Are you the kind of person that loves studying new grammar rules? Or do you hate doing grammar exercises? Love it or hate it, learning and practising grammar will help you improve your spoken and written English. Using grammar correctly is always very impressive and it's also very useful for passing exams! Here are our top tips for learning grammar:

• Don’t worry about making mistakes. Every time someone corrects you, you learn something new.
  • Do you know which mistakes you make most, and which mistakes are common for speakers of your language? Make a list of your common mistakes and pay special attention to them.
  • Be patient. Maybe you can do the practice exercises, but when you’re speaking you don’t have time to think about the correct grammar. Don’t worry, that’s completely normal! If someone explained to you exactly how to swim, could you just get in the water and swim without practising? Of course not! It’s just the same with grammar. The more you practise, the better you’ll be.
  • Read and listen to English as much as possible. Think about grammar when you’re reading and listening. Do you know why they used that particular structure? Do you notice any differences between your language and English? Noticing which structures are used and knowing what the differences are will you help get English grammar right.
  • Use the Grammar snacks section on LearnEnglish Teens to revise grammar. Watch the videos, read the snack and then do the exercises.
  • Practise, practise, practise! Try to use the new grammar you have learnt immediately.  When you can do the practice exercises, try writing a sentence of your own, and use that grammar next time you’re speaking. This will help you remember new grammar really well. If you register on LearnEnglish Teens you can write comments on the site and put your English into practice every day by communicating with other users and our team of moderators.

Have you got any tips for learning new grammar?

Comments

Safa's picture
Safa 30 August, 2017 - 00:46

Hello,
I am a new student on learn English teens website and I hope from my heart to be an English speaker ,writer as the same as my mother language ,because it is the most used language all over the world .
For me the hardest part in English language learning is pronoucation and spelling , due to needing of practice with native English speakers by practicing real life ,in other words to live in Britain as an example .
The secret of secrets in learning any nonnative language is the practiccing of what you have learned directly in life by speaking confidently .
In the end , the language is an article to achieve a goal and my goal is the collection of knowledge and culture in different languages and the recognition of literature and art to reflect this knowledge on my life happiness and ability to delight people . Bey!!!.

Emmobe's picture
Emmobe 10 October, 2016 - 15:27

I think that you should not worry about making mistakes. You know, it happens but then you learn and the next time you got it.

farzam's picture
2009x
farzam 21 September, 2016 - 16:36

Hi guys!
Here is the best and almost complete way for those who're enthusiasts or eager of learning english language, thanks from staffs and moderators of learnenglish british council that they offer for us like this best program ...

farzam's picture
2009x
farzam 19 October, 2016 - 22:08

Hi dear Jonathan .Your welcome, actually i did not understand what do mean with do you like most? If you mean that do you like most to learn through L.E:B.C or another site its quit yes, i like most.
Wish you the best.

farzam's picture
2009x
farzam 20 October, 2016 - 21:24

Hi Jonathan.
Actually i have not seen speaking skills practice , it looks so good and thanks from your cooperation i will start to work with it .

Lazyboy's picture
Lazyboy 20 April, 2017 - 10:47

Why haven't you used article the before newest section, Mr. Jonathan? Could you explain, please.

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 20 April, 2017 - 11:36

Hi Lazyboy. It's because of the word "our". Articles (a / an / the) are used before a noun phrase ("newest section"), but some other words can be used instead. These include:

• possessive adjectives (e.g. my, your, our)
  • demonstrative adjectives (e.g. this, that)

There are others too. All of these words are called determiners and you can find a more detailed list and explanation on our LearnEnglish page for adults.

In this case, I wanted to emphasise that it is a section on our website, so I wrote "our newest section". Does that make sense? :)

Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Jonathan - Coordinator's picture
Jonathan - Coor... 22 September, 2016 - 04:46

Hi farzam. Thanks for your kind comment :) Which pages and sections do you like most?
Jonathan (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

Poli_drvar137's picture
Poli_drvar137 27 July, 2016 - 15:15

Hi, guys! I'm new member. I have problem with vocabulary, but I think that I'm good in grammar. What do you mean, how can I learn it better? Bye! :)

viendongthap123's picture
viendongthap123 8 July, 2016 - 16:14

Thank you for lesson. I will remember it and try to my study. I want to become a good student and speak english very well.

Ellie's picture
Ellie 30 October, 2015 - 17:09

I have been reading in English for 2 years, several hours a day. It indeed helped! My vocabulary and grammar are much better now. I almost don't make mistakes while speaking. You just should read something you really like and enjoy, and not because you must do it.

TurquoiseAoi's picture
TurquoiseAoi 23 September, 2015 - 14:48

Actually I love English a lot, I watch English videos and pod-casts, practice vocabulary, read stories, communicate with friends, and read English blogs. But I have a problem with grammar, it's the reason why I lose lots of marks on quizzes. I CAN make sentences that are understood. My problem is in things like Modal Verbs and when we have to use certain structures in English, when to use at last or finally...etc. I tried the Phrasal verbs videos on this website but I still fail. :(

123Sasha456's picture
123Sasha456 6 September, 2015 - 20:17

When I finished grammar tests I always pay attention to my mistakes then I write out them on a piece of paper and look at them every day.
I also try to read English books and watch English films more.

KseniaT's picture
KseniaT 6 September, 2015 - 19:21

Hi! I always do English tests.I don't worry about making mistakes.If you want to perfect your grammar,you should do more exercises.
Practice,practice and practice!

anna_m's picture
anna_m 6 September, 2015 - 15:31

I have never worried about mistakes because I think it is stupid.But nevertheless I pay attention to them and know what I must correct.

Veron's picture
Veron 5 September, 2015 - 10:06

I don't worry about making mistakes. Instead, I give them special attention. Also I listen to English as much as possible, for example in movies or in music.

colorfulife's picture
colorfulife 4 September, 2015 - 17:28

I just can't imagine my life without music and it's great tip to learn English. Also I've reading English texts earlier but it was not so interesting and fun than listening favor ite music!)

littlemon's picture
littlemon 4 September, 2015 - 17:21

I always try to notice all of my grammar mistakes and make a list to give them special attention.
This tips are brilliant!

ATATURK's picture
ATATURK 12 May, 2014 - 16:17

If I want to learn a new grammar subject i read the rules and try to remember them. After that i make some practice and visit the British Council :DDD

beatiful's picture
beatiful 17 January, 2014 - 14:35

My English teacher help me, reading text and learn new words....
I love lissen to music English languange ,because I learn new words..