Books

Books that remind me of home

RachelF

It's a funny thing, being in another country. It makes you appreciate all the things you love about your home, whether it be the food, the traditions, or the people. For me personally, reading and sharing books helps me to connect with my memories, my friends and family, and my home country, the UK.

Here are just five of the books or book-series that, for me, conjure up vivid memories of home:

Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster
This book takes the form of a series of letters, and follows the story of a young orphan, Judy, as she goes to university and discovers a whole world of new experiences. This book always reminds me of my home and my mother, because she used to read it to me when I was ill in bed.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
I'm sure many of you will have heard of this one! These books are about a boy who discovers he's a wizard, and has all sorts of adventures at wizarding school. I love to read these again and again, because I can really get lost in the stories, and the whole magical world the author has created. Recently, I have also been reading them in German.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
This is a science-fiction novel about a man's adventures in space after the destruction of Earth. It is extremely funny and inventive, as well as having a very British sense of humour. For this reason, it might be a bit difficult for foreigners to understand, but when I read it I feel a strong connection to my home.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson-Burnett
Have you ever read a description of a landscape or countryside that made you feel like you were actually there? For me, this book does exactly that. It is about a young girl who is taken to live in a big house in Yorkshire, England, and discovers a secret garden.

The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
This was one of my favourite books when i was younger, and for this reason it still strongly reminds me of England and my childhood. It is also set in Yorkshire, and follows three children and their adventures living next to a railway.

Note from editor: The books on this list are the blogger's personal selection.

Have you read any of these books, and if not, would you like to? What is your favourite book that reminds you of home?

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 January, 2016 - 10:44

I've read the above books except the Douglas adams. And MY family and the other animals by Gerald durrel certainly reminds me of home.

sara79's picture
sara79 4 June, 2014 - 17:15

No,i don't read any book yet.but now i'm reading books because i love to know about english wheather it is reading ,writing and whatever in the account of english.:p

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 June, 2014 - 14:23

Books are definitely a great way to get better at English, and writing is also important! Someone else on this website said they write a diary in English - why don't you try that? 

Good luck with your language learning!

Rachel

dzeni 2 March, 2014 - 17:03

I read Harry Potter. It is great and amazing book. My favourite book is The Lord Of The Rings.

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 June, 2014 - 14:22

I know about the film E.T. but not the book - is it good? It's great you are reading books in English!

Keep up the good work!

Rachel

MALINE 30 November, 2013 - 17:50

I have read Harry Potter (all the books) and I´ve seen the films too and I like best the books,I can imagine myself at Hogwarts and London and the other films is The secret garden is it based on the book?

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 June, 2014 - 14:19

I like the Harry Potter books best too! If you go to England or Scotland you can see where the films took place, or even if you go to an old castle you can imagine that it's Hogwarts!

I haven't seen the Secret Garden film but I think it probably was based on the book - it is quite a famous book so I don't think they would have used the name for a different film.

Keep reading!

Rachel

mickoviciqwe's picture
mickoviciqwe 5 November, 2013 - 18:53

Im not sure you will understand tham but poems that Dragan Radulovich is making just cant leave you un-inspired ':) i recommend his books and Desanka Maksimovich

Natalija 6 November, 2013 - 14:25

Hi mickoviciqwe!
I like Desanka Maksimovic too, she's one of mine favourite female poets. ;-)

Jonathan - Coor... 6 November, 2013 - 02:08

Hi mickoviciqwe! I don't know these writers but I'll keep an eye out for them. Where are they from and what language do they write in? I always like hearing about new writers.

Natalija 2 November, 2013 - 14:46

The only book from this list that I read is Harry Potter, but only two books, not all 7. The book that remind me of home is Heidi by Johanna Spyri. That's the first book I read, and it really reminds me of home and of my mother, since that was her favourite book when she was little.

RachelF's picture
RachelF 11 June, 2014 - 14:21

I remember reading Heidi too! What a great book! It made me want to live in the mountains.

Rachel

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 31 October, 2013 - 19:20

I have read only "Harry Potter"... I hoppe someday i will read all of them because i love reading books :)

friendshiprose's picture
friendshiprose 21 October, 2013 - 13:11

I read 'The Secret Garden' and 'Harry Potter'. It's amazing. I like it. Harry Potter is a very interesting and magic. The Secret Garden is a secret novel. I think these were the best novels I've read what. :)) I recommend! <3!

justcricketforme 19 October, 2013 - 09:48

I've read Harry Potter, the Railway Children and The Secret Garden. These books are awesome and very good to improve your English.

Harabeli Supersweet 17 October, 2013 - 17:27

Yes, I have read "Harry Potter" and "The Railway Children". I would like to read the others too. There are some books that remind me of home. For example, "Heidi". It reminds me the old house of my grandparents. I miss it very much and that's why this book made me cry. The books that I like always bring me sweet memories from the time when I bought them or the things that were happening during the period of time that I was reading it.

RachelF's picture
RachelF 19 November, 2013 - 10:04

Thanks for your comment.

I read 'Heidi' too when I was younger! Are you from Switzerland like Heidi? I love hearing about books that are special to people. I think it is a great way to get to know a person.

Keep reading!

Rachel

Lavender 15 October, 2013 - 19:32

Harry Potter. I love them since I was in grade 6. My favorite characters are Hermione and Ginny, they are smart and brave and really good friends. I love the magic world and how it works in the story.