Leaving your family home to go to university is not always easy. Read the advice from a first-year student and her dad to get two points of view on the experience.

Reading

Leaving home

Going away to university is always a tricky time, both for the students who are leaving home and their parents who are staying behind. We got advice on how to cope from a student daughter and her dad.

A daughter’s advice to parents, by Kerry Price

My parents drove me to uni at the beginning of the first term. That was great, but then they hung around, so it was hard to chat to the people in the rooms near mine. It’s best if you leave us to unpack ourselves.

Don’t ask us to come home during term time. There’s a lot going on at weekends, there just isn’t time.

Get another interest or a pet if you feel lonely without us. Don’t make us feel guilty about leaving home!

It is quite interesting to hear about your experiences at uni, but remember that it was a LONG time ago so don’t go on about it so much. Things have changed a lot. Now we have a lot more debt and it’ll be harder to find a job in the future.

Please don’t check up on us or our friends on Facebook. I know it’s a public site, but we have the right to some privacy.

Don’t change anything in our bedrooms. We have only half left home - we’ll be back in the holidays, so please don’t touch anything.

We’d still like to come on family holidays with you. Don’t forget to include us just because we’re not there all the time.

A father’s advice to students, by Stuart Price

Don’t complain so much about how much work you have to do. We work a lot too. You’re an adult now, get used to it.

Put up with the fact that we refused to get a dog while you were at home, then suddenly bought one as soon as you moved out. We miss you!

Just because you’re at university studying very complex subjects, it doesn’t mean that you’re more intelligent than everybody else. Don’t treat your family as if they were stupid; we’re really not.

Let us come and visit you now and again. We promise to try not to embarrass you in front of your friends. We just want to see you for a short time and take you out for a meal.

Don’t waste so much time on Facebook. You need time for all that work you have to do, remember?

We might make a few changes to your room, so deal with it. It’s great to have a guest room at last, but we won’t change things too much, promise.

Don’t forget to call home from time to time and don’t get annoyed if we phone you. It’s not pestering. If we didn’t call, you wouldn’t know that we care.

Are you looking forward to leaving home? Why or why not?

Comments

Ngocthao60nna10's picture
Ngocthao60nna10 28 June, 2020 - 17:59

I'm looking forward to leaving home because I can improve my life skills, for example my sloving problems skills.I will become more independent and know how to save money. I also feel like I am an adult.

_nguyenthanhtom's picture
_nguyenthanhtom 22 June, 2020 - 03:58

I agree you that leaving home is a big step in our life because we begin to be adults with many responsibilities. Leaving home is a big challenge for children and parents because we have to face to many difficulties but it will be a great experience. For me,leaving home make me be mature, I can deal with problems in real life and solve them by myself.

LinhNguyen_2208's picture
LinhNguyen_2208 21 June, 2020 - 13:18

To me, I think I am not looking forward to leaving home because I'm afraid of homesick. I and my family are extremely close-knit so I don't wanna leave my home. On the other hand, if I have to leave my home perhaps for serving my jobs or getting married far away from home, I think I still accept and think more positively. Maybe leaving home makes me more independent and stronger.

Yennhi's picture
Yennhi 21 June, 2020 - 04:27

Right now I'm living far away from home. I have my dream pursuit, I wanna get a good job in the future, so I have to effort from now. And I think independent is really important in life for an adult, you can learn to be more responsible and to value the things you get. So I believe leaving home is not bad.

Kimthoa172's picture
Kimthoa172 19 June, 2020 - 07:46

Personally I think leaving home to go to the university will be a good opportunity for us to experience and learn many useful skills from our lives. Although sometimes I miss my family a lot, I always try my best to develop my future!!!

thuchien's picture
thuchien 18 June, 2020 - 02:14

I'm looking forward to leaving home as I not only feel comfortable but also improve my life skills, for example my decision-making skills. I also feel like I am an adult. Furthermore, leaving home helps me independent, although at first I would get some troubles about finance.

s1rko's picture
s1rko 24 May, 2020 - 17:39

I don't care, I will feel in the new place almost the same as at home. Of course, after a long time I will start to miss home. The main thing in the new place is to find friends so that it was not so difficult to live. At least once a day to call parents so that they do not worry. And wait for the holidays to come home.

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 13 April, 2020 - 08:43

Nope, I don't looking foward to leave my home fo university. I've never been aparted and devided from my parents. Even I'm not going any academies. And I feel scared and very uncomfortable when I am alone in my house or somewhere. I feel like my parents will abandon me. So, I don't want to leave my home and live departed with my parents. And when I grow up in the future,if I have to leave them, I'll NEVER forget my parents and be rude to my parents. Because they are very special people for me, like give me a birth and grow me up. I 'll always thankful to them and always don't forget the parent's day. they are mercyful and glorious. They are worth to have this attitudes.

Elife's picture
Elife 14 February, 2020 - 23:59

Yes, in my opinion, independence is very important in the life of a teenager, because you learn to be more responsible for yourself, and to value the things you get.

Tamaldemole's picture
Tamaldemole 13 February, 2020 - 18:21

I live in my own house, I have an equally own room, I have a bed and a bathroom for my needs and I have a patio

Dannyrdz89's picture
Dannyrdz89 21 November, 2019 - 17:11

i think that the parents are misssing they daugther and the girl wants to have some privacy, and other thing the girl is growing up and also is a thing of mature and becoming a woman.

KeylaVazquez's picture
KeylaVazquez 24 September, 2019 - 03:37

Like all people, I will leave my home one day with the certainty that I will miss my family. Besides that, I know that it will be a great challenge since I am not used to stay away from my comfort zone, live without my parents,take care of payments and mantain a house. Certainly, it will not be easy for my parents or me, but I am sure that we will know how to deal with that.

A01285136's picture
A01285136 9 October, 2019 - 16:53

You have a very good comment I think the same as you, soon we will have to leave our home and that will be very difficult but it is something we have to do, and if it will be difficult but you will get used.

a01284478's picture
a01284478 24 September, 2019 - 02:30

It makes me a good idea to leave home but not at an early age this would be in about 6 more years since not all people can live and stay alone

regis's picture
regis 24 September, 2019 - 01:49

At the moment not because I am not of legal age and I still need the help of my parents. But in the future, when I finish my career, I would like to get married and have children, therefore, I would also like to be independent and have my own home.

A01285124's picture
A01285124 26 September, 2019 - 02:17

I think that you are right, but if you want you could go and see the international programs in the school, maybe you get interested and you could meet new friends and new experiences.

A01282744's picture
A01282744 23 September, 2019 - 17:28

For me I left home is a bit difficult since I am very attached to my family but I think it is a very good experience that helps us mature.
-Ale

A01285136's picture
A01285136 23 September, 2019 - 17:27

I think that what they say is very important because when you enroll in a university, you leave your parents aside and start becoming independent and have much more ability to live alone, among other things.

A01285173's picture
A01285173 23 September, 2019 - 17:26

Yes, because I considerate that the independence is very important in a teen life, and when you live home at a adequate age like 18 years old, you can take your own decisions and take the control of your life.

A01284632's picture
A01284632 23 September, 2019 - 17:26

No, because I think that I'll miss all that moments in my house with my family, and I think I want to make more moments but that moments will finish when I leave home.

anapaulamtzg's picture
anapaulamtzg 23 September, 2019 - 17:22

I liked very much the story because it´s exactly what i think that my parents would do if I leave my home to go to university. I understood both postures because is the reality in a lot of cases.

A01285124's picture
A01285124 23 September, 2019 - 17:22

I am not actually looking forward to leave home, but I want to go as an exchange student, for like one year or something like that, then I will come back with my family and study the rest of my university in the place I live. I mean, in high school I am going on winter to a trip with my friends, I like doing little trips so I could learn step by step how to be independent.

a01177960's picture
a01177960 23 September, 2019 - 17:22

I don´t want to leave my home because my parents maintain me and I don´t be ready to leave home, I´m not mature.

A01284720's picture
A01284720 23 September, 2019 - 17:20

I thing the same that Kerry, the university is the perfect time to be independent and responsable because in the future we are going to be adults and we have to be responsable.

A01284753's picture
A01284753 23 September, 2019 - 17:18

I think that on the one hand the girl is fine because if she occupies her privacy and needs her social life, but on the other hand the parents have every right to go to visit their children whenever they want and can.

Roberta's picture
Roberta 26 July, 2019 - 12:15

I think that leaving your home is a really frustrating experience, because it is a big step in the life of every teenager as you have to come out of your own comfort zone. It is exciting and scary at the same time because you will get a lot of free time and a lot of responsibilities such as carry a budget, cook for yourself or buy some useful in household things. I hope I will get used to my own adult's life!

KeylaVazquez's picture
KeylaVazquez 24 September, 2019 - 03:53

I agree with you that leaving home is a big step in our life because we end a phase of our life and begin to be adults with many responsibilities. Also, I think that it is a great experience for children and parents because that will be a change and it will be a new experience for both. On top of that, I think that if the family is together, they will deal with any problem related to it. Finally, it is important to know that no one is born knowing how to be an adult and all people will learn about it. So, I hope to get used to being an adult in the future too.