British authors on banknotes

British authors on banknotes

9

The UK is well known for choosing to keep the pound sterling when many other European countries started using the Euro. Euros are colourful banknotes with silver stars and the European flag on them, while pound notes still show the face of Queen Elizabeth II. Something interesting about British money is that there are also faces on the back of the note. Did you know that the picture changes every few years to show a different famous person from British history?

At the moment, we can find the face of Charles Darwin on the £10 note. He was a scientist, famous for his theories about evolution. Until 2003, Charles Dickens was on the banknote. He is one of the country’s favourite authors, with novels like ‘Oliver Twist’ and ‘David Copperfield’ voted as some of Britain’s best works of literature. Recently, it was announced that Jane Austen would replace Darwin on the £10 note. She is one of my favourite authors, remembered for books like ‘Pride and Prejudice’ and ‘Sense and Sensibility’. People think that it was a very good choice to put Jane Austen on a banknote because most of the people on our money are men.

Other writers that have appeared on British pound notes are the world famous playwright William Shakespeare and the economist Adam Smith. However, other people such as inventors and social reformers have also been on banknotes. Soon, the former Prime Minister William Churchill will be on all the £5 notes in the country. By putting their faces on banknotes, the UK shows that it is very proud of all these historical figures, just as it is proud of the pound sterling!

Topics: 

What does your money look like? Who are the most famous people in your country's history?

mamido39055's picture

we use algerien dinars .dinars are also colourful banknotes .we have notes of 100.200.500.10000and2000.2000 is green and 1000is red.
There are lots of famous people in my country's history like El amire Abdelkader and Mostafha Ben Boulide and Arbi ben Mhidi and lots of ....and have great player football win champions ligue with Fc porto is Rabeh Madjer i love Rabeh a lot of

In Montenegro we use euro. There are seven euro banknotes: 5, 10 ,20 ,50 ,100 ,200 and 500. They are all different size and color. 5 euros are gray, 10 euros are red and they presented a style of romance, 20 euros are blue and they presented Gotic style, 50 euros are brown and on them was presentend Baroque. 100 euros are green color and they presented rococo, 200 euros are yellow and they presented modern style building. 500 euros are purple and they presented modern European architecture.

We use Serbian dinars. We have notes of 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000 dinars. On the note of 10 dinars is Vuk Karadzic, the major reformer of our language and our alphabet, on the note of 20 dinars is Petar Petrovic Njegos, a philosopher and poet, most appreciated poet in our history, on the note of 50 dinars is Stevan Stojanovic Mokranjac, a composer, on the note of 100 dinars is Nikola Tesla, our greatest scientist and genious, he invented electricity, on the note of 200 dinars is Nadezda Petrovic, a painter, on the note of 500 din. is Jovan Cvijic, a geographer and former president of Serbian Royal Academy of Sciences, on the note of 1000 din. is Djordje Vajfert, an industrialist and governor of the National Bank of Serbia, on the note of 2000 din. is Milutin Milankovic, a mathematician, astronomer and engineer and on the note of 5000 din. is Slobodan Jovanovic, a jurist, historian and politician.

We have five notes,one note for $20 pesos with the face of Benito Juárez (president),$50 pesos José Maria Morelos(Independence),$100 pesos Nezahualcoyotl (philosopher,warrior and poet in pre-Columbian México),$200 pesos Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz (the most famous female poet),$500 pesos Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo (painters) and last but not least $1000 Miguel Hidalgo y costilla (leader of our Independence).
You can also find an eagle eating a snake standing on a nopal in all coins on the tail as well as in our flag.

Kamil's picture

Our money is manat. We've lots of famous people in our history. They are "Nizami Gancavi" , "Mammad Amin Rasulzade". We have a lot of famous people. I'm from Azerbaijan. You can find out from internet or if you want to learn more you can ask from me.

My country uses Rupiah as official currency, Rupiahs are also colourful banknotes, it got red in Rp. 100.000 with Sukarno and Hatta on the notes, our first president and vice president. In the back, there is picture of MPR and DPR building which is the centre of Indonesia legislative government.
There are lots of famous people in my country's history, some of them are on the banknotes too. But i think Sukarno is the most popular person, his name immortalized in airport and stadium, he was the most influential person in Indonesia as well.