Sophie has just arrived home after a work trip to the United States which turned into a nightmare.

Some verbs are irregular. Their past forms do not end in -ed.

So how do I know which verbs are regular and which are irregular?

You have to learn them!

Learn them from the list? Oh no!

It's not so bad. There aren't really so many verbs to learn and remember that English is much easier than many languages. The past forms don't change.

I took a taxi to the airport. (take → took)
That was when we spoke. (speak → spoke)
One person gave me his last bar of chocolate. (give → gave)

I see what you mean. I made, you made, he made, she made, it made, we made, they made!

Exactly! They're all the same. And the negatives are all formed with did + not + the infinitive without to. The question forms are very similar: did + subject pronoun + the infinitive without to.

What did you do all day in the airport?
Did you have enough food?
We didn't think you would get home in time for your birthday.

OK, you're right, that's not too bad. Are there any exceptions?

Yes the verb to be. The past form is was for I, he, she and it, but were for you, we and they.

It was horrible not being able to phone you two!
There wasn't any food. I was so hungry!
We were stuck in the airport.

So what about this verb list?

Right, here it is!

Present Past Simple Present Past Simple
be was / were begin began
break broke bring brought
steal stole swim swam
take took teach taught
tell told think thought
understand understood wake woke
wear wore win won
write wrote

Wow! OK, so how do I learn these verbs?

There are lots of things you can try:

• Make cards to test yourself – put the infinitive on one side and the past on the other.
  • Write sentences with different verbs in them. Include some negatives.
  • Make up stories and record yourself. The story could just be about what you did last weekend.
  • Do practice activities online. You can start by doing the ones below on this page!

OK, I'm going to start learning them now!

Have you ever been stuck in some terrible weather?

Comments

BttChiara's picture
BttChiara 20 March, 2020 - 15:50

No, I haven’t but my friends were stuck in the airport for snow storm during the Christmas holiday. It was really scary...

gattifederica's picture
gattifederica 20 March, 2020 - 14:55

No. I haven’t. However 8 years ago, I went to my grandparents’ house. This day was very rainy. When I was in the lift, the power went out and I my mum where stucked inside. Then, the firefighters arrived and we went out from the lift.

Naogiosu7's picture
Naogiosu7 20 March, 2020 - 14:16

Yes when we were returning from Romania with my parentele tok a very powerful storm. And de started to stop

rrfalletto's picture
rrfalletto 20 March, 2020 - 13:27

Yes, once I was returning from the sea and a very bad storm arrived. I was wet and the new day i was sick

Carolina000's picture
Carolina000 20 March, 2020 - 13:22

Yes, I remember when two years ago I went camping with my family and a bad storm forced us to look for a hotel in which to spend the night so as not to get wet. The following day we managed to return to the campsite.

beasam0109's picture
beasam0109 20 March, 2020 - 11:41

No I haven't but a few years ago when back from the beach the wind rose, it was cold, the sea swelled and many beach umbrellas flew away, on that occasion I was afraid.

JasmineD03's picture
JasmineD03 20 March, 2020 - 11:20

No, I've never been stuck in a terrible weather and I hope it never happens to me. But once I was coming home from school and a very bad storm broke with hail and went home all wet. That's why I stayed at home for a week since I had a very high fever.

Desy's picture
Desy 20 March, 2020 - 10:55

Yes, I been stuck in some terrible weather about 5 years ago. I was in holiday in Pescara when one day My family and I were at the beach and suddenly there was a heavy rain so we ran fast and finally we was arrived at home wet!

MatildePace's picture
MatildePace 19 March, 2020 - 10:15

No, I've never been stuck in a horrible time and I hope it never happens to me. But once I was leaving school and there was a strong strom, my backpack got wet. It was really harmful. However, I managed to do everything.

giorgia_marchetti's picture
giorgia_marchetti 20 March, 2020 - 14:36

No, i have never been stuck in a horrible time. But once after school there was a strong storm and i forgot my umbrella at home,for this reason my schoolbag took many rain water and olso my school book

Youjiro's picture
Youjiro 31 January, 2019 - 13:21

I remember last year I went to mountain with friends to see top of view .We started climbing the mountain at Saturday morning with some food and water.On the way we stuck in strong tyhpoon. It was dangerous for us .We stopped climbing the mountain on the way.I went to cottage .We spend few hour .after that typhoon was gone .We continued climbing the mountain.

Batgirl's picture
Batgirl 2 February, 2018 - 16:08

One time when I and my family had to go on a skiing holiday, the weather that bad plains couldn't fly anywhere. So we had to wait few days until the snow melts...

pparedes984's picture
pparedes984 3 January, 2017 - 03:49

I only been stuckk on rain, One day my friends and I went to buy some stuffs for a project when we came back to my home a terrible rain fall in the city and we didn't have money for thata reason we had to came back walking and we got wet and we had a flew for a few days but it was very funny

VShirleyCh's picture
VShirleyCh 2 January, 2017 - 15:39

The truth that I live in a country that does not have the four seasons, ie no snow falls in my country, neither makes cold nor very great storms, although in the province that I live is too cold and almost always rains, then the climates in which I always get caught in the rain, and it rains a lot all day, so I'm almost always trapped in a bad weather hahaha, although it is not so much like in other countries that terrible storms, that destroy houses or flood places. And for that I am very grateful.

AlanIgnacio19's picture
AlanIgnacio19 23 August, 2016 - 20:48

This is reallt helpful, I think I know everything now for so far, that you very much it was really helpful! Great website!

shamim's picture
shamim 5 August, 2016 - 19:42

I remember when I was a kid, we went to trip (my family and me) we started our trip at early morning...on the way we stuck in morning fog...It was terrible!!! my dad was driving but he couldn't see the front!!! he stopped the car on the roadside, we stayed there for a few hours...when fog disappeared, we continued our trip.

englishmeow's picture
englishmeow 7 June, 2016 - 23:31

I once had a flight from Hong Kong to Chicago and there was a typhoon. Our flight was delayed 5 hours and we had a 3 hour ground stop. Many people were stuck at the airport.