Do you remember the 2012 London Olympics? Check out this blogger's memories of a wonderful summer of sport in the capital.

Reading text

An Olympic blog

What an Olympics!

Posted by Helen Nolan on 10 September, 2012 at 21:25

It’s all over! I’ve been writing my blog from London every day during the Olympics and the Paralympics and this is my final post to look back on a wonderful couple of months. Here are some of the things that were the most memorable for me:

The Opening Ceremony

This set the scene for the Games with an amazing show featuring music, dancing, historical figures, fireworks and British humour. A huge number of volunteers practised for months to make everything perfect. The best moment was when the old lady in Buckingham Palace turned round and showed that she was neither a lookalike nor an actor but Her Majesty the Queen. The next best bit was when she jumped out of a helicopter with James Bond (although I think that actually was an actor!).

Team GB

I was very proud of our team as we kept on winning medals and finished in third position in the medal table, which is truly a great result for Great Britain. There were so many incredible sportsmen and women. The ones that stand out for me are Mo Farah, the Somalian-born Londoner who won the 10,000 and 5,000 metres with the whole stadium going crazy, Jessica Ennis, the popular super-athlete from Sheffield who won the heptathlon, and Nicola Adams who won the first female boxing medal in Olympic history for Britain.

The Olympic Stadium crowd

Although the crowd cheered on the British, there was lots of support for athletes of other nationalities too like the wonderful Usain Bolt, from Jamaica, who won the 100 and 200 metres sprint to become the fastest man alive. There was also Oscar Pistorius of South Africa who was the first disabled person to compete in the Olympics. He went on to win two gold medals and a silver in the Paralympics.

New sports

I have really enjoyed being able to watch sports which are not normally shown on television. Before the Olympics I didn’t expect to love watching judo or find myself screaming at the television during a game of wheelchair tennis, but I really got into them. I didn’t know anything about goalball before the Paralympics but it became one of my favourite sports.

The organisation and the atmosphere

It took seven years of planning and 70,000 volunteers to make everything go well. Many people have said that the organisation was not as perfect as that of the Beijing Games, but there was a much better atmosphere which spread out through the whole city. The volunteers were always friendly and helpful and Londoners even began talking to each other, and visitors, on the underground trains!

What are your memories of the London Olympics 2012? Did your country win many medals?

Comments

Isabelmagn20043's picture
Isabelmagn20043 11 July, 2018 - 18:12

i don't know. in 2012 i was 7 years old and the games was transmited in the morning for my country (colombia). I had to study in the morning so i couldn't watch it.

petrichorr's picture
petrichorr 15 March, 2018 - 20:11

Actually I didn't watch London Olympics 2012. But I've heard about that too much things. Then, did my country win any medals? Yes, my country won 2 gold, 1 bronze and 2 silver madals. (Actually I searched it a few minutes ago :p but I'm proud of these informations.)

D4niel's picture
D4niel 12 October, 2017 - 14:26

I still remember about the 2012 Olympics and watching it on Television... My country won a lot of medals but... well... it was a dream... (It was a shame I woke up...)

Mimiserma's picture
Mimiserma 5 September, 2017 - 23:28

My country's participation in the London Olympic Games was historic for the first time the country got medals in archery and football.

huyenngocphan226's picture
huyenngocphan226 6 August, 2017 - 05:11

Although our country only won two bronze medals, we will try harder in the 2020 summer Olympics in tokyo.

Eman_'s picture
Eman_ 27 June, 2017 - 04:03

I don't remember much about the Olympic games 2012 but my country didn't win any medals.

Seba9441's picture
Seba9441 6 June, 2017 - 10:38

And yes! My country won some medals. 2 gold medals, 4 silver medals and 3 bronze medals.

Seba9441's picture
Seba9441 6 June, 2017 - 10:35

I don't remember that much of the olympics. I was 9 at the time. The only thing I remember is that my mom and I traveled to London a week before the olympics. I also remember standing beside the countdown clock in Trafalgar Square.

SLMT's picture
SLMT 19 May, 2017 - 10:48

2008 is the year I started to like watching Olympic exictedly .Olympic is held in Beijin in 2008. I watched all kind of sports from morning to night.Among all of them, Tennis is my favourite sports.I am a big fan of Roger Federer. But he ended in quarterfinal in2008 Beijin Olympic .But I really got a happy moment bcoz of Olympic.

Cirrus14's picture
Cirrus14 27 April, 2017 - 19:22

The Olympic games always are the best of the human opportunity to share with others. I love to watch some sports. I specialy enjoy the water sports and saloon sports.

sanchez18's picture
sanchez18 7 April, 2017 - 22:15

i don't remember a lot of the London Olympics 2012, just how many medasl won the american swimer Michael

BRPCuzcoJaime's picture
BRPCuzcoJaime 8 February, 2017 - 01:23

I did not watch the Olympic Games in London 2012 :(
I would not know how to answer questions about the topic. But my country in the last Olympic Games got some medals. I do not know the categories, but you won :D

BRPAriasJuan's picture
BRPAriasJuan 8 February, 2017 - 01:07

I do not remember much because I was a child and I did not care much and my country doesnt win medals

BRPCAIZA's picture
BRPCAIZA 8 February, 2017 - 00:47

I'm not sure, because I didn't see those Olympic games on TV, but I remember that I did hear to my parents talk about Alex Quiñones. This athlete was in the final of the 200 meters flat. He ran with Usain Bolt, but Usain was the champion in that discipline

BRPCELORIOCARLOS1's picture
BRPCELORIOCARLOS1 8 February, 2017 - 00:25

Mmmm I don't remember about London Olympics, because I don´t like this sports, and I know that my country Ecuador didn't win a medall.

BRPMontenegro's picture
BRPMontenegro 7 February, 2017 - 23:56

My country didn't win medals in London 2012 but, had a good participation in weigth and 100 meters sprint. Alex Quiñonez got an eighth place in the world in 100 meters sprint and Alexandra Escobar got an eighth place in weight. Ecuador participated in other disciplines but didn't win nothing.

BRPErickPico's picture
BRPErickPico 7 February, 2017 - 22:34

Yes but the truth is very little. But those games were very interesting. And not my country I do not win many medals

BRPSanchezAnderson's picture
BRPSanchezAnderson 7 February, 2017 - 20:25

i remember that some Ecuadorians won gold medals. The most representative athlete is Alex Quiñonez that reached the final of the 200 meter race. In other disciplines Ecuador was determinant and received gold medals.

BRPACEBOGEORGY's picture
BRPACEBOGEORGY 7 February, 2017 - 19:59

I do not remember the London Olympics 2012. But they played 36 athletes in eleven different sports disciplines. What is referring to the medals Ecuador does not gain any megalla of gold, silver or bronze in these Olympic games.

amarti's picture
amarti 24 October, 2016 - 19:34

I didn't see Olympics on Tv the lasts years. I remember I was in Mallorca on holidays and Spain wone several medals. It was ok for my country.