Listening exams can be quite scary. Will you understand what you have to do? Will you understand what the speakers say? Will you have time to write down your answers? This section will help you to prepare for all sorts of listening exams.
What do you already know? Predict!
- Look at the questions. What do you know about the topic? Anything you know about the topic, even in your own language, will help you.
- Look at the pictures or headings. What information do they give you about the topic?
- What vocabulary do you know about the topic? Predict which words might be in the listening.
- Any ideas you have before you listen in English, or even in your own language, will help you understand.
- Always look for clues to help you predict before you listen. Predict as much as possible and listen to confirm your predictions.