Books

Confessions of a Harry Potter fan

32
RosemaryM

I am a self-confessed Harry Potter devotee. I've read the books multiple times and watched the films more times than I can count. Once, I even watched all eight films back-to-back. It took around nineteen hours to watch them all and I was rather tired by the time I went to bed! My sister and I even named our pet gerbils Fred and George, after the Weasley twins.

J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series is something that I grew up with. When I was in primary school, my teacher used to read us a little bit of Harry Potter at the end of the school day, if we had been good. I remember receiving Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for my birthday one year and being overwhelmed by the number of pages! I also remember building the Hogwart's Express out of Lego - there were even small figures of Harry, Ron and Hermione included! 

I can't quite put my finger on why the Harry Potter saga is so popular. Perhaps it's the imagination behind the books - all the characters, the quirky places, the unusual little details - which make it such an intriguing collection of stories. Or maybe it's simply that we all have a fascination with magic - even though we know it's completely made up. Reading the books transports us into an alternative world, where anything is possible. Although I love watching the films, I have always preferred reading books: the images jump off the page and you're free to imagine for yourself how everything should look.

Three years ago, I visited the Harry Potter Studios which are located just outside of London, near the town of Watford. I was given a ticket by my friends for my eighteenth birthday and went with a friend for the day. It was so exciting to explore all of the sets, to see the costumes and, of course, to try some Butterbeer (which is actually a non-alcoholic drink). We tried on cloaks, played with the wands and took photos at every opportunity! It was a fantastic trip, and one which I would recommend to any fan!

In both my first and second years at university I was a member of the Quidditch and Harry Potter Society. The society held regular film viewings and events, including a sorting ceremony! I have also read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in French and hope to read the rest of the series! One day, I would love to visit Harry Potter World in America - it would be a dream come true!

Are you a fan of Harry Potter? 

Fenris's picture
Fenris 9 May, 2018 - 07:39

I used to be a pretty big fan of the Harry Potter books, but I like the Percy Jackson series more.

1 user has voted.
catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 2 May, 2017 - 17:12

HARRY POTTER! Could there be anyone in this world who doesn't know him???? I'm his biggest fan!!! I've begged my mum (Who hates HP!) to let me watch the movies. I would really, really like to see Hogwarts! Someone please tell me where it was shot!

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 5 May, 2017 - 17:21

Hi Ken!
Harry Potter is a series of seven books about a boy called Harry Potter who attends a wizarding school called Hogwarts. The main villian is Voldemort, who is said to have thrown a death curse on the boy but he survived due to the love of his mummy. But he has a scar on his forehead, that uniquely identifies him. There are movies on all parts of the book. But I would suggest that you read the book, just because it's cool!!! :)))

bookworm19's picture
bookworm19 6 May, 2016 - 06:38

i m biggest fan of harry potter..i fell harry potter books are unputdownable one..it is so intresting,...

Manaly's picture
Manaly 1 April, 2016 - 09:58

I think it is only me who didn't read or even watch Harry potter though all my friends are always talking about it and how it really great

caheokhonglo's picture
caheokhonglo 4 February, 2016 - 15:43

thanks for your sharing. At the moment, iam not a fan of Harry Potter but i think there will be a change in the future because i begin reading them right now

AliceZ's picture
AliceZ 21 November, 2015 - 01:37

Yes I'm a fan of Harry Potter, I already read Harry Potter a lot of times, and watched movies a lot of times, I think it's allsome!

emojiunicorn's picture
emojiunicorn 17 November, 2015 - 20:07

Yes of course.I read all the books.JK Rouling is one of my writing idols too.By the way fantastic blog.

eunji's picture
eunji 15 November, 2015 - 05:32

Yes. I am. I read the books and watch the movies many times. But the same as many fans I prefer reading books.

ScattyLittleWarrior's picture
ScattyLittleWarrior 30 October, 2015 - 16:57

I am completely a fan of HP! I´ve first started to read first book about two years ago, but it is something that changed my life. Everytime I hear somebody talking about HP in a bad mood, I am about to tell him something really bad. Harry Potter is something taht changed life a millions of people. I think in future it will be a classic book like Jane Eyre or something like this... My favourite character is Hermione. It is my biggest idol ever, completely. Plus, my biggest dream is to visit Harry Potter studios.

Excelent blog!

sona's picture
sona 26 October, 2015 - 18:03

I am a fan of Harry Potter.I have read it since I was six years old,but I didn't understand at first,so I re-read the all books. Harry Potter was,is and will be always in my dreams,because he's my idol. I am from Albania and I love to go in Engalnd, to visit this fantastic place.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 October, 2015 - 15:48

Absolutely. Whatever I read, harry potter is still one of the best series I've read and I doubt that judgement will change.

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 6 October, 2015 - 11:07

Hi Silvermist,
Do you have a favourite book in the series? My favourite is the Prisoner of Azkaban, the third in the series :-)

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 9 October, 2015 - 06:24

Hi RosemaryM,
I can't exactly say which, but I think Deathly hallows has my heart, the war and all.
Yet in a way its disappointing, curz it's the end and no more craving.

hongnguyen's picture
hongnguyen 3 October, 2015 - 03:47

rri am a fan of Harry,too. i like Harry Potter series so much. although i have ever seen full of films about harry potter, i prefer reading book. Harry Potter take me to one diffirent world, megical and wonderful. if i have free time, the work i want to do now is seeing Harry potter films again. and my dream is going to UK-the country of Harry

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 4 October, 2015 - 12:27

Hi hongnguyen,

All across the UK there are many places where parts of the Harry Potter films have been shot. For example, in Yorkshire you can visit Malham Cove which features in the eighth film. I went there two summers ago and the views were fantastic! There's also Durham Cathedral - used to represent Hogwarts in the first and second films. 

Do you have a favourite place featured in Harry Potter?

hongnguyen's picture
hongnguyen 25 October, 2015 - 07:13

hi RosemaryM
Oh, it's very wonderful. The place that I like best in Harry Potter is Hogwarts. I hope that in the future I'll have a chance to go to there. Besides, would you mind if I asked you some questions. Where are you from?

Jonathan - Coor... 25 October, 2015 - 14:56

Hi hongnguyen. Please remember our House Rules which say:

• Do not share your email address, phone number, home address, school name, messenger ID or passwords with anyone.

Don't forget that if you post your email address on a public website, anyone in the world can see it! That's not a good idea. But you're welcome to keep on posting messages on here and interacting with bloggers and other users. :)

hongnguyen's picture
hongnguyen 26 October, 2015 - 12:55

Hi Jonathan,
I am sorry. I don't know that. So I'll be more careful. I only thing that I want to make friend with many people in the world. I promise I won't do it again.

iva10 28 September, 2015 - 20:06

I am a fan of Harry Potter.I've read the first part and i watched four put of six or seven parts of the film.J.K Rouling is one of my writing idols.