Books

Finding the motivation to read

28
IainG

I really do love to read. Escaping into another world in a work of fiction, or burying myself in news and 'general interest' articles has helped me to learn so much, and to enjoy myself greatly. Why, then, can I never find the time to read?

I think I read more than I realise. At work I am constantly reading: I read and write many emails; I research information to create activities and to look for inspiration for classes; and, as with many jobs, I often have to read reports.

I really cannot deny, then, that I read a lot at work, but this does not excite me at all. At school, along with all my classmates, I had to read plenty but I must admit that I did not particularly enjoy it. Being forced to analyse texts so much was never my cup of tea. I found it difficult, stressful and boring. Now, reading at work, I feel the same. I do not read for pleasure there, I just have to do it.

I do love reading but after spending a day at work reading, the motivation to pick up another pile of papers filled with words fills me with dread.

When I do sit down to read, most often I head to the web to look at news articles and, particularly, the blogs posted on newspaper websites. The New Yorker (an American magazine) also publishes some fantastic articles on all sorts of subjects, and I try to follow a couple of authors’ blogs (mainly Andrew Solomon and David Sedaris). And, of course, I usually have a book that I can say I’m reading, even if it does take me a (very) long time to do so. I'm currently reading Gabriel García Márquez’s 'Chronicles of a Death Foretold'.

Once I sit down to read these things, I really like it, especially long articles or books, which, no matter where I am – at home, on the bus, or in a coffee shop – I am enthralled and entrapped by the stories.

Sitting down to do this is difficult. Before starting to read I feel tired and a bit too crabby to be picking up a book. As soon as I do, though, I become mesmerised by the story, and can read for hours on end.

Do you sometimes find it difficult to find the motivation to read after school or work? What are some of your favourite authors and books?

sona's picture
sona 30 October, 2015 - 17:39

Yes,I always find it difficult to read after school ,because I had a lot of study and I can't have time to eat,not even to read. However,when I have just a little free time,I always spend it doing exercise or going out with my friends,because my eyes are tired and I would like to breathe fresh air. On the other hand,I often read books for hours at the weekend,when I have free time. My favourite writer is Mark Twain ,because I love books with adventure.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 10 January, 2015 - 14:47

Never,never,never. sometimes I cannot resist hiding my books and reading them while I eat, study or when I do something where I'm forbidden to read while doing it.
I love the hunger games trilogy , percy Jackson and the Olympians, hereoes of Olympus, Kane chronicles and many classics like pride and prejudice and sense and sensibility. I also love anne of green gables series and not to forget the famous Harry Potter series. There's a lot more to my favorites but the list would be too long to mention. Does anyone else enjoy the above mentioned books as much as I do?

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 8 January, 2015 - 07:21

I'm never fed up when it come to reading and I scolded at times for behaving like I don't care when people are there cosz I keep on reading like mad.Lately ,I read Khaled Hosseni's Kite Runner which enchanted me.Inspite of myse age I really love bedtime stories for girls too..Apart from that Harry Potter series cathy glass series,Chicken soup especially mum and daughter soul and waiting longingly to read Girl's soul.....Also all time favourites
Sherlock Holmes and Poirot series..
Enid blyton(as for her I am able to read anything I get hold of even now>Naughtiest girl and Famous Five are the best..

LuckyLakeBlackbird's picture
LuckyLakeBlackbird 31 December, 2014 - 13:02

I like reading and I spend a lot of my freetime for books.There are some special books and when you read them, you`re in the story too!But there are some boaring books too and when you`re finish with reading you say:"Why read theese boring book?There are so many interseting books, but I, I must read theese boring book, ofcourse!"

jagalskarfotboll's picture
jagalskarfotboll 28 September, 2014 - 22:31

Yeah to read after school is very difficult and quite boring but sometimes you are forced to read and make homework , that because I think to find some motivation to help you to continue work is very smart. Usually when I am tied and I have to do my homework i just take a brief nap and after that i wake up with eagerness and make my assignment.

Natalija 21 September, 2014 - 10:05

For me, reading after school is very relaxing and I really enjoy it. I agree that sometimes it is hard to concentrate on reading when you have to study a lot for school and have other obligations, but it is important to find time and really enjoy in books. My favorite authors are Khaled Hosseini, Orhan Pamuk, George Orwell and Scot Fitzgerald. My favorite books are 1984., Farenheit 451, The museum of innocence, Book thief, Beautiful and damned and Kite runner.

Harabeli Supersweet 18 August, 2014 - 14:35

No, I don't. I'm always motivated to read. It comes naturally to me. Some of my favourite books are "Anna Karenina", "The book thief", "Elegance of the hedgehog" etc.

justcricketforme 16 August, 2014 - 15:05

No, reading and writing are two main hobbies before cricket. I love to read and my favourite book is Divergent by Veronica Roth. I have two favourite authors: Veronica Roth and J.K. Rowling. I've just finished Allegiant, the last book of the Divergent triology even thought I had a heartbreak because Tris died, I enjoyed it.

Rio007's picture
Rio007 30 July, 2014 - 11:44

No, I don't find it difficult to find the motivation to read after school, because i love reading books. After a bad day at school i can just say goodbye to this reality and jump in another world ,the world of imagination, the world of a book for 2 or 3 hours. I adore books because they were there for me in moments of loneliness when noone else was. Moreover a good book even if you already feel great will make you feel better that great. I personally read all kinds of books but my favourite authors are : Tomas Hardi, Nicholas Sparks, Stefan Cvajg, John Green, Jane Austen etc

SherlockHolmes_13's picture
SherlockHolmes_13 25 July, 2014 - 13:03

I love reading.I have got a lot of books at home.My favourite is Dead Poets Society. :D

saba's picture
saba 25 July, 2014 - 12:13

i really don't have the guts to read any more honestly i didn't even read the blog entries i just read some of the short coments to see what the conversation is about!!!! i always do this!!! : )
i'm pretty lazy at reading

cklj's picture
cklj 23 July, 2014 - 18:39

That has never happened. In fact I relax by sitting to read after a school. I hope that never happens, I don't want reading books to be difficult to me.
My favourite books are: "Wings", "The Hunger Games", "The Fault in Our Stars" and some books written by Macedonian authors.

Harabeli Supersweet 18 August, 2014 - 14:38

I read "The fault in our stars" too. I really love that book. It was a birthday present from my best friends and the dedication that is written on the first page makes it even more special.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 24 July, 2014 - 16:15

Hi cklj,
We have a video coming soon about The Fault in Our Stars. Keep your eyes open for that if you're a fan! :) 
Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

HereWeGo's picture
HereWeGo 21 July, 2014 - 12:49

Yes, sometimes it's very difficult to take a book and read, but once i have done that, i can't stop. Some of my favourite books are 'The man in the iron mask', 'The wonderful wizard of Oz', 'The secret garden'...

Sara_H's picture
Sara_H 20 July, 2014 - 20:30

after school it's difficult to find motivation because i am tired and i don't really want to read but i tried cause i like reading.my favourite book it's david coperfield.

AzulM's picture
AzulM 18 July, 2014 - 04:28

Yes, sometimes is very difficult find the time to read. With the classes, the homeworks and the other obligations. I don´t have motivation when I have a lot of things for do, and that makes me angry. Because I have to force myself for sit down to read, and that's a thing that I do, in the start, for fun. Some books I liked are: the Harry Potter's series, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak (I finished that one week ago), "The Hunger Games"

Harabeli Supersweet 18 August, 2014 - 14:43

"The Book Thief" is a masterpiece. I love it. And it's the firs novel I have ever read in English. It made me feel more confident about my English and the end really touched my heart.
P.S. I like your profile picture. Olaf is pretty cool!

Niluh 14 July, 2014 - 13:53

Yes, it's really really difficult! I don't know why i constantly found myself that i don't wanna do anything after school, just lying on my bed or wasting time on the internet. I try to read at least one English article in order to improve my English and you know i always feel lazy and crabby to read just one article.

Negar1995's picture
Negar1995 12 July, 2014 - 07:23

i love reading but its hard to find a good book. i love harry potter and the last leaf.

LiliyaM's picture
LiliyaM 7 July, 2014 - 11:45

Sometimes I can`t find a motivation to read especially when I just have ended a great series. My favorite genres are fantasy and crime.

yuumj's picture
yuumj 6 July, 2014 - 12:05

After my bust workday, I find it's very difficult to pick up a book and read it. I can fall asleep when reading. Anyway, I love the Shopaholic series written by Sophie Kinsella. I love how cute this series is, the way its make me laugh out loud when reading.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 6 July, 2014 - 16:57

Hi yuumj,
Just to remind you that this website is for registered users who are between 13 and 17 years old. It sounds like you may be older than that. If you are 18 or over please register and comment on our LearnEnglish site only. 
Thanks a lot. Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

mom98's picture
mom98 27 June, 2014 - 08:16

yes I sometimes find it very difficult but when I start reading I love it and I continue until I fall asleep

Dia's picture
Dia 24 June, 2014 - 19:41

Yes, sometimes after work i find difficult to find the motivation to read because i am tired , but I like very much to read.
my favourite books is " Tainele trecutului" by Amanda Quick and my favourite authors is Daniel Steel ,Sandra Brown and Amanda Quick.

JuliaP's picture
JuliaP 24 June, 2014 - 19:26

Yeah to start reading is rather difficult but it needs to open the book and to try to read just a few pages -and you'll continue!!! I find motivation by way of understanding that books are very important for me, they make me better. People must become cleverer-people must read instead they'll die.