Magazine topic:
Science and technology

Why I'm happy without a smartphone

by :
JenniferO

By today’s standards, my mobile phone is pretty rubbish. It’s a Nokia 1616. If that doesn’t mean much to you (it’s not the kind of phone you see advertised on television), all you need to know is that it’s a small, not very heavy rectangular device with which you can send and receive telephone calls and text messages. It also has a very handy torch on the top for when you can’t find your keys, or when you drop something on the floor in the cinema. Other than that, my phone doesn’t do much. Well, it has an alarm, and it probably has a calculator and things like that, but it’s nothing compared to a smartphone. Why would I want one of those?

I have often been told that the big advantage of having a smartphone is that ‘you can do everything with them!’ But when was the last time you saw someone doing ‘everything’ with a smartphone? Okay, so they may have an endless list of functions, but generally they are used for checking social networking sites, playing games, and receiving and replying to emails. I’m happy just doing all of those things at home on my laptop.

As far as I can tell, the best thing about having a smartphone is that you can be connected to the internet all the time. Don’t get me wrong, I love the internet (indeed, I’m communicating via the internet right now), but I just don’t see the point of constantly being online. I can’t remember the last time I received a Facebook update which was so very urgent that I had to read it as soon as it appeared (although, admittedly, I occasionally wish I could have de-tagged photos sooner), and I can’t imagine ever having a job which was so important (I’m talking life-or-death situations) that I would need to read work-related emails immediately. I would think that if someone needed me urgently, they would just ring me rather than send an email. And my trusty Nokia can manage that.

One of the most peculiar effects of the smartphone is, in my opinion, the new-found obsession with maps and navigation systems. Is there anything more boring than knowing exactly where you are all of the time?! How do you get to know an area if you don’t get lost there a few times? And if you are reliant on online maps, what happens to those great places you find just by chance? You can’t exactly find out from google maps the journey from ‘here’ to ‘that hidden cafe with the tasty-looking cakes’, or to ‘that pond next to the church which looks really pretty in the evening sun.’ It is, of course, true that we all occasionally need to be pointed in the right direction, but I find that there are often real life humans you can ask.

There are many benefits of having a very basic mobile phone, like the fact that it cost me about twenty pounds, and that I don’t have to worry too much about it being stolen. But the main benefit has to be the fact that it provides me with the world’s greatest excuse for my bad habits. Whether it’s turning up late to events, or getting lost on a trip, or missing buses or trains, or forgetting about an appointment at work, I’m pretty sure I’m covered with the following explanation: ‘I'm really sorry, I don’t have a smartphone.’

Do you have a smartphone? Can you persuade Jennifer to change her mind about them?
Do you ever feel pressurised to be up-to-date with the latest technology?

Comments

phm2003's picture
phm2003 3 March, 2017 - 08:38

I don't have smartphone but I can use my sister's one. I don't like to use it too much because you will be addicted to it if you don't know how to stop.As I say , smartphone maybe convenient to us : they can playing games , alarm , surfing the Internet , etc.But you have to know that : more modern the smartphone is , more energy it uses.You will have to recharge it everyday if you use it all the time.Your eyes will be hurt if you use it in the wrong place like in the dark, in the bed ,etc. Use it too much make you don't have time to study and do exercise. You will getting fat or studying worse.In short , smartphone is not always good for us

dogiaphong13309's picture
dogiaphong13309 12 June, 2015 - 16:30

I have 1 IPhone 4 and i can use it for news, break games,... Smartphone is good for me

cklj's picture
19483x
cklj 19 June, 2014 - 19:32

I don't have a smartphone and I thought that I didn't need one, but after reading this I'm sure that I've made a great decision. I had a smartphone once. I must mention I wasn't having any advantage of it, because I was young and didn't know how to use it properly. Then I lost it: it fell down from my pocket. Now I have a simple Samsung mobile with which I can connect to the Internet, but I don't want to. I use it to communicate with my friends and family (by calls and texts) and to listen songs. I have a camera, but it's way too bad to take a selfie with her (but why take a selfie that I can't post to Instagram?). I'm happy and pleased with my non-smartphone too.
I must mention that I liked this article a lot. Well done Jennifer! I think everyone should read it so it can open their eyes. :))

Tomoide's picture
Tomoide 7 January, 2014 - 15:45

i have a smartphone too, not a new model but i can phone with it so i don't need anything else from a smartPHONE( it's called phone, not computer or xbox).

Martina812's picture
Martina812 2 January, 2014 - 14:20

I love my smartphone because I find it useful and convenient.
useful because with the internet connection I can talk with my friends even if they are far away from me and convenient because I can surf the Internet quickly and outside the home :)

justcricketforme's picture
justcricketforme 23 October, 2013 - 13:30

I don't have a smartphone and I don't even have a phone. No, I won't persuade her mind because I don't think it really matters.

Elcuapo's picture
Elcuapo 12 September, 2013 - 10:56

I have a smartphone but i'm not addicted to. I think smartphones are the future. They contain very useful apps.

saba's picture
saba 4 September, 2013 - 10:16

i've been working really hard to show my granny how to work with her phone but she just wont learn!!!
she calls me 30 times a day and when i pikc up she says i thought i called your uncle!!!!
guys what should i do wiyh her?!!i mean how can i teach her how to use a phone???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chantelle43's picture
chantelle43 11 July, 2013 - 10:49

I don't have a smartphone too and i don't miss it :) All my friends have smartphones and they are always playing on that thing.

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 9 June, 2013 - 11:06

i can't imagin my life without my smartphone .. because it is a really intresting thing ... it makes me feel happy .. ^^

Phillipe's picture
Phillipe 27 May, 2013 - 12:08

I agree your blog . But if you work in an important work , you have to search on the internet , for looking information of science ,technology....

upsjackson's picture
upsjackson 23 April, 2013 - 17:47

Hi Jennifer,I so agree with everything you've said. Infact I'm always trying to make my mod-friends see these very facts!! And the biggest coincidence? I have the same phone -Nokia 1616 :P and it's serving me pretty well!

Natalija's picture
Natalija 24 April, 2013 - 14:30

Hi, upsjackson:)
I'm glad we share the same opinion about mobiles, I have the similar phone as yours, but I think I'll have to change it soon, because I'm having it for 5 years. One question-Do people in India,your country, speak English very often? I've heard that they do, and that English is the second language, after Hindi, of course. I think that people from India speak English fluently in general. Am I right? So, I'm looking forward to your answer.
Greetings:)

ingrida's picture
ingrida 7 April, 2013 - 17:17

I can't live without my smartphone. I don't know why....but i know that he is my life

Sreeanu's picture
Sreeanu 14 March, 2013 - 16:16

i dont have a smart phone.....! but i'm happy with the basic mobile i have. yes of course! smart phones are used mainly for internet connections,playing games along with the internet and highly used for taking pictures of one to upload on social networking....!
i hope i give all these explanations 'coze i dnt use smart phones... :P

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 9 March, 2013 - 11:20

I dont like a smartphone i like just a phone to talk with my family and my friend thats important for me...

Natalija's picture
Natalija 8 March, 2013 - 21:09

I don't have a smartphone. Since last five years, I am having Vodafone 527 and I am really content with its' functions. I hate all that new technology and the people obsessed with mobiles. All friends of mine have the best mobiles, but I don't need one. I can afford it, but I find better going abroad for a weekend instead of buying such mobile. My modest Vodafone can provide sending SMS and receiving phone calls, than Internet, but no youtube, 'cause it has small memory, and camera. But camera on my phone is the worst of all cameras in the world. I don't care, I like my modest pink mobile and I wouldn't change it for nothing in this world. Bad camera is the only disadvantage, but I really don't use mobiles often, only for SMS and calls, so all that facilities aren't necessary for me. Viva la Vodaphone!

Miley's picture
Miley 21 February, 2013 - 20:28

This article is great....even that smartphones keep u connected all the time with the net and you know where you are sometimes people don't use it because they need it.They use their smartphone to play games... to stay online or just to show that they are ''rich'' because they have a smartphone....i also call it peer pressure. I totally agree with the author and I think that the best phone in the world is the one who make it job right...!!!
:--))) BY Happy? Ok!!

sam786's picture
sam786 12 February, 2013 - 18:59

I have an smartphone but i am not always connected to the internet and even though i have an smartphone but at the first place i always try to find the place my self but if i am lost i use Google maps to search the place. Smart phone are all in one so it makes the life much easier but i agree with some of the points above about not having a smart phone. After all, life become much easier after having a smartphone and smartphone are very important nowadays.

megisiana's picture
megisiana 12 February, 2013 - 17:01

Smartphones are the least technology . and i have never being up-to-date because i use Blackberry he is the least technology too..............But the phone don't make the intelligence and participation in the technology ...This depends on the economy because you can't afford a expensive phone so you can use one more easy .... simple but beast for his work...........
So don't have your mind how you look with the up-date phone
in my country we don' t have the same problems -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Cheese's picture
1926x
Mr Cheese 1 February, 2013 - 09:30

Smartphones are very important nowadays. They help us in our life. We can't live now with the same old inventions. Smarthones are the present and the future of human life.

Janoo's picture
Janoo 31 January, 2013 - 11:08

I can't imagine my life with out a smartphone >_< all my family got smartphones so we can be connected more together and It helps me to study my third Language ( Chinese ) I'm in Egypt but in Chinese school we study Arabic , English and Chinese as third language :)

Mr Cheese's picture
1926x
Mr Cheese 25 January, 2013 - 12:01

I have a Nokia 1110 phone!
It's not a smartphone. it's just the most simple phone ever made!Your phone (Jennifer) is like a smartphone compared with mine. Yours has a torch on the top, mine has not!
An other detail, yours has a coloured screen, mine has a BLACK & WHITE screen!
I am very serious: It is simply a piece of a museum collection.
It's a very boring phone: there's only 3 games you can play; no possibility of listenning to music, seeing pictures or videos; it can't be connected to internet; it has (I think) a zero kilobyte capacity of storage.....
For me the question is not : "Why I'm happy without a smartphone?" because I think it is not the right question. MY question will be:
WHY I AM HAPPY WITH WITH MY NOKIA 1110 ?
Yes, it can seem incredible, but I love my phone.Because:
Primo, it's a phone. I can call or send messages to someone at everytime and in everyplace.
Secuendo, as you said, with that kind of phones I don't fear any thief because it's, relatively, cheap. In Algeria it costs 2000 dinars, which equals to 10 dollars.
Tersio, it has a very good game: Snake Xenkia. I don't stop playing (just before I read your article I have played it like 20 times without stopping).
Quatro, I don't need a more amelliorate device. If I want to listen music I'll do it with my MP3. If I want to see a movie, I'll see it o TV or on my laptop. Same thing for internet: on laptop. I dont need any storage capacity on my phone: on my laptop...
And I want to say another thing; the fact of "doing everything with a smart phone at EVERYMOMENT" is not a good: I'm 16 years old and I study at high school and my friends who have smartphones listen to music or see movies and download games and applications in class. I think it's a chance to not having a smartphone because I am more concentrated in studies.
When I'll finish my studies, I think that a smartphone will be more useful than now. It's a good invention: I love it! Certainly, I will buy an iPhone or an Xperia one day. But now my 1110 is perfect.
Thank for this article, Jennifer, I did love this debate and discussion. I wish you will make more of good articles like this one.

megadeth's picture
megadeth 17 February, 2013 - 13:32

i have a samsung galaxy young!!!!
but i forget it in home sometimes when i go out!!!
my life doesent change when i dont have my phone in my pocket!

AnnaSwiftie's picture
AnnaSwiftie 20 January, 2013 - 15:47

I have a touch-screen phone and i really love my phone :]]] I think smartphones are great but i don't want to buy one 'cause in my opinion,my phone is more comfortable than a smartphone . . . My phone is just a simple touch-screen LG phone but i like it more than a smartphone !!! So i totally agree with this article :))

Irini Real Madrid's picture
Irini Real Madrid 16 January, 2013 - 13:46

i dont like smart phones because i have one and is too boring.i like iphones too much

etleva hoxha's picture
etleva hoxha 4 January, 2013 - 12:53

I have smart phone but now that i have i dont like it anymore it is just a phone nothing else ...

xhevichani1's picture
xhevichani1 28 December, 2012 - 11:50

Hello :) !!! i have use phone and smart phone too!!!!! mobile and smart phone have advadtages and dissadvantagess too!!!i think the smartphone is better because is speed,and have many aplikacions than moblie ,have more memory and so much advandages than mobile~\!!!

rando's picture
1945x
rando 22 November, 2012 - 15:03

I agree with you too Jennifer,i realised that we rely too much on our electronic devices.Sometimes,its good to know something from ourselves,but not through a device.

Half-Stupid's picture
Half-Stupid 18 November, 2012 - 19:50

Thanks a lot, Jennifer O'Hagan!!! I now understand that I really don't need a smartphone. Is it really in fact "smart'? There are more smartest gadgets and I will have them as soon as I am an adult! My simple phone is as helpful as yours. (since 2006)

dreamkiller's picture
dreamkiller 18 October, 2012 - 15:55

hey guys !!!!! I don't have a smart phone and i agree with Jennifer.She is completely right if we have everything on our finger tips then we will just rely on that thing and we will never experience exciting and amazing things EVER!!!

annahedd's picture
annahedd 29 September, 2012 - 19:51

Hi everyone It might sound pretty weird but the fact is that I don't have a mobile phone at all neither a smart nor a stupid one !hhh because I simply buy things I need and I don't need a mobile phone yet I'm 17 and the day I need one I'll probably buy a Nokia !

willow's picture
willow 14 September, 2012 - 10:58

You are right: nokia is cheaper and more easier to use, but I think that today we can't live without smartphones because they are very useful with our life.