Magazine blogBooks

Eight novels to help you learn English

10

One of the worst things I find about learning a language is the fact that it is vitally important to read books in your target language. I love reading, but I find it really hard to find the time to read because I usually like to read quickly and as a Literature student it is important for me to understand every word. I find it even harder to decide which books I am going to read, as I don’t want one that is too easy and boring, but neither do I want one which is too difficult and which demotivates me. I’ve compiled a list of a few books which aren’t too difficult but are enough to challenge you when you read in English.

1. Swallows and Amazons, Arthur Ransome
This is a book I read when I was 10 years old, from a local author who lives in the Lake District. It’s brilliant and explores the lives of four children as they adventure around Lake Coniston.

2. The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks
An amazing, heart-wrenching read!

3. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
Set in a dystopian future, Katniss must fight to stay alive in a sadistic game show. There are three books in the series so if you enjoy the first one, there are another two to read and four films to watch too! 

4. One Day, David Nicholls
A man and a woman meet at university, and the book follows their lives on the same date of every year.

5. The Fault in our Stars, John Green
A very real novel about two teenagers who fall in love while battling cancer. A major motion picture too!

6. Charlotte’s Web, E. B. White
A spider and a pig become firm friends!

7. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
This book is often studied in schools thanks to the hugely impacting themes it deals with, from racism to doing what is morally right.

8. A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket
This book, again the first in the series, actually explains some of the more complicated words it uses. It shows three orphans and how they battle against their conniving uncle to get their money back!

Have you found any books which have helped you learn English? Have you read any of the books on this list? Which is your favourite English novel? 

baroonmlk's picture
18 February, 2017 - 18:05

hi elsa007 !!!!
well , I've read so many book since i learnt how to read , and i,ve got to tell you that i,ve never read such books !!!
the story is about three little orphan children ( violet , nickolas and sunny ) who have lost their parent in a very mysterious accident , and now are trying to stay ALIVE (!) cause a really evil man called kont olaf is trying to steal them money that childrens parent have left for themand it doesn't semm like killing three little inocence children is important to him !!!!
i know that you won't be dissapointed by reading them !!!!!
love
baroonmlk

baroonmlk's picture
16 February, 2017 - 13:57

i've read a series of unfortunate event . though there were thirteen books , i read them three times :) i really recommend them to you all guys

EllenBlogger's picture
11 February, 2017 - 18:41

Hadia,
I know that feeling! I always have a pile of books a mile high! So many books, so little time..!!
I'm glad you like reaing as much as I do though! It's one of the best ways to learn a language!!
Ellen

Sheisamisa's picture
9 February, 2017 - 11:13

I've been reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird' because my friend recommended it for me. It's nice so far even though sometimes it's kind of hard for me to understand it. :))

EllenBlogger's picture
9 February, 2017 - 16:06

Hi Sheisamisa,

I love To Kill A Mockingbird! I had to study it in school and was outraged at how cruel people could be, but amazed at how wonderful Atticus is. There's a film, which may improve your understanding. I've learnt that when you read a book in another language, it is better not to look up all the words, as often they are not used in everyday speech and can be archaic or out of fashion. I only look words up now if i can't understand the sentence without them. 

I'm glad you like the book though!

Ellen