Books

Agatha Christie's house

23
FrancesS

I love a good murder mystery. It is so fun to watch or read a gripping detective story and try to solve the murder yourself. Agatha Christie is undeniably queen of the whodunit genre given that she wrote over eighty books. Many people have fallen in love with her creations – Hercule Poirot, a famous Belgian detective and Miss Marple, an old lady who is also an amateur sleuth.

As I am a big fan of Agatha Christie, I was thrilled to visit her house in Devon called Greenway. I travelled to her house by steam train. We went through a dark tunnel and there was lots of smoke. It was a perfect setting for a murder like in her famous novel Murder on the Orient Express. Fortunately all the passengers arrived safely!

After a pleasant walk through the woods, I reached the splendid house. I did a tour and I loved seeing where she wrote her books. Many first editions were on display in a revolving bookcase. However, my favourite part of the estate was the boathouse. There was a lovely view of the river but the boathouse also served a more sinister purpose – inspiration for a crime scene. In the Poirot novel, Dead Man’s Folly, a girl’s body is found in the boathouse. They even filmed the TV adaptation of the book at Greenway.

I really enjoyed my visit to Greenway. It was such a beautiful place and I was fascinated to see where Agatha Christie was inspired to write so many thrilling stories.

Do you like murder mysteries? Can you recommend a good detective story?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 7 July, 2017 - 12:02

I love Poirot! He's one of the best detectives, and the second best after Sherlock. Agatha Christie is a good authors, and she was dyslexic. She dictated the whole Hercule Poirot series! Whoa, I can barely manage two sentences on the spot! Not exactly, I can, but it's just like hard. I recommend secret series by Pseudonymous Bosch. It's really funny yet mysterious, and the names of the books are just great!!! :)))) ✌

helenele123's picture
helenele123 3 March, 2017 - 11:57

Agatha Christie is my favourite. Her stories are amazing. Also, you can read Edgar Allan Poe's detective stories.

hamza123's picture
hamza123 17 July, 2016 - 04:30

did you read the book in french or in english??? my father is always talking about agatha christie and how he a whole book in one day

BigBen6464's picture
BigBen6464 25 June, 2016 - 18:45

I haven't read any of Agatha Christie's books, but I'm planing to do it. For now Sherlock Holmes is my favourite one.

youaretheonlyone29's picture
youaretheonlyone29 12 May, 2016 - 14:24

I'm a huge fan of her. I would definitely recommended "Death on the Nile". It is incredible! :)

gianggiang 23 October, 2015 - 15:09

Not really, I only one detective novel and one detective comic. I am interested in Sherlock Holmes.I believe that Sherlock Holmes is one of the most famous novels in the world. I have never read Agatha's works but I know a little about her. I am a fan of" Conan famous detective " comic books, and the author of them - Aoyama Gosho, is a big Conan Doyle and Agatha's fan. Aoyama often named his main characters based on famous authors'pen names. ( Conan, Agasa, Eri, Mori,,,,). I should read" Conan famous detective " to find out a lot of knowledge about biology, chemistry, physic and even music. You can discover the whole Newyork and London just by reading some parts of these comic books.

Ken 23 October, 2015 - 22:11

I know 'Conan kun', too! Ostensibly he is a innocent kid but basicslly he's an intelligent guy. Am I right? Some of my classmates are big fans of him!
\(•̀.̫•)-(•̀.̫•)-(•̀.̫•)/

anime_lover's picture
anime_lover 4 October, 2015 - 14:43

i really love mystery and detective fiction.. and i like Agatha christies novels. i think they are amazing.i also like Shelock Holmes novels, especially the hound of the Baskervilles. Its really interesting and mysterious and i highly recomend reading it if you like mystery novels

Rahila's picture
Rahila 25 September, 2015 - 16:46

Yes,I luv agatha cristie's books.I have read 3 of them.But I can recommend u one of Azerbaijani's murder mystery writers (and he ale famous for all over the world) Chingiz Abdullayev.Search on the google,and u will find him.I luv his stories too.

poppymoore's picture
poppymoore 9 September, 2015 - 16:05

It's absolutely impossible, for a mystery lover like me to recommend ONE good detective story because I judge a story by the mood in which I read it. While Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are undoubtedly the King and Queen of the mystery world , I still like to read Nancy Drew Files when I want something predictable yet entertaing. And I would also recommend other contemporary writers like Jeffrey Archer and Nicci-French to those who have a taste for fresh and hardcore mystery

polyrrr's picture
polyrrr 24 August, 2015 - 15:41

I've read only one story written by Agatha Christie, it was "Hickory Dickory Dock". Interesting book, I can say. I can recommend everyone to read stories about Sherlock Holmes, it's fantastic!

Ken 13 August, 2015 - 07:07

I would recommend 'The Name of the Rose'' and 'Foucault's Pendulum' written by Umberto Eco. No detectives appear in the stories but the plots follow the 'Sharlock and Watson' style. They are shadowy murde mysteries......
▒▒▓█▇▅▂∩( ✧Д✧)∩▂▅▇█▓▒▒

FrancesS's picture
FrancesS 21 August, 2015 - 18:24

I have never read anything by Umberto Eco so thank you for the recommendation. I like Sherlock Holmes so I think I will like reading them. I want to improve my Italian so I will try to read those books in the original language. 

CoolPink's picture
CoolPink 12 August, 2015 - 21:17

I love mystery and detective stories. But most of all I love the series of books '' Cases of Hercule Poirot." I think that Agatha Christie is very intelligent when he can so well to come up with a crime other actions in the book. If you have not already you should get one of her book

CoolPink's picture
CoolPink 9 October, 2015 - 19:24

Yes, he is.He is always right, and his conclusions are amazing only what bothered me is that in the last book he died but before his death he kills one person .......

LorseN's picture
LorseN 12 August, 2015 - 02:57

I also love agatha christie, too. She's so amazed!! Her books are fantastic, every parts usually make me feeel thrilled. And i read Conan, too =))))