Daisy, Amy, Oliver and Alfie are planning a weekend at a music festival when Sophie calls from Austria with a great idea.

We use words called conjunctions, like and, or, but, because and although, to join two parts of sentences. Conjunctions can be used to give more information, give alternatives, give reasons, give results or give unexpected information.

We use and, or and but to connect two parts of sentences which are similar in grammatical status.

Do you want chocolate, strawberry or vanilla? (joining words)
Amy's dad is taking us on Saturday morning, and he's offered to bring us home again on Sunday. (joining clauses)

We use and  for adding information, or for giving alternatives and but for unexpected or different information.

I'm OK for food, dance  and  music, and I'm having a wonderful time.
There's a reggae band from Jamaica or a Russian electro-pop group on the other stage.
She’d like to go but she can’t.

Can we use these words at the beginning of a sentence?

We don’t usually use conjunctions to start sentences when we’re writing, but people do when they’re speaking.

Or when they’re chatting on the internet?

Yes. There are a lot more conjunctions which we use to connect one clause with another clause. For example: because, for giving reasons, so, for talking about results or purposes, and although, for unexpected or different information.

I'd like to see that Irish band, because Celtic music is pretty cool.
(the second clause explains the reason Alfie wants to see the Irish band)

Although he doesn’t like camping, he goes to lots of music festivals.
(the speaker thinks it’s unusual to go to music festivals if you don’t like camping)

... we'll be there by 12. Although we have to put up our tents too.
(the information in the second sentence is different to, and contrasts, the information in the first sentence)

It's one of those cars for seven people, so there's plenty of room.
(the second clause shows the result of the first clause)

We need to arrive early so (that) we can get a good place.
(the second clause shows the purpose of the first clause; that is optional)

With that although sentence, can you put the clauses in a different order?

Yes, both orders are possible.

He goes to lots of music festivals, although he doesn’t like camping.

Can you also say “even though he doesn’t like camping”?

Yes, that means the same thing. There are a lot more conjunctions, but that’s enough for today.

But …

No “buts”. It’s better to look at a small amount at a time …

So that I can remember it?

Exactly.

Do you think you would enjoy camping at a music festival? Why? Why not? Tell us what you think!

Comments

Mamou1's picture
Mamou1 27 July, 2021 - 11:20

Yesss probably I will enjoy it. I never did camping before or camping at a music festival so it will be a really big new experience. the fact that i love music and being in a connection with the nature can be all the rason why i wont hesitate to participate. Sincerely I think if you like doing new thing and experience all of emotions you would not hesitate to pack your thing and do some wild adbventure. plus its the opportunities to meet new people. so I have just one thing to say Let's do it!!!!!

liz15's picture
liz15 8 June, 2021 - 23:29

I think that sounds lovely, I will love to do that, I think sounds really exciting, I hope to do that, I never have to camping but I think is a relly good way to spend the time with your friends or your family, eating chips, sandwichez, soda, listening amazing bands, different kind of miusic, and be lying on the grass.

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 10 March, 2021 - 16:45

Yes, I think that I would love it! Because for me that should be a whole new experience. Besides, I love all types of musics, and camping too!

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 22 January, 2021 - 09:33

Yes! I definitely would enjoy this idea. Camping at a music festival! What can be better!? I like adventures and travelling, so I will looking forward to this event. You fall asleep and wake up on the nature place, hear birds' singing in the mornings, watch sunrise and sunset, look at the starry night sky! Mmmm... I cannot find the words to express myself how all of these attracts me.

Nandini's picture
Nandini 2 July, 2020 - 20:01

Although I'm not supposed to listen to music, I think I would enjoy Camping at a music festival

ali2009's picture
ali2009 23 June, 2020 - 13:32

I am fun of camping but I have never assit a concert but Iknow some things about them so I want to go camping in the nature but I don't want to go to a concert because its noisy and I am don't like concert this is my opinion about that question

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 9 June, 2020 - 08:48

I don't like camping so much, because I hate bugs and grass. But I like concerts or listening to musics, so I think camping+music festival would make a good collaboration.

TR790's picture
TR790 20 May, 2020 - 14:21

I love camping and if you ask me for camping at a music festival I would definitely join.

Sherry4869's picture
Sherry4869 9 May, 2020 - 15:10

I like to camping with my friends. I love music. But, I would not enjoy camping at a music festival. I think it will be noisy.

peachygirl's picture
peachygirl 20 April, 2020 - 15:02

I would like to go to musical festival, because I really like music and I love singing and dancing.

marchese's picture
marchese 23 March, 2020 - 08:38

Yes, I think I had a lot of fun at a music festival, because I love listening to music, it manages to trasport you to another world and this is a crazy thing! But unfortunately I never attended a music festival.

FedericoB8's picture
FedericoB8 22 March, 2020 - 12:11

Yes, I would like to participate a music festival because I love music, I also like camping, but i never did these things together.

Micheleanto's picture
Micheleanto 20 March, 2020 - 17:21

I would like to go to a music festival but I wouldn’t like to camping ar the music festival, because I prefere the hotels, they are more confortable.

asiasantin's picture
asiasantin 20 March, 2020 - 15:20

I'd really like to. Music has been one of my greatest passions since I was a child, I love both listening and singing! it would be a beautiful experience

BttChiara's picture
BttChiara 20 March, 2020 - 14:53

Yes, I do because I love music and I don’t mind camping. My favourite singers are Micheal Jackson, Avicii and Beyoncé. I don’t mind camping because in my opinion it is really boring. I prefer listening or playing music because I enjoy it and it relax me when I’m tired.

bea_mara's picture
bea_mara 20 March, 2020 - 14:44

Yes, I would like it, because it's something I've never done and I love having new experiences, maybe with my friends or my family.

ballerinichiara's picture
ballerinichiara 20 March, 2020 - 14:42

I never go at a music festival but every summer I do camping with my friends in mountain and I really like it!

gattifederica's picture
gattifederica 20 March, 2020 - 12:57

I never participated in a camping at a music festival. I’d like to try this new experience, because I love listening to music and staying with friend. Also I could dance and sing my favourite songs all together. I’d like to sleep in a tent and eat around fire with other people. So I think I would enjoy camping at a music festival.

Naogiosu7's picture
Naogiosu7 20 March, 2020 - 12:27

Yes, i'd like it because i love going camping with friends and especially listening to the music i like. The best thing in my opinion is that i coud made new people with my own musical tastes

Carolina000's picture
Carolina000 20 March, 2020 - 12:26

Yes, I think I would love to partecipate in a camping in a music festival because since I was a child I have always enjoyed adventures and natural spaces and also music is one of my greatest passions.

beasam0109's picture
beasam0109 20 March, 2020 - 10:43

yes, of course, i would like to partecipate a musical festival. I love music, it makes me feel good, helps me to relax in some moments of greatest tension and difficulty.
Most of the day I spend listening to music, practically all genres excludes classical music.