Sophie is working closer to home this week. She’s in London and she has a surprise for Oliver and Daisy.

We use used to + verb for talking about states or actions that were true or happened in the past, but are not true or do not happen now.

Can you give me some examples?

Yes, of course.

London’s nothing like it used to be!
She used to go away on really long trips.

OK. So now she doesn’t go away on really long trips?

Exactly. Used to is always for talking about actions or states in the past that are not true now.

The record shop I always used to visit is now a really cool café. (I don’t visit the place now.)

Why can’t you use the past simple?

Well, you can, of course. But we use used to to emphasise that the state or action is not true now or does not happen now.

What about the negative?

We use do in the past + not + the infinitive, use to + verb. The question is formed in a similar way.

He didn’t use to wear nice clothes and recently he’s been looking quite cool.
So what else did you use to go to London for?

That’s quite a long construction – three verbs!

Yes, but used to doesn’t change – it’s always in the past simple.

Always in the past simple? So you can’t use it in the present?

No, it’s a strange verb. We only use it in the past.

I think I used to use it in the present too.

Oh dear. You won’t any more, will you?

No, I didn’t use to know the rules, but now I do.

How have you changed, compared to when you were little? What activities did you use to do that you’ve stopped doing now?

Comments

Pieter's picture
Pieter 3 May, 2021 - 08:22

As a child I used to care less about other people. it seems like it's almost prohibited to have fun as an adult.

Pieter

Cfvdv's picture
Cfvdv 12 April, 2021 - 15:52

When I was a child I used to eat paper, but I don't do this anymore, because I've heard this is not healthy, and is unhygienic... And it's clear over the years you know this isn't good.

Didik's picture
Didik 8 April, 2021 - 16:31

When I was a child I used to play with toys with my mother, I also used to paint, draw, and used to do paitings with my brothers.

Arivelde's picture
Arivelde 6 April, 2021 - 17:07

When I was younger, a child, I used to be much more agitated than now, I could play a entire day, without getting lazy or tired, I didn't have obligations or duties, I could sleep a whole night whithout interuptions. None of that I can do now; now I have to do things that I dont like, because it's the right thing to do. But what I've learned of all of that is responsibility, autonomy and respect, three very inportant characteristics for my adult life.

XxSaijanxX's picture
XxSaijanxX 8 March, 2021 - 23:48

When I was child, I used to play with my toys and I used to sleep a lot, I didn't have a lot of task. When I was in the secundary school, I used to play soccer with my friends and with my classmates in the school soccer team. Now, I didn't play anymore and now I have responsabilities and task for the school and for my personal life.

Maquiles's picture
Maquiles 4 March, 2021 - 15:04

When I was a Child I used to play with my friends in my grandma's house. We used to ride bikes at the park close to her house and we used to play football and other wonderful sports.
After that we used to eat sandwiches and drink sodas from a little shop on the street. Another example of what I used to do as a child it's I used to eat a lot at my old school and never had lunch at home. And that's some examples of what I do as a young boy. Thanks all of you for reading.

vanillasnat's picture
vanillasnat 1 March, 2021 - 06:29

When I was a child I used to be pretty shy. As well I used to play a lot with dolls or with my neighbors. Sometimes we used to play hide and seek, haunted or frozen, that was a lot of fun. At my house in the evenings I used to watch tv shows like
Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life on Deck and Hannah Montana on Disney Channel. These programs used to be my favorites. But now I watching some teen series on Netflix. As well in my childhood I used to ride a bike every day, I liked so much.

Jilk's picture
Jilk 23 February, 2021 - 07:26

I used to not like chicken and eggs, but over time that changed. Also when I was a child I used to watch pirate movies, now I just watch Anime, I used to watch Doraemon but now that is boring. When I was a child I used to play outside every day but now I don't doing that.
When I was child I used to play with toys but now I just play with my PC all the week. Also I used to watch TV all day but now I watch more YouTube. When I was a child I used to drink milk but now I drink soy milk

Kostantinus's picture
Kostantinus 30 January, 2021 - 10:50

When I was younger I used to sculpt plasticine figures of animals, paint, make handicrafts, make a shelter with blankets ans sheets in my home, play drums, piano, guitar, accordion, climb trees.

hermione123's picture
hermione123 1 January, 2021 - 11:03

I used to have singing practice every week, and painting on walls with marker. but now i don't

hermione123's picture
hermione123 10 January, 2021 - 13:57

So, you don't watch any cartoon now? I still watch Disney Junior or Nickelodeon jr. untill now:)
I also play toys like Lego

Giovannichoi's picture
Giovannichoi 6 July, 2020 - 03:56

I used to go swimming lessons when I was young, but I don't anymore. Also, I'd been practicing soccer and rugby (it was a tag rugby), but I finished these days.

Pelle's picture
Pelle 12 June, 2020 - 10:14

When I was younger, I used to play tag with my friends on the playground. We don't do that anymore. -Rob

usedto's picture
usedto 12 June, 2020 - 09:29

When I was little, I used to dress me up at home for fun. Now that I've grown up, I don't do it anymore.
- Babette

An_The's picture
An_The 11 June, 2020 - 09:34

I haven't change a lot since I was younger, but I used to be a lot from home because of all the activities I did after school. Now I'm a lot more at home.
Theo

Han's picture
Han 10 June, 2020 - 11:15

When I was younger, I used to bike with my parents and my younger brother very often. Nowadays, I hardly ever bike with them.
-Hanna

Roos123's picture
Roos123 10 June, 2020 - 10:42

When I was younger, I used to swim every friday and I used to play vollybal, now I don't do either of them anymore.
Roos

MatisseSijbers's picture
MatisseSijbers 10 June, 2020 - 09:59

When I was younger, I used to play football (soccer). I also used to go running, but now i don't. - Matisse

chickenwing's picture
chickenwing 9 June, 2020 - 17:34

As a kid I used to have a lot of hobbies, but now I only have two hobbies left.
-Finne

maurelien's picture
maurelien 9 June, 2020 - 15:24

When I was little, I used to play a lot with my neighbours in our gardens. Now that we've grown up, we don't see each other much any more.

- Anne-Laure