Books

Dear Diary

42
KatieP

What is the point in writing a diary? At home, I never write about my days. I feel diary writing difficult to keep up with and at times even a little boring especially when I simple write, I woke up, went to Uni, came home and watched TV. It seems so basic that I feel there has never really been too much point in keeping up with one.

However since starting my year abroad in Germany I have decided to keep a record of all my experiences with living and working in the country. I have a diary where I write what has happened in my day, whether it is a bad, good, funny, embarrassing or interesting experience and I also have a scrapbook where I like to stick receipts, tickets, photos and leaflets. I decided to do this so that I will be able to remember for the rest of my life how I felt during every day on my year abroad. Sometimes I fall behind a few days and it is really difficult to catch up again but I am quite enjoying keeping my diary up to date.

I also write my own blog. Many of my friends and family members asked me how they would be able to keep up to date with my travels and experiences and so I decided to write a blog. I am new to blogging so just write about anything that I like and I find it interesting although it is also very time consuming keeping up with my diary, scrapbook and blog. I think it's nice that people can read what I am up to and how I am feeling and I know that even my grandparents are keen readers. The website I use also shows how many people have read my blog and from which country and I think that is really interesting and cool that I have readers all over the world. I hope that it will interest and motivate more people to travel or become an English language assistant like me or maybe even just answer people's questions. 

I find it quite relaxing to write down my feelings and memories and feel it is easier to forget about things afterwards as I know I will always be able to remember things by re-reading my posts. I am so used to it now I think it will even be strange to go back home and not keeping one, so perhaps I will maintain my diary writing in the future. 

Do you write a diary or a blog? Do you think it's useful to record your daily experiences?

Ken 5 December, 2017 - 03:19

I wonder what the difference between a diary and a blog is???
(╭☞•́⍛•̀)╭☞
Diary: paper / closed
Blog: online / open

Elsa007 28 March, 2017 - 01:30

Hi Admin,
I've got a question. The other day I learned that a 'diary' has two meanings. A diary in UK refers to a book to organise one's schedule for a month or a year. Which is which? Could you tell me?
Elsa

Jonathan - Coor... 28 March, 2017 - 03:17

Hi Elsa. That's right. In British English, 'diary' has these two meanings - the one in the blog, and the one you mentioned. In US English, the meaning that you mention is called a 'datebook'. :)

SR123's picture
SR123 25 March, 2017 - 16:57

I dont have a dairy but i would like to...because in this way u can write everything you want and the dairy never judge or punish u...u can olso write your feelings and secrets that you can say nobody..so u can feel better and can remember the most interesting moments...

Muslimgirl65's picture
Muslimgirl65 1 February, 2016 - 18:31

I keep diary it is very good and useful thing for me.Sometimes i write events but sometimes i write my feelings.I write daily because i want to read it in the future and i want to see to my change stage.

Jonathan - Coor... 12 November, 2015 - 09:52

Hi junzi0phan. Great idea! It's good to write down your experiences of the day and then you can occasionally flick through the diary and look back on them. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Saionji's picture
Saionji 26 May, 2015 - 15:02

Dear KatieP,
Thanks for this amazing article,, yes I do
The diary is a personal friend so you can trust it and write whatever comes in mind,even your biggest secrets!
I thinks that it is useful to write your experiments so when you come back after many years you can see how you changed and what bad things you want to change it.
A diary is not only for writing your activities , but you can also express your feelings to a good friend that will always listen , never judge , and never forget, do you agree with me?

Ken 26 May, 2015 - 23:05

Hi Saionji, yes I agree. When opening a diary, the door to a mental dialogue that mirrors yourself opens up!

Elsa007 21 April, 2015 - 15:48

I used to keep a diary, but whenever I reread my diary after a while, I feel embarrassed! It's a bit shame that my time nowadays is occupied with routine schedules… But owing to Katie's blog, I thought it would be nice to keep a diary, since it seems to be just like going through life with leaving footprints as living proof...!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 30 April, 2015 - 07:51

Hey Elsa007,
Sometimes I feel embarrassed too. But sometimes when I read a diary of the earlier year after a long time, the memories bring a surge of laughter and other emotions, I feel like the past is a place of residence, not reference.
Do other people read yours,?( I never let them)

Yes! I love writing diary! I think that this is the best way of storing your good and bad memories. When i a\m sad and there's no one around to whom i can share my sadness and grief I open by cupboard take my diary and start writing.I think that it has proven to be the best companion ever and i share my all happy days of my life and also my secrets which nobody knows so I think that it's the best wat to save your memories! Every one must try to write diary of your happy or sad moments!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 24 January, 2015 - 16:52

yes, I have a diary curz I want to record my life at school. but I'm dead scared that someone would read it. oopsie...

Dia's picture
Dia 17 March, 2014 - 20:29

I don't write a diary because I don't have time ,but I think is important to have a diary because you can note all moment important from your life and don't exist posibility to forget something when become older. :D

PafnutyTeam's picture
PafnutyTeam 11 March, 2014 - 14:18

I had a diary, but then I thought that sombody cuold read it - and burn it in a fireplace... Sad, isn't it? But I don't regret. I keep a diary of inner talks to myself.

Amazing's picture
Amazing 7 March, 2014 - 23:57

I don' have a diary, but I have a blog about literature.
I think it's a great idea to keep a diary and leave registered our experiences. Maybe one day I start writing in one.

Kittylove's picture
Kittylove 12 February, 2014 - 19:31

I used to write diaries but I couldn't do becouse everyday (nearly) I do the same things exept summer

Shirley's picture
Shirley 19 November, 2013 - 17:32

ႈI'm not used to writing diary. I'm really bored to write either my everyday events or my feelings. But sometimes I write a status on facebook- my special events or feelings when I'm very happy or so depressed.

KatieP's picture
KatieP 10 December, 2013 - 13:12

Shirley I think you have made a really interesting point about Facebook status updates, I think they are a great way to share with your friends an important event! I like to put my new experiences or feelings up there so everyone can see and share them with me. 

MALINE 10 November, 2013 - 15:54

I used to write a dairy when I was a child but now I don´t do it anymore but I think I´ll start writing one just this time mentionating the important events.

KatieP's picture
KatieP 11 November, 2013 - 14:46

I think its a great way to keep note of important events you're right! Sometimes I don't write a lot because I didn't do much that day but there's always something interesting I've seen or found out so I can keep note of that. 

Natalija 9 November, 2013 - 15:09

Yes, I've kept a diary ever since I was little. I still have my old notebooks and I like rereading them and thinking of my childhood and about my way of thinking when I was younger and less experienced, I don't have much time to write a lot now, but I usually write a couple of sentences daily, just to write down what happened to me that day, what made me laugh or cry, what made me happy or disappointed.
I've never written a blog before, but I'm thinking about it.

KatieP's picture
KatieP 11 November, 2013 - 14:50

I think that's really great that you always make the time to write a couple of sentences to write the most important things or feelings you felt that day. Hopefully I will still be able to do the same when I go home!

If you like writing then I also think blogs are a good idea. You can write anything you like and could even focus on a particular subject area if you are interested in something. I think blogs are good writing practice and are also impressive for future employers as you can show that you are comitted to and interested in something! 

Good Luck! :) 

KatieP's picture
KatieP 8 November, 2013 - 16:41

Yeah I agree, I'm really enjoying writing mine and also enjoy reading back to remember what I've experienced on my travels six months ago. I know I would never remember all the small details that made me happy at the time without my diary so it definitely is useful!

Harabeli Supersweet 8 November, 2013 - 14:25

Yes, I do, but I don't have time every day. I used to write a diary every day 4 years before. I think that it's such a useful way to record your life. Then, you can read it again and reflect about the things that you've been through, you can find a way to improve things. I feel better when I write, because I can express my emocions and it's a great way to improve writing skills. It's better to write a diary than to publicate your life online. You never know who's watching you!