Books

The benefits of reading

6
JessicaBlogger

I am a person who has always loved reading. For me, it is easy to get lost in a book and return to the world a couple of hours later having been on an adventure. As a 6-year-old, I could be found reading Harry Potter, an ambitious book for a 6-year-old but I enjoyed it all the same. Now, as a student, it is harder to find the time to read books for pleasure; however, I relish the summers where I have the time to read to my heart’s content. Growing up, it soon became apparent that spelling for me was not difficult and I had a wide vocabulary. This is something I credit to reading from such a young age.

My advice for you as English learners would be to read the books that you have often read in your native language in English. Reading, fiction especially, is a great way of improving your vocabulary and spelling without noticing as you are wrapped up in the storyline. For me, I have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in French and am currently reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Spanish. This is a really effective way of being able to read in another language because I know the story so well in English, it is easy to follow the story in the target language even if I do not understand every word.

This is another essential point: it is not necessary to understand absolutely every word. If you understand the meaning of the sentence, each word is not necessarily important. Sometimes it is impossible to translate directly from one language to another. Quite often, if a word is used several times in a text, you can gain your own meaning from it and it makes much more sense than if you tried to translate it in the first place.

Give it a try. If you like reading you could be opening up a whole world of literature you never knew existed!

Do you like reading? What kinds of books do you enjoy?

Aliceinthewonderland's picture
Aliceinthewonderland 26 January, 2017 - 11:04

I enjoy reading very much♡I love reading fantasy stories:)In my opinion, there are many benefits in reading, like you can increase your skills and knowledge during reading.

jittu's picture
jittu 21 January, 2017 - 04:11

hello
I am new on this site and my English is so poor. I want to improve my English.so please friends help me.
Thanks

Jonathan - Coor... 21 January, 2017 - 04:21

Hi jittu. Welcome to LearnEnglish Teens! Start with the Skills, Grammar and Vocabulary and other sections and find something that you are interested in.  You can also practise by writing and responding to comments, as you have done. We hope you enjoy practising English here!

hadia 9 December, 2016 - 14:27

Reading is love for me. And I really agree to all the points that you mentioned in your article, Jessica ;).
While reading, we are really lost in the world that writer has created.
I like books with almost all kinds of genre. As Sanpai quotes "I am a book addict" he he. Me too.
And once you are addicted, you can never leave it.
And yeah, books are worth reading ;)

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 2 December, 2016 - 10:59

Of course I love reading! Maybe I am a book addict. Although I can't give much time at reading books at school days, I borrow books and read them in holidays. I have read many books through my life, since the age to be able to read. I read books of national authors and books of foreign authors,in native language. I enjoy every kind of books that gives me advantage and guidelines.

gianggiang 11 November, 2016 - 13:49

Yep, I love reading very much, I like many kinds of books. When I read books written in foreign languages or translated into my mother tongue, I hope that they are easy to read, easy to understand, and do not use many metaphors so that I do not have to think and guess too much. When I read a book written in my mother tongue, I'm really keen on ones which carry deep meanings, convey thought-provoking messages and educate people than just entertainment