Books

The end of the library?

12
CatherineBlogger

When was the last time you went to your local library?  Last week?  A month ago?  A year ago?

For many reasons, borrowing books from libraries seems to be in decline. With advances in technology, it is now possible for people to download and read whatever they like on electronic devices such as Kindles. It has been argued that doing this is cheaper than buying hard-copy books. They are also lightweight, making them ideal for travelling.

Call me old-fashioned, but I’ve never got into the e-book: I like to have printed books lining my bookshelves; I love the smell of a new book; and I enjoy leafing through paper pages — as long as I avoid the paper cuts! Also, what would I do with my vast bookmark collection if everything I read was electronic?

So, even though I prefer paper books to e-books, I also prefer to own them myself. Libraries only lend books, so what use are they to someone like me, or to someone who only reads electronic books?

Personally, I still love libraries. They offer a quiet space to sit, read, think, do research … a real escape from the outside world. When I was at university, I frequently spent hours at the library and borrowed numerous journals, articles and other printed materials, as it was just too expensive to buy brand new books every week to read for seminars and lectures. Libraries are free!

Libraries often organise an array of interesting activities as well. At home, my local library hosted actors, historians and other speakers during the town’s annual art and literature festival. Well-known authors are also invited to libraries to give speeches or lead discussions about their work. Events such as these are a great way to appeal to people of all ages in the community and encourage the use of libraries.

Since moving abroad to work in Quebec for a year, the importance of libraries has become clear to me on an even more personal level. The school I work in has an incredible library, which is proving invaluable when I want a good book to read but am feeling conscious that everything I would want to read during the year is unlikely to fit in my suitcase by the time I go home! I am good friends with the school librarian, who I stayed with for two weeks when I first arrived in Quebec. She is planning to hold an all-night reading session in the library in the coming months, which I hope to get involved with … if I can stay awake!

There are still many fantastic ways to use libraries — maybe we just need to be more awake to them!

How often do you visit the library? Do you think libraries are useful?

CatherineBlogger's picture
CatherineBlogger 25 November, 2016 - 18:40

Thank you very much, Hadia :)
Best of luck with your reading too!  It is fortunate that you have found a book you enjoy which is also part of your study course.
I have heard that too!  Though my Auntie is nearly 60 and has just started learning Spanish, so it is never too late ;)
Good luck with your language learning!

cutey9909's picture
cutey9909 22 November, 2016 - 06:15

u r just like me seriously
i prefer library when i want to avoid lame classes also
it helps u make your own fiction world in daytime and at night in dreams

hadia 16 November, 2016 - 14:47

You are totally right.....
The smell of books is so lovely. My fingers lacing through my lovely books really take me to the world of the writer. I love reading Books and prefer them to electronic sources. There's no alternative to reading by BOOKS. Moreover, libraries are really peaceful and serene. Away from the noisy environment. A state of tranquility exists there. Yeah!! I visit my College Library oftenly and try exploring new books. Sitting on the bed and scrolling down the screens to read your stories is a boring activity. And that's making us lazy and lethargic. While reading in a library or let alone by a book in your room has its own perks. It's a felicitious task to do and I love reading by books.

CatherineBlogger's picture
CatherineBlogger 17 November, 2016 - 03:12

Hi hadia :) I completely agree, libraries are such great places to discover new books in a peaceful environment.  I'm glad you're able to visit your college library often, as libraries really are such valuable resources! I hope you have an enjoyable book to read at the moment!

hadia 17 November, 2016 - 15:13

Hi Catherine!
Thanks for the comment. Libraries are a great way to explore nee and good books. Thanks for the amazing article. Well, which type of books do you like reading. I kinda have an obssession with books and that's the reason why I am so interested in visiting library :)))

CatherineBlogger's picture
CatherineBlogger 20 November, 2016 - 00:44

Hi hadia!  No problem!  You're very right. :) That's very kind of you to say!  My favourite genre to read is historical fiction and I also enjoy reading classic novels.  Though I am trying to learn French at the moment, so am practising reading very simple fact books in French!  How about you?  It sounds like you enjoy reading many different kinds of books :)

hadia 23 November, 2016 - 15:12

Hi Catherine!!
Sorry for replying you late. You know, I also like classical literature. It's amazing and I'd prefer it to many. It's great to hear thay you like reading historical fiction. Few months ago, I read this book named, Escape From Oblivian. It was a real story about a prisoner. Quite impressive book it was. And the diction used too. The thing that got my rapt attention in that very book was that it contained history, war and reality.
Although, History had always been one of my favourite subjects at school, still, this was first history genre book that I really loved reading.
Learning a new language?? Wow. I'd love to learn Italian and French. But I never got a chance. May be some day.....I hope :))))

CatherineBlogger's picture
CatherineBlogger 24 November, 2016 - 00:32

Hi Hadia!
No problem – sometimes it takes me a few days to respond too! I'm hoping to start reading the classic Dracula this evening ... Wow, Escape From Oblivion sounds very interesting. I will have to take your suggestion and try and find it in the library! It's great that you enjoyed your first taste of historical literature so much. I studied History at university, so I think that's why I particularly like this genre.
Italian and French are such beautiful languages. It is fulfilling to learn a foreign language, but it takes a lot of work, doesn't it? Don't worry, there is always still time and hopefully you will be able to learn them one day! :)

hadia 24 November, 2016 - 15:08

Best of luck for your reading Catherine :)
At the moment, I'm reading Mr. Chips by James Hilton. It's inclucled in our study course. So yeah, I found it really interesting. Writer has really written it so beautifully.
You're so encouraging Catherine!! Thanks a lot. Yeah, I have much time to learn a language. But you know, I have read that young mind learns faster than old one. So at the age we are, it would be easy to learn a language. I will really try learning French and Italian particulary after I get into a University. ;))
Thanks again.