In this type of test, you have two sentences. Sentence one is complete. Sentence two is incomplete. You have to complete sentence two so that it means the same as sentence one. For example:
Steven Spielberg directed Jurassic Park.
Jurassic Park _________ Steven Spielberg.
Answer: Jurassic Park was directed by Steven Spielberg.
Here are our tips for doing sentence transformation exercises well.
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Are you given a word to include in sentence two? If so, don’t change this word.
- How many words are you allowed to write to complete sentence two? Sometimes the instructions will tell you that there is a maximum word limit.
- Read sentences one and two slowly and carefully.
- Which part of sentence one is tested in sentence two?
- What grammar do you need to use?
- If you don’t know an answer, guess. You may be right!
- Check your spelling carefully.
- Check your answers carefully when you finish.
- Sentence transformations often test direct and indirect speech, comparative and superlative forms, active and passive forms, quantifiers, conditionals and verb patterns.
Do you like sentence transformation exercises? Try our practice exercise to see if you are good at these.