Reading exams can be tricky, so this section offers lots of tips and advice, so you'll be able to get the best mark possible in your next reading test or exam. What are you waiting for? Get reading!
How to read the text
- The first time you read a text, read it quickly to get a general idea.
- Your eyes follow the text from start to finish.
- Skim the introduction to get an idea of what the text is about.
- The first time you read a text, scan it quickly to find specific information.
- Your eyes move quickly all over the text; from left to right, up or down.
- Scan to find names, places, numbers or dates.
- As you read the text, circle the numbers, dates, names, etc.
Reading for detail / specific information
- The second time you read the text you will be looking for detail and specific information.
- Read slowly and carefully.
- Read parts of the text again and again.