Daisy is chatting to her brother Oliver, and his best mate Alfie, about her new boyfriend. Daisy and Oliver’s mum is working in Thailand this week.

We use the present simple to talk about repeated actions or events, permanent states or things which are always true. To find out more about the present simple, read and listen to the conversation below.

Can you give me some examples?

Yes, of course. We use the present simple to talk about things which are repeated every day, every week, every year, etc.

I usually get up at 7 o'clock.
During the week I have swimming practice on Mondays, I do taekwondo on Tuesdays and tennis on Thursdays.
We always go on holiday in the summer.

I see. And you use words for explaining more about the time too.

Yes, we often use adverbs of frequency sometimes, often, usually or other time expressions like on Mondays, twice a week or in the summer.

What about permanent states? What does that mean?

Permanent states are situations or feelings which are not temporary.

I like him a lot.
Sophie works as a travel writer.
They live in London.

We also use the present simple for general facts, for example when talking about science or geography.

Thailand is really hot at this time of year.
Snakes live on the ground, in trees and in water.

So what do I need to know about forming the present simple?

The main thing is that the third person singular forms end in -s or -es. That's for he, she or it.

He watches black and white films at his cinema club on Wednesdays.
He thinks chess is a sport!

OK, and the other forms don't end in -s  or -es?  I watch TV a lot. We think Coldplay are boring.

Correct!

What about questions and negatives?

For most verbs we use the present simple of the verb do/does + subject + infinitive without to to form questions.

Do you see him on Wednesdays then?
Does Jack like sports?

For negatives we use the subject + do/does + not + infinitive without to.

Daisy and Jack don't go out together much at the weekend.
I don't think Coldplay are boring.

To go back to the idea of permanent and temporary things, what about this sentence: Is your mum in Thailand this week? Isn't that temporary?

Yes, it is. That's a very good point. Normally we use the present simple for permanent states, and the present continuous for temporary states, but some verbs are thought of as State Verbs and they are not usually used in the continuous form.

And the verb to be is one of those verbs?

Exactly! So even though staying in Thailand is temporary, we use the present simple with the verb to be. Here's another example:

How's Daisy? Is she with you?

But that isn't the question form you just told me about! Where's the do?

Ah, no. I said 'for most verbs we use do in questions'. The verb to be is different and so are modal verbs like can. We'll look at the verb to be separately because it's different and very common.

What are the other state verbs?

We'll look at those when we look at the Present Continuous. Any more questions?

Yes, what about: The train leaves at 5 in the morning? Isn't that talking about an event in the future?

Yes, it is, but it's also a repeated event. This is sometimes called the 'timetable future'.

OK, I have a maths class in a minute, so I have to go.

Good use of the 'timetable future'! Bye!

Tell us about your typical day. Remember to use the present simple!

Comments

Sol04's picture
Sol04 14 October, 2021 - 09:18

I usually get up at 6.00 a.m and I prepare myself, I take the bus for school and start my lessons at 8.00 a.m. When I finish my classes, I go home and have lunch, then I do housework and I relax or go out. In the evening I Cook and have dinner with my mum, I do the washing-up and I watch Tv series, then I go to bed

ilrxia's picture
ilrxia 14 October, 2021 - 09:15

I usually wake up between 6/6.30 in the morning, then I drink a cappuccino and after that I brush my teeth. I go to school and in the afternoon I listen to music or I watch movies/tv series, I don’t play any sports but I like watching basketball, I like reading books and painting.
In the evening I have dinner with my family and I watch videos on youtube with my sibilings.
I always go to sleep late, that’s the reason why I always need coffee in the morning.

Shark32_'s picture
Shark32_ 14 October, 2021 - 09:13

On school days, I usually wake up at 6,30 when my alarm rings on my phone.
Then I have breakfast, I clean my bedroom and I brush my teeth.
The school lessons always start at 8 o' clock and finish at 2.00 pm.
I go home and have lunch then I do my homework and study until dinner time at 8.00 pm.
Then I have a relaxing shower and I watch some movies or TV series and then I go to bed at Midnight because I'm very tired.

Yuko's picture
Yuko 14 October, 2021 - 09:13

My typical day begins, at 7 am I get up, wash myself, have breakfast, then I go to school. When the school finishes, I go back home.

bosskilla's picture
bosskilla 14 October, 2021 - 09:12

in the afternoon I always go to the gym at 5:00pm and I spend 2 hours at the gym and after that I go to the driving school at 7:00pm. to learn more things about the law of the road.

M4r1nell4's picture
M4r1nell4 14 October, 2021 - 09:10

Every day, I wake up at 6:30 a.m., I have a breakfast with my boyfriend, I do my skincare and I get dressed. I go to school. Lessons finish at 2.00 p.m. I go home and have lunch. I do my homework and i go out with my friends. I go back home and i have dinner . I have a shower, watch Tv and I go to bed.

Gianfrancioschio's picture
Gianfrancioschio 14 October, 2021 - 09:04

Every day I get up at 7:30 a.m., I have breakfast with a cup of milk and two or three biscuits, I go to school at 8:30 a.m., I follow every lesson, I go home where there is a big big lunch waiting for me. I sleep for two hours, at 6:30 p.m. I go to play football in a little city close to mine, I return home and I have dinner. At 11:00 p.m. I brush my teeth and I go to bed.

Diva69's picture
Diva69 14 October, 2021 - 09:01

I usually wake up at 6:30 am and I get up at 6:55 am, i take the bus to school at 7:20 am, then i go to school. I usually get out of school at 2:00 pm and I take the bus to go home at 2:35 pm.
I have lunch as soon as I get home and i start doing my homework,
after that I look through my instagram waiting for dinner. I have dinner at 7:30 pm and then I go to bed at 11:00 pm.

Ema_tavo's picture
Ema_tavo 31 August, 2021 - 13:46

I get up in the morning, I have breakfast. I make a plan for the day, that means that I choose how much homework I'm going to do and how much I'm going to play. I usually finish my homework in the afternoon.

Ronaldc84's picture
Ronaldc84 3 June, 2021 - 22:20

My typical day begins, at 7 am I get up, wash up, have breakfast, then I connect to classes, then lunch, rest 1 hour and go to work. I return at dawn to rest in the company of my family.

Ronald

MoliUAE's picture
MoliUAE 3 June, 2021 - 21:55

Since classes started I have woken up at 6:15 am to be able to have breakfast and do everything before going to class. After they finish I can do my other activities.

arialmora19's picture
arialmora19 3 June, 2021 - 21:32

First, I get up of my bed at 7:00 am, Then I take a shower, brush my teeths, and breakfast. Ussually I connect to my classes of University and Finally I help to my sister with her homeworks.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 10:08

Hi arialmora19,

Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is specially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but it sounds like you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but if you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other.

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

Puchi's picture
Puchi 3 June, 2021 - 21:30

Every day I wake up at 7:30 a.m.
I feed my cat and my dog.
I meditate for 10 minutes.
my mom makes me breakfast.
I usually eat cereal with milk.
Then I take a bath.
Next, I prepare for my classes.
etc.

Flaca's picture
Flaca 3 June, 2021 - 20:43

I usually get up at 6:00 am, then I start cooking breakfast and lunch, then I get ready to take my classes online.

teenwolf's picture
teenwolf 3 June, 2021 - 20:36

I usually get up from Monday to Friday at 7:00 am and on weekends at 8:00 am. Normally on weekdays I have my virtual class schedule that begins at 8:00 am and ends at 14:00 pm. After that at 14:30 pm I leave my house to work, finishing my day around 23:00 pm, just at that time I arrive at my house and the first thing I do is take a bath and after that do the duties as far as possible, ending the day exhausted and tired until the next day the same routine returns. And the weekends are quieter days.

PameB's picture
PameB 3 June, 2021 - 20:27

I get up early in the morning for pray after go to my class of university. for the nigth go to mass every day.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 10:11

Hi PameB,

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

Chinaa's picture
Chinaa 3 June, 2021 - 20:14

I wake up on weekdays at 7o'clock, go to the bathroom, then I have breakfast, go to brush NY teeths, then I have my online classes from 8 o'clock to 2pm, after my classes I have Lunch with my family, then wash the distes, do my homework and finally go to take a shower, put my pajama and watch Netflix until I fall asleep

panda1a's picture
panda1a 3 June, 2021 - 20:09

hi i'm karem. my daily routine is to get up at 6 in the morning to have breakfast, do my activities and then go to work at the funeral home.

editor_rachael's picture
editor_rachael 4 June, 2021 - 10:12

Hi panda1a,

Best wishes,

Rachael
LearnEnglish Teens team

CameriUAE's picture
CameriUAE 3 June, 2021 - 20:09

I get up at 7 am to fed my cats cause they are so noisy when they're hungry and then I take a shower and prepared all to received my classes .At the afternoon when my classes end I have a lunch and star to do my homework . At the night I go to the gym to the 9pm , when I return I take a shower , eat a lot of fuit then fed my cats and brush my teeth to go to sleep