Books

Learning to love e-readers

5
AliceBlogger

My name is Alice and I am a book addict. I have loved reading ever since I learned how to do it, and as a child could always be found clutching a book – while eating dinner, in the bath, walking down the street! As an adult, I have just graduated with a degree in English Literature, so have spent three years doing even more reading than usual.

As a result, I have a lot of books. My room is full of huge stacks, from childhood favourites to those I haven’t even read yet. So when I decided to move to Spain to work as a language assistant with the British Council, I faced a big problem. I had one suitcase for a ten-month stay, so I had to learn to pack lightly. Normally, I bring at least ten books on a two-week holiday (I like to have options!), so it would be impossible to pack enough for a whole year. My Spanish is not good enough to read whole novels yet, and I didn’t know I would find English language bookshops in Sevilla, so I couldn’t rely on buying books when I arrived. My only option was e-books.

The problem? I have always hated e-readers! I even wrote an article about it for my coursework when I was at school. I love physical books and bookshops so much, and e-books seemed emotionless and scientific in comparison. But in Spain, my choice was e-books or no books, so my brother and sister-in-law bought me an Amazon Kindle for my birthday in the summer, with an Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland case to make it look like a real book.

Now I have been in Spain for one month and am on my sixth e-book, and I’m starting to love my Kindle! I still prefer real books, and have four of my favourites with me for comfort*, but the e-reader means I never have to worry about running out of reading material. There are some elements I hate, such as the feature which tells you how much you have read as a percentage, but in general it has become one of my most important possessions!

*For those interested, the lucky few are – Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, Hons and Rebels by Jessica Mitford and, of course, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling.

Do you prefer e-readers or physical books?

y110's picture
y110 24 November, 2016 - 16:25

I am agree with my friend. Physical books are better than e.books. But a big problem is about the cost of the physical books and another problem, we have to cut a lot of tree to produce paper.

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 4 November, 2016 - 09:07

I really prefer physical books much more than e-readers. It feels so so good to turn over the pages with my fingers and look the printed letters on the paper. I think it is more comfortable to read a physical book than an e-book. But I don't mean I completely reject the e-books. As AliceBlogger said,if a book addict travels, he or she will want to carry many books. At that case, the physical books cannot be fit. So, the e-books are a good choice to solve this problem of the suitcase being too much heavy. But the e-book is only good for the traveling purpose. When you normally read, I mean, when you don't have to travel, I would recommend to just read the physical books. The light from the screen can damage your eyes so you may return more troubles than advantages from e-books.