The _____ was very nervous. (sing)
You have to complete the sentence with the person noun (singer). You change the verb (sing) into the person noun (singer).
- Look at the word you have to change. Which words do you know that are in the same word family?
- The beginning of the word is often the same and the end of the word changes.
- What form is the new word? A verb? A noun? An adjective? An adverb?
- Nouns often end: -ment, -ion, -ness, -ity.
- People nouns often end: -er, -or, -ist, -ian.
- Adjectives often end: -able, -ible, -ive, -al, -ic, -ed, -ing.
- Some verbs end: -ise, -ate, -en.
- Adverbs often end: -ly.
- When you record vocabulary make a table with word families.
- If you don’t know the new word, guess. You may be right!
- Check your answers carefully when you finish.
Do you find word building exercises easy or difficult?