridge oats
  • 125g butter
  • 125g brown sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons golden syrup or runny honey

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
  2. Melt the butter over a low heat.
  3. Add the sugar and golden syrup and stir until it dissolves.
  4. Remove from the heat and mix in the porridge oats.
  5. Pour the mixture into a large lined or greased baking tin and squish down using the spoon.
  6. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
  7. Once cooked, leave them to cool for 15 minutes then cut into squares.
  8. Eat and enjoy!

Have you ever tried flapjacks? What's your favourite thing to bake at home?

Comments

AnastasiyaBaskakova's picture
AnastasiyaBaskakova 21 April, 2019 - 13:59

I got hungry while reading your recipe...)
I haven't tried flapjacks yet, but I really want to, becuse your recipe is mouth-watering...)))

Now, I want to share my recipe with you. It's called "tender cutlets".
We need: chicken fillet, champignons, cheese, mayonnaise.
Firstly, we need to make ground chicken with mushrooms
Secondly, we need to grate cheese
Thirdly, we should butter the baking tray
sculpt cutlets
put them on the baking tray
put mayonnaise on them
sprinkle cheese
Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius degrees, put the baking tray into the oven, cook it for 40-50 minutes
I like it to be served with mashed potatoes on the side.

I hope you'll try to cook it, because it's my favourite dish!
Thank you for your recipe!

MarchRaccoon's picture
MarchRaccoon 16 April, 2019 - 15:18

It looks soooo delicious *-* I'll try it some day. And here's my favorite recipe for butter shortbread.
You need: 1 cup/8 ounces butter (softened)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups/9 ounces all-purpose flour
1. Heat the oven to 300 F / 150 C / Gas 2.
2. Combine butter and sugar, then add flour.
3. Make small cookies with the your favorite shape.
4. Bake it for 30-40 min. until just lightly browned.
5. Enjoy!
P.S. You can also add a little bit of ground ginger or cinnamon

blueskiesforever's picture
blueskiesforever 15 April, 2019 - 20:49

Hello guys! This recipe seems to be very interesting and quite easy to cook. I think I will give it a try one day!
I'd also love to share my favourite recipe with you. My grandma and I cook dumplings every Sunday. All you need to do is stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl. Then cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk to make a soft dough.
Drop by spoonfuls into boiling stew. Cover and simmer 15 minutes without lifting lid. Serve.
To make parsley dumplings, add 1 tablespoon parsley flakes to the dry ingredients! :)
There's nothing difficult at all and yet so yummy! You can also add some sour cream on the top when they're cooked.

ats_mvn's picture
ats_mvn 14 April, 2019 - 18:41

Cooking cupcakes does not take much time. To prepare a simple dessert can with minimal products and time. The cupcake with the addition of sour cream turns out very tasty and tender, and the smell of vanilla will make you want to taste it immediately.

The recipe for the cupcake
When it is necessary to prepare a sweet dessert, but no time at all, will always help the recipe of the cupcake. The most popular types of muffins are the muffins. The preparation is not time consuming, and they are always extremely tasty.
With a minimum of food in the fridge, you can start baking the cake is, when the guests at the door. In that case, if you have different ingredients, you can try to cook a fancy dessert. Cupcake sour cream gives a very delicate, airy, and most importantly useful.

hamza123's picture
hamza123 17 July, 2016 - 22:41

Here in morocco , we have these flapjacks too , they are sold for 1 dirhams which equals 0.09 £ and they are full of honey but unfortunetly , I don't eat them because I am on a diet

Menessi's picture
Menessi 24 April, 2016 - 19:22

Thank you!And I want to share with you the recipe of Salad "French" - very quick and tasty layered salad with carrots and eggs, apples and cheese. The perfect solution for late guests and dinner.For salad we need some apples,carrots,eggs,cheese and onions.You can use mayonnaise as a dressing.Now I will tell you how to cook it.First, hard-boiled boil eggs,then peel them and grate on a coarse grater.After proceed to the carrot,wash and be cleaned from the peel and also grate.The same we do with apples.Left to wash,clean and finely dice the onion.And don't forget to grate the cheese.Cheese choose according to your taste and then your salad is especially delicious.Now we need to put all ingredients by layers:1 layer-onions+mayonnaise 2nd layer-Apple +mayonnaise,3rd layer-eggs+mayonnaise 4th layer-carrot+mayonnaise and, finally, 5 layer-cheese.Top the salad can be sprinkled with parsley.Bon appetit!

babina's picture
babina 24 April, 2016 - 17:09

I really liked your recipe. Unfortunatelly, I've never tasted it. I believe I'll correct this mistake soon:)) If you don't mind I'd like to share my favourite recipe too. This is a VERY VERY delicious apple pie called Charlotte. Recently I've found the most simple recipe to cook the dish. You'll need 3 apples, 5-6 eggs, a cup of sugar, a pinch of salt, a tea spoon of vanilla essence, a cup of flour, a pinch of starch and some butter. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. First of all, you'll need to knead the dough. Beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture is slightly expanded, this can take 3-4 minutes with the whisk. Then add some salt, a pinch of starch, flour and mix again. Peel, core ang thinly slice the apples. Grease a large bowl with butter. After that you'll need only to put the apples in the bowl and sprinkle the cake with flour. The dough should completely cover the fruit. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the kind of oven you have. The top should be well browned. I hope my recipe will help someone:)

Ajeya's picture
Ajeya 24 April, 2016 - 12:58

The recipe is fantastic! Talking about yummies, recently been obsessed with roasted banana ice cream, which I had had when an ice cream truck called Itizy rolled into my life last summer. You bake the bananas resplendent with brown sugar and butter in the oven at high temperature until it’s (surprise) roasted enough to disintegrate into sludge when you stir it with a spoon, and then you blend with whole milk, vanilla, salt, and dump the contents into the ice cream maker. Obsessed, I tell you.

Albina5sos's picture
Albina5sos 24 April, 2016 - 11:20

Heey:) It's a really interesting recipe, wanna try to cook it someday soon! I'm a sweet-tooth, so I'm sure I'd like it, huh. Thank you!;)
Well as for me, I adore chocolate muffins. I guess you cooked them as well, but I still want to share my recipe with you.^^
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 cup flour, 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to175 degrees C.
2. Grease 6-12 muffin tins.
3. Blend together butter, eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda and stir thoroughly.
4. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Hope this recipe will be helpful! Good luck :)

SnowySnow's picture
SnowySnow 24 April, 2016 - 11:17

Oh, it's really nice recipe! I'd like to share my recipe for meringue :) I's quite easy to make too and it's a real seviour when you don't have anything sweet at home:)
You need 3 eggs (only egg - whites), 160-175 g sugar or icing sugar and a pinch of citric acid. Firsly, pour egg whites in a bowl, then add sugar and citric acid (the bowl must be clean and degreased). Beat them up with a mixer for about 3-4 minutes (preferably at slow speed). Then cover a baking tray with butter-paper and lay out the mass using a spoon. Preheat the oven to 150 C, put the baking tray in, then reduce the temperature to 140C, dry a little meringue and turn off the oven in 15 minutes. Our meringues are ready-to-use:) Eat and enjoy!

reggione's picture
reggione 24 April, 2016 - 10:33

I want to tell you about my favorite pie with sour cream. You need:
- 1 Cup of sour cream, sugar and flour;
- 3 egg yolks (or 3 whole small egg);
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder or ¼ teaspoon soda;
- raisins and nuts – the more, the better.
Method: Mixer and whip eggs with sugar, add sour cream. add flour Mixed with baking powder. Stir and add raisins and nuts. Put the pastry into shape. Bake at 200 degrees for about 50 minutes. Enjoy your meal! :)

Lehmann's picture
Lehmann 23 April, 2016 - 17:09

Thank you^_^ I did enjoy this recipe, so catch the one which is my favourite;)
I'm sure that everyone ever wanted to make their own ice-cream, because it's probable to be ruined buying as much ice-cream as you want:) So, let's get baking! For our ice-cream base, we need some cow's milk, dried milk, a yolk of egg and some sugar. First of all, we mix some milk and dried milk and boil it in a pot. Then we whisk a yolk with sugar and pour it into the pot with milk. Then we boil this mixture for ten minutes. Now we pour it into a container and keep in a fridge for about 8 hours.
After that we add cocoa powder to our ice-cream base, cinnamon for a little bit of spice, vanilla extract and red food colouring. And then we simply whisk all of these ingredients together. Our ice-cream is ready for a container and we put it in the freezer for six hours or preferably overnight. I hope you will enjoy your own homemade ice-cream. I know I will;)

Ken's picture
Ken 23 April, 2016 - 13:54

I never knew flapjacks, but I know the similar shape of snack.
I've tried making rice crispy! Yummy and easy!
٩(๑❛ᴗ❛๑)۶

Raxana's picture
Raxana 10 April, 2016 - 08:33

What an amazing recipe! Gonna do it right now! As for me, I'm a big fan of chocolate brownies =)

Raxana's picture
Raxana 22 April, 2016 - 20:05

You bet! Brownies + ice cream = Cloud nine!) Flapjacks are lovely! Gonna be my speciality one day, I hope! Though I doubt that mine were British ones) Thank u for the recipe!!!

KatiedeS's picture
KatiedeS 12 April, 2016 - 23:59

Thank you, I hope you enjoy making them! Chocolate brownies are my favourite too, especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

hadia's picture
hadia 29 March, 2016 - 10:31

Yum...yum.....yum
These resemble to one of over sweet items.....in Mithai...
Mithae consists generally of sweet pieces or bars of different types like Gulab jamun, Jalebi, Rus Gulas, ladoo, Barfi and many other others hahaha I actually named those which I eat :)
Well,they look quite similar to one of the items in Mithae but oops I really forget their name ;(
I'd really love to try these.
...My mom loves to bake and she'll surely help me bake these...
Yummy ....
Thanks for the recipe by the way:)0

KatiedeS's picture
KatiedeS 12 April, 2016 - 23:58

Mmm Mithai sound delicious too! I went to India last summer and tried lots of similar sweets, which were yummy. I hope you enjoy making the flapjacks with your Mum :)