Oliver and Alfie both love watching cooking programmes on TV. Just for fun, they are preparing to have their own ‘Master Chef’ competition at home.

Have got (have/has + got) is used to talk mainly about possessions or personal attributes.

Give me some examples, please.

Certainly, here you are:

I've got a new computer.
They haven't got any red chilli peppers.
She's got long, brown hair.
He hasn't got many friends.

So the negative is have/has + not + got?

Yes, but don't forget the contraction.

Daisy hasn't got her books yet.
You haven't got 50 p, have you?

Is has got only used for things?

No, it's also used for timetabled events or illnesses.

I've got swimming practice at seven.
Fred's got a terrible cold.

You can use have got for abstract things too.

I've got an idea for the weekend.
I've got all the inspiration I need ... up here!

Can I use have got in the past? For example: I had got a racing bicycle when I was younger.

No, it's only used in the present tense. For the past you use had without got.

I had a racing bicycle.

What about the question form?

You use have/has + subject + got.

Have you got everything you need?
Have we got any red chilli peppers at home?
Have you got a minute?

Hang on a minute, I've heard Do you have … ? a lot too.

Yes, have got is more used in British English and have is more American. The question and negative form is different with have – you need to use the auxiliary do/does.

I have two sisters. (American English)
Do you have change for ten dollars? (American English)
He doesn't have a clue about soccer. (American English)

You will hear British people use have as well as have got.

Anything else I should know?

In British English we use have got more in speaking and have more in writing – it's a little more formal.

OK, I've got it now!

Very clever! Yes, you can also use have got to mean 'understand'.

Have you got any good ideas about how to improve your English grammar? Share your ideas here.

Comments

beasam0109's picture
beasam0109 20 March, 2020 - 11:18

no I haven't got ideas to improve my English, but I think reading books, listening to songs and watching films in the original language can help me

JasmineD03's picture
JasmineD03 20 March, 2020 - 10:53

Yes, for better my english grammar I should read and watch many books and films in english or speak a lot in english so I can improve my pronunciation. But in my opinion the best method is to go to England in order to really speak English with people who are native speakers.

Desy's picture
Desy 19 March, 2020 - 18:13

Yes, I have some ideas how to improve my English; for example listening and repeating a lot and doing some comprehension of the texts

MatildePace's picture
MatildePace 18 March, 2020 - 18:09

No I haven't got ideas for improve English grammar. Maybe when I know English well I will have ideas.

_auro_'s picture
_auro_ 20 March, 2020 - 14:40

I have no ideas on how to improve grammar, but to improve vocabulary or conversations I think the only way is to travel.

Rohan26's picture
Rohan26 7 August, 2019 - 16:57

yes i have got an idea to improve my English grammar,read all the topic and do all the exercises provided by British council.com and practice it.

empty's picture
empty 17 June, 2019 - 07:25

Have you got any good ideas about how to improve your English grammar? Watching movies in English , doing grammar exercises and using this website of course .

thyngoc1985's picture
thyngoc1985 9 March, 2019 - 11:00

Please help me.
Rewrite using conditional sentence type 3.
Nick can't find the way because he hasn't got a map.
1. If Nick had got a map, he could find the way.
2. If Nick had a map, he could find the way.
I am so confused. Which one is correct? And "have got" (he hasn't got a map) is present perfect, isn't it?
I'm looking forward to your answers. Thank you.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 9 March, 2019 - 18:53

Hi thyngoc1985,

You're right that have got looks like the present perfect. But in this context (possession of something), it's present tense, and means the same as have - you can say Nick hasn't got a map or Nick doesn't have a map and they both mean the same thing.

But have got can't be used like this in the past - have a look at the page above. That's why for your example, option 2 is the best way of rewriting it as a conditional sentence.

Hope that helps!

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

Alux's picture
Alux 14 February, 2019 - 00:57

Hi, is HAVE GOT (I’ve got a pen) used for possetion a form of present perfect even if it is used to express present tense? Or is it seen as a totally separate grammartical aspect?

JoModerator's picture
JoModerator 14 February, 2019 - 16:41

Hi Alux,

Thanks for your post, that's a good question. 'Have got' isn't the present perfect form of 'get'.

We can only use it in the present tense.   'Have got' is mainly used to talk about possessions and characteristics. For example 'I've got long hair'.

If you want to use it in the present perfect tense, you take away 'got'. For example:

'I've never had long hair.'

I hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

Youjiro's picture
Youjiro 30 January, 2019 - 10:50

I haven't got any idea to improve English skill.I just continue reading article or conversation with English learner.Speaking English and writing English are most essential skill . Every English learner say you should to continue speaking English.My mother language is Japanese.It differ to English . I study grammar 3 time of a week,but still not good . My goal is to become a fluent speaker and join in american college to learn computer science.

KemoF's picture
KemoF 27 August, 2018 - 14:26

I'm just wondering how often British people say "Do you have...?" instead of "Have you got...?". Rarely? Seldom?
When a British meets an American, will they talk like this??
"Have you got a light?" --"Yes, I do."
Is this grammatically correct?
Can anyone tell me?

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20509x
Tina - Coordinator 28 August, 2018 - 08:55

Hi KemoF,
'Do you have ...?' and 'Have you got ...?' are basically the same but 'Have you got ...?' is more informal and perhaps spoken more but you can use both of these phrases.
If you ask a question using 'Have you got ...? then you would reply 'Yes, I have or No, I haven't'.
Regards, Tina (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

KemoF's picture
KemoF 28 August, 2018 - 14:45

Hi Tina,
Thank you for your kind answer! I got it!
By the way, it's interesting to know that 'Have you got...?' is more informal. I thought 'Do you...?' sounded more informal, besides, it's shorter, though... :)

Pippatwo's picture
Pippatwo 8 June, 2018 - 18:38

Some of my favorite pastimes for practicing have got to be watching English movies and Youtube channels, apart from this of course. Then I practice common words or phrases that are in them.