Oliver, Daisy and Alfie are at Oliver and Daisy's home. Oliver is upset, so Daisy and Alfie decide to cheer him up.

After certain verbs we use the -ing form, and after other verbs we use the infinitive. Sometimes we can use either form and there is no change in meaning. Occasionally we can use either form and there is a change in meaning.

So what’s the rule for whether we use the -ing form or the infinitive?

Sorry, there isn’t a rule. You have to learn which verbs go with which pattern.

The verbs followed by  -ing include enjoy, mind, stop and recommend.

I told him you really enjoy cooking.
Would you mind helping me?
It didn't stop raining all day yesterday.
Daisy recommends trying Alfie’s tiramisu.

The negative is verb + not + -ing.

Imagine not having pizza! I eat it all the time.

Verbs usually followed by -ing

stop     finish     imagine     suggest     recommend      avoid      mind      miss      risk      enjoy

I thought you could say: 'I recommend that you see that film'?

Yes, you’re right, you can. But we’re not looking at the more complex patterns with that or an object today.

OK, what about the verbs followed by the infinitive?

These include decide, want, promise, plan and forget.

She decided to go with Elliot instead.
I wanted to visit Rome.
She promised to take me there.
I planned to go to some real Italian restaurants.
She didn’t forget to phone.

The negative is verb + not + infinitive.

They decided not to make pizza.

Here are more verbs  that are usually followed by the infinitive:

hope     offer     fail     agree     forget     manage     learn     afford     arrange     ask     expect     would like     decide     plan     promise     want     invite

What about the verbs that can be followed by either form?

These include   start  ,  begin , continue and bo th er.

It started raining. or  It started to rain.
Don’t bother waiting for me.
or  Don’t bother to wait for me.

The verbs like, love and hate can be followed by -ing or the infinitive when talking about repeated actions.

I love reading long novels.   (British English or American English)
I love to read long novels.    (American English)

But when we are talking about situations, we use the -ing form.

Paulo loves living by the beach in Rio.
Do you like working as a waitress?

So, 'I love learning grammar rules' or 'I love to learn grammar rules' are both OK?

Exactly. But there are some more verbs which can be followed by -ing or the infinitive, but the two options have different meanings, for example remember and stop.

I never remember to lock the door, and my mum gets really angry!
     (remember + infinitive =
remember something and then do it)
I never remember locking the door, but when I go back and check I always have.
     (remember + -ing =
remember something you did before)

She stopped smoking three years ago.
     (stop + -ing =
to not do something any more)
It was hot, so we stopped to have a drink.   (we stopped walking)
     (stop + infinitive =
to not do something in order to do something else)

Let’s stop to have a rest now.

OK, later on you can try to remember all the patterns.

Think about your week. What do you enjoy doing? What do you not mind doing? And what do you avoid doing if possible?

Comments

cherry00's picture
cherry00 30 July, 2022 - 12:12

I love listening to music and meeting my friend. I don't mind going to school and I avoid doing the vacuuming and doing my homework.

Ostapuser2021's picture
Ostapuser2021 19 December, 2021 - 19:26

You’ve received a letter from your friend in which he/she
• asks you to tell about some online safety tips and what they mean
• wants to know which of them is the most important for you and why
• is interested in any web site where it is possible to get to know about these tips and practice English for teens

Juana_Valerio's picture
Juana_Valerio 29 November, 2021 - 15:37

The activities of this topic allowed me to better understand the topic and that is very fun because they are very fun and interesting activities 5ºA T-LOG

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 24 March, 2021 - 20:56

During my week I realy enjoy listening to music, playing football with my brothers, I like very much waching movies.... I don't mind waking up early, it is a quite beautiful time, and is very silent to, I don't mind studying, doing homework, because it is kind of important for my future. But what I avoid with all my heart is washing the dishes, I don't really like it.

Cfvdv's picture
Cfvdv 24 March, 2021 - 20:50

What I enjoy doing in my week is watching television and playing football with my brothers. I don´t mind doing homework. And I avoid when I can waking up early if it´s possible.

Didik's picture
Didik 16 March, 2021 - 19:39

I realy enjoy doing barbecue, this is what we do on sundays and I love it! I don´t like wakeing up early and that is what I´d like to avoid when I can. During the weak my brothers want me to play football every day with them, and I don´t mind about that.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 24 January, 2021 - 07:40

I really enjoy doing my homeworks and studying. I don't even know why, I can really love homeworks sometime :D
I avoid going out of my house.

Luna's picture
Luna 28 August, 2020 - 09:02

I enjoy listen to music, I going to cinema, I watching anime ( special is one piece).
I don't mind washing the dishes

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 1 August, 2020 - 05:39

I enjoy to go to British Council! There aren't particular activities I enjoy at weekend, but I go to BC every saturdays. But today is the last time of this term, so I feel sort of sad. And my school's vacation is just around the corner too! And the matter is I LOVE going to school! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sherry4869's picture
Sherry4869 17 May, 2020 - 15:46

I love to go picnic, camping, swimming , barbeque. I don't mind going to the cinema and concert. I avoid going noisy and crowded place.

bea_mara's picture
bea_mara 5 April, 2020 - 22:07

During my week I didn't do many things. What I like most is to go to training and obviously go out with my friends, but I also like to fix my room. I don't mind studying, while the things I hate to do is wake up early in the morning to go to school and make the bed.

giorgia_marchetti's picture
giorgia_marchetti 6 May, 2020 - 09:42

During my week I do many things. I enjoy go to dance and Meet my friends. I don’t mind go to school but i hate wake up early.

BttChiara's picture
BttChiara 2 April, 2020 - 20:37

I enjoy chatting with my friends, I don't mind doing my homework but I avoid, if possible, playing the guitar.

MatildePace's picture
MatildePace 2 April, 2020 - 15:42

I enjoy drawing, listening to music, cooking, sleeping and reading. I not mind doing clear my room. If possible I avoid doing set the table.

Desy's picture
Desy 1 April, 2020 - 20:25

I enjoy listen to music, cook a lot of cakes, watch films and TV series and read book. I don't mind play with my brother, create new recipes of cakes and do science experiment with my brother. If possible I avoid clear the table, wash the dishes and make my bed.

gattifederica's picture
gattifederica 31 March, 2020 - 17:35

I enjoy listening to music, watching TV series and films and cooking cakes and muffins. I don’t mind learning new recipes and cooking for my family. If possible I avoid washing the dishes and cleaning the bathrooms.

MythTW's picture
MythTW 21 July, 2019 - 11:17

Hello LearnEnglish Team,

The following 2 sentences

All we can do is trying our best.
All we can do is try our best.

Which one is correct? Or both are correct but carry different meanings?

Thanks, James

Tina - Coordinator's picture
20508x
Tina - Coordinator 22 July, 2019 - 10:34

Hi James (MythTw)
Your second sentence is correct.
- All we can do is try our best.
Best wishes,
Tina (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

helloman's picture
helloman 14 May, 2019 - 16:22

Which one is correct?
He left the room without .....
1. explaining
2. explanation
Plz help us.

JoModerator's picture
JoModerator 15 May, 2019 - 08:25

Hi helloman,

They are both correct!

Sentence 1 has a preposition (without) followed by verb+ing.

Sentence 2 has a preposition (without) followed by a noun.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes

Jo (LearnEnglish Teens team)

smiley_jp's picture
smiley_jp 5 April, 2019 - 03:39

Which one is correct?
1) Where did you learn to speak Japanese? or Where did you learn speaking Japanese?
2) She waited to see what would happen next. or She waited seeing what would happened next.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 5 April, 2019 - 13:26

Hi smiley_jp,

In both cases, the first option is correct. The verbs learn and wait are both usually followed by the infinitive.

Hope that helps!