Prospero was once the ruler of Milan, but he has been trapped on an island with his daughter for 12 years. When he uses his magic to create a violent storm, we see that he has a plan for his enemies.

The Tempest is thought to be Shakespeare’s last play, and his most original. It needed clever work to create the illusion of magic on stage, like early 'special effects'!

Why do you think Prospero gives up his magic at the end of the story?

Comments

icecream1337's picture
icecream1337 20 May, 2016 - 13:44

I believe that he realized what the magic caused him to do. The magic just gave him a push in the right direction to make peace with his brother. Now he can go back to his old life, a life where he does not need any magic.

vellvet's picture
vellvet 13 May, 2016 - 18:34

I can't watch the video. There is an error. Please, give a link for a video or repair this error. Thx!

GTANZARELLA's picture
GTANZARELLA 5 May, 2016 - 20:12

Bacause he forgives his borther and he blesses the marriage of the young couple. This is the last Shakespeare's work, and the end there were a farewell of Prospero and Shakespeare, throw the Prospero's words.

alessanselmi's picture
alessanselmi 5 May, 2016 - 16:43

Prospero is a very wise man in fact he used the magic to revenge so Antonio knew that he was wrong and Prospero reobtained the Milan domain.

GreenAura's picture
GreenAura 23 April, 2016 - 03:40

I think he wants to rule the kingdom by his own hands, not with the magic's help. So he gives up the magic.

IWOUTO1337's picture
IWOUTO1337 10 April, 2016 - 11:53

I believe that Prospero gave up his magic and moved back to Milan because he felt quite guilty. Also, he only used it when something needed changing. For example he got his revenge by creating the storm. Now that everyone has forgiven each other he has noting more to change, which makes him give up his magic.

yenthan's picture
yenthan 31 March, 2016 - 16:30

I think Prospero gives up his magic at the end of story because he received a good advices from everyone living on the island after telling them about Prospero's life story and what Antonio did to him passed 12 years in Milan. Then, Prospero felt guilties after activities use magic himself to make the shipwreck, along with taking a group of dogs to attack the three drunks.
Therefore, Prospero decide to give up his magic because that give not good consequens.
I want to give questions: Why do Prospero know the planning's three drunks to hang out rich colourful clothes ?
And Does Prospero meet Caliban on the island, then Prospero make Caliban to work no pay for him? because on video I see Prospero and his younger daughter is sailing a small boat.

GreenAura's picture
GreenAura 23 April, 2016 - 03:42

He knows that Caliban hates him, so when he sees him with two drunks he know they have a bad plan.

joesir's picture
joesir 9 April, 2016 - 04:23

It is because magic is so dangerous, it can make you become so ruthless. Therefore, it is not a great way to rule Milan.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 1 April, 2016 - 09:36

Hi yenthan! Great to hear your thoughts and questions on the play. I think you could be right about the magic. Prospero has supernatural ways of knowing and doing things, and in the original play, he has a spirit called Ariel who serves him by doing magic. In the original, Ariel tells Prospero about the plot to kill him, so he is prepared to stop them with the colourful clothes and dogs. In our version, it's not clear how Prospero knows ... just a magician's intuition?

You're completely right about Caliban. He was already living on the island when Prospero and Miranda arrived, and Prospero made him his slave. What do you think about this? Do you feel sorry for Caliban? I'm interested in your idea that Prospero has a guilty conscience.

Is anything Prospero has done justifiable after his brother betrayed him? What does everyone think?

GreenAura's picture
GreenAura 23 April, 2016 - 03:47

That's an interesting question about Caliban. He is greedy and violent, but doesn't deserve to be made a slave. Prospero is selfish and only thinks about his own needs when he comes to the island. He needed help and got it, but never asked if Caliban wants to help him.

yenthan's picture
yenthan 1 April, 2016 - 17:00

Hi Jo!
Thank you for your answers and questions!
Now I have an image about story in my mind because You told me more about the original play. Firstly, I listen to Prospero made Caliban his slave, I feel sorry for Caliban. Then I think that has reasons, perhaps because Caliban is a strange half-human or society in that age.
I don't know in which the story is pubnished- is a part of reason for Caliban is forced his slave.
I want to thank you for your wonderful letters!
I think Prospero is justifiable after his brother betrayed him by forgiving what the three drunks and Antonio did, and the ship's passengers all survive the storm and safely on the island as Ferdinand and his farther met together at the end of story, more then detail 'some sailors arrive and announce that the ship is fine after all'.
Finally, Prospero decided to do not want to be a magician any more because he has a guilty conscience.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 3 April, 2016 - 14:23

Hi Yenthan, Great! I'm glad that was useful food for thought for you. Caliban is a very interesting and complex character. He's hard to like but he is not treated fairly by Prospero. Morality is certainly not black and white in this play, which makes it all the more interesting ... if we can forgive Prospero, how can we condemn Caliban?

yenthan's picture
yenthan 3 April, 2016 - 16:24

Hi Jo!
Thank you for your question! It's interresting but I feel difficult to answer your question. Because Caliban do not treat Prospero in this play, Caliban along with the two drunks planned to kill Prospero but not reason. At the end of the story, I see that money is more important to them than killing Prospero. They were attracted by rich colourful clothes.
I don't understand detail 'He's hard to like"?. You can explainto me?
To white and good society, I think Caliban and the two drunks should be condemned because Caliban persuaded the other two to kill Prospero and then decided to steal Prospero's clothes.
You can tell me about the things Caliban treated fairly by Prospero in the original play?

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 4 April, 2016 - 12:08

Hi yenthan,
When I say 'He's hard to like', I mean 'He's difficult to like', or in other words, 'It is difficult to like him'. I see you're really enjoying Shakespeare! Have you checked out our other Shakespeare videos? And have a look at this website to find out about more about our Shakespeare Lives celebrations.

yenthan's picture
yenthan 4 April, 2016 - 14:33

Hi Jo,
Thanks very much for your time, and I enjoy taking with you.
I have certainly checked out Shakespeare videos and Shakespeare Lives. Tkank you for telling me about websites.

00sil02's picture
00sil02 15 March, 2016 - 19:17

I think that he gives up his magic because he think that he has used it for bad reasons and wants to leave it behind when he leaves the past of him and his brother behind.

STS_Wyvern's picture
STS_Wyvern 13 March, 2016 - 21:43

I think he feared the magic because magic is something unpredictable and wild. If you cannot understand it your first reaction is to fear it. That is probably why he gives magic up. He fears it and does not need it anymore. Then why keep it?

goppis1337's picture
goppis1337 13 March, 2016 - 20:35

Because he had used his magic for the wrong purpose. He wanted to leave that life behind and start from scratch.

TovaBerntsson's picture
TovaBerntsson 13 March, 2016 - 20:20

I Think that he left magic because he wasn´t proud of how he used it. He did some bad stuff that he shoudn´t have and because of that he decided to leave the magic behind and try to forget about the bad stuff he did with the magic

Dade's picture
Dade 13 March, 2016 - 20:15

I think Prospero gives up his magic because he doesn't need it any more. I feel that he knows he has caused enough harm to his brother already and that he dosen't want to continue hurting him.

GreenAura's picture
GreenAura 23 April, 2016 - 03:52

But his brother did much more harm to Prospero, he tried to kill him! Nobody died in the shipwreck.

FeddiH's picture
FeddiH 13 March, 2016 - 18:46

I think that he left his magic behind because he felt like he had used it for bad. This made him feel bad and that made him leave magic. It was a chapter in his life that he wasn't proud of.

agnesn's picture
agnesn 13 March, 2016 - 17:35

Prosper doesn't need his magic for protection anymore, since he starts to trust and forgive everyone in his surroundings. He finally felt like everything was in order again, and didn't feel the need to use his magic.

Daffodil4's picture
Daffodil4 13 March, 2016 - 16:39

I think he gives it up because he doesn’t need it any more, neither to survive on the island nor to take revenge on his brother. All Prospero wants is to become the ruler of Milan, instead of being a magician. He thinks he can live a happy life now without magic, because all his problems are solved.

daisybuchanan's picture
daisybuchanan 13 March, 2016 - 16:31

I think Prospero gives up his magic at the end of the story because he feels it is not needed; when he used his magic on the island it was because he he had no power there, and he and his daughter would probably not have survived without it. But back in Italy, he is safe and has power anyways, so he doesn't feel as if he needs it.

Dugg's picture
Dugg 13 March, 2016 - 15:33

He only used his magic to harm Antonio after his betrayal. When Prospero forgives Antonio and no longer seek to harm him, he no longer needs his magic.i also belive that his Magic was such a dark part of him so when he returns to Milan he hopes to be good, be good without his magic.

Paula2205's picture
Paula2205 13 March, 2016 - 13:12

When starting a new chapter of your life, one often gives up materialistic (or other) things to help with the new mindset. What Prospero deciderad to give up is his magic. That is very understandiable to me, since he doesn't want to focus anymore on the 12 years he spent on the island, but on his better life waiting for him in Milan. Maybe magic would only remind him of that time.