- Don’t worry about difficult vocabulary.
- Use the context to help you understand the meaning. Read the whole sentence and the sentences before and after.
- What type of word is it? A noun? A verb? An adjective? An adverb?
- Does the word have a positive or negative meaning?
- Look for synonyms in the text. Well written texts use synonyms rather than repeating the same word. If you don’t know the word, it may be a synonym of another word in the text.
- Think about the topic. Which words do you know related to the topic?
- Is the word similar to another word you know? E.g. birth is similar to birthday.
- Is the word similar to a word in your language?
How well did you do in the exercise? Do you think the tips will help you in your next exam?